Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Well nature is stocking up on food, bird feeders all emptied today our own sheep doing snow dances and some blackface sheep a few miles up the road have gone on a walk about looking for greener grass. A fairly good day untill late afternoon when when it got a bit showery and the wind rose. Still windy and currently 5.9c

Cart full of turnips, silage bales next steading and extra bedding straw under cover ready for some working inside only days.

• Like 9
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted
    2 hours ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Forgive my skepticism but as far as snow in Glasgow is concerned I'll believe it when I see it, particularly when the direction of attack is from the north. And with the forecast temps, even if any snow does make it here I doubt there will be much to it.

I can't see this being too prolonged either. Just a wee cold snap of the kind you should expect during winter. Nice to have, but I can't see it being one to remember.

Reverse psychology Glaswegianblizzard? :)

You're probably right though it hardly snows in town, better being out the urban heat islands to get snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

Took the dog out for a walk in the park wind is rising but its dry and clear... would anyone know how much snow whitburn will get out of this event?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Loving your work @Hawesy I would bank that all day long

Model thread out of control....could get very very messy....always worst/best in there when it's showing snow and cold for SE 

I'm still feeling good about this spell though....cold air gonna be a shock when it hits....I really hope get some blustery wintry showers....I love nothing more than  seeing flakes blowing everywhere 

• Like 8
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
    2 minutes ago, edo said:

.I love nothing more than  seeing flakes blowing everywhere 

This is always an exciting sight..... but I wouldn't say I love it more than anything else.... I quite like money for example - probably a bit more than blizzards.

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
    7 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

This is always an exciting sight..... but I wouldn't say I love it more than anything else.... I quite like money for example - probably a bit more than blizzards.

Yeah true, but if you had enough money, wouldn't oneof the things you'd spend it on be holidays in places where you could get real snow-fixes?  I always have to remind myself money is just a means to happiness, not happiness itself...  so just earning lots doesn't mean you're happy, you have to do stuff too   :mellow:

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

@Hawesy I would happily bank same as @edo! Something white I can play in would be amazing! It's been sooo long!

I really hope its a white-oot for everyone in our group on one day or another over the next cold spell. Always fun when we are all twitching at our curtains and squinting at lamp posts. :friends:

Its currently quite breezy here. There was talk of it being windy later this week too is that still the case? 

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
    3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

You know there's potential for snow when you turn up!! Have I even spoken to you since I moved to the dark side? :D Long time no see. 

All good here sir! Yourself? And what dark side would this be? :rofl: 

The far east of southern Scotland, not sure when I spoke to you last. It's different than being out west that's for sure :) 

Posted

The far east of southern Scotland, not sure when I spoke to you last. It's different than being out west that's for sure :) 

Ah yes I remember you moved there. Kilmalcolm seems a distant memory for both of us now! I was in the borders last year so I do feel you pain (I jest)

• Like 1
    Posted

You know there's potential for snow when you turn up!! Have I even spoken to you since I moved to the dark side? :D Long time no see. 

And that's very true mate. The best forecast for snow is if I turn up on the forum, I'm sure here's some science in there somewhere :rofl::rofl:

• Like 3
    Posted
    28 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

This could be a risky thread if i started listing everything I like :D  

Keeping it clean though not just my love of snow but seeing how excited the kids would be is priceless 

My 6 year old came down on Monday morning looking all sad and when I asked her what was wrong she said Xmas is over the holidays are over and we have had no snow......it must be genetic 

• Like 7
    Posted

Blowing a gale here, 9c and absolutely bucketing it down with rain. Lovely. You wouldnt think a cold snap was lurking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
    2 minutes ago, edo said:

This could be a risky thread if i started listing everything I like :D  

Keeping it clean though not just my love of snow but seeing how excited the kids would be is priceless 

My 6 year old came down on Monday morning looking all sad and when I asked her what was wrong she said Xmas is over the holidays are over and we have had no snow......it must be genetic 

Ok, I'll rise to the bait - first thing I can remember enjoying was the sound of my Dad singing Gaelic songs - he played the recorder wonderfully well too, but his singing voice took me to other places...

• Like 5
    Posted
    43 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Yeah true, but if you had enough money, wouldn't oneof the things you'd spend it on be holidays in places where you could get real snow-fixes?  I always have to remind myself money is just a means to happiness, not happiness itself...  so just earning lots doesn't mean you're happy, you have to do stuff too   :mellow:

Certainly no point in saving it now - the interest rate is pathetic.....

When I have the money - it's not so much the snow I want to see - I've seen snow.... but a 15 day cruise around the arctic circle to see the Northern Lights would tick some of my boxes :cold:

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Getting a bit confusing  for me with the GFS slow to make its mind up.   Think I'll just sit back now and see what turns up.   Wind picking up out,  with quite a few big gusts here.

I can understand that there is some concern on the MOD about a possible storm surge down the North sea.  A long time ago now (1953) but has anyone else read what happend?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-depth/1953-east-coast-flood

Needs watching as again it will clash with high Spring tides:

(Chart courtesy Nouska - MOD.)

nww3-0-60_pqz4.png

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 4
    Posted

Interesting read @Blitzen

An interesting period of weather coming up...also have to remember the focus down south is very much on the hunt for an easterly.....the GFS was still a fairly cold run....this cold snap which was originally Friday Saturday is now Wed night to probably at least Sunday and plenty indications a lot longer....

Hopefully everyone sees some interesting weather over the next week 

• Like 7
    Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Eh, It's a bit fkn wild oot here noo!

Noisy night ahead me thinks with the wind roaring through the nearby trees.

Hope we a' get some snaw in the coming days!

Big Innes

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    2 minutes ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Eh, It's a bit fkn wild oot here noo!

You're not kidding!   Lights flickering too!

• Like 2
    Posted

Well..... this is an interesting temperature increase!

temp_compare.png

• Like 1
    Posted

Hmmmm travel home from work looks a bit hairy -

Horizontal Sleet!!!!!!

Netweather Extra.png

• Like 1
    Posted

Drive from Stirling to Glasgow was a bit hairy - couple of times nearly got blown into a truck or the central reservation.

That said however, I'm looking forward to seeing the "weather bomb", and also the "THUNDERSNOW" armageddon that's coming today and tomorrow.  Flaming newspapers making this out to be a Day After Tomorrow storm.

• Like 4