Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
    6 minutes ago, mardatha said:

.....Making popcorn and getting ready to watch!

I'm going for something more 'industrial'....

....The wife'll go nuts when she sees all the cushions nail gunned to the wall but I don't fancy a concussion by Friday  :wallbash:

• Like 5
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Some fairly heavy rain here yesterday and feeling quite miserably in the gusty wind at between 3 - 5'C. Tomorrow looks potentially interesting! 

Posted

Hard to believe that we in for a pretty decent snowfall pretty soon possibly despite how mild it feels out there today. You wouldn't think it. Lot drier today than it was yesterday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

loving the los santos ramp @Polar Gael

• Like 2
    Posted

Kilted weather tool updated to remove bad links and update others. Please download from my signature

• Like 4
    Posted
    1 minute ago, Cheggers said:

Kilted weather tool updated to remove bad links and update others. Please download from my signature

Nice one.....Thanks

Posted
    5 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Ah, Fife has now been removed from the Met Office warnings.....which given past experience usually bodes well here :wink:

Yep - given the setup I'm not in the least surprised to see the Lothians and Borders removed either. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
    7 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Yep - given the setup I'm not in the least surprised to see the Lothians and Borders removed either. 

I feel a drive north is warranted.

Edited by Benvironment
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Oh....Fife is back on again. And so is....erm.....Leith :wink:

Edit - Damn my geography! I mean North Berwick :cc_confused:

Edited by Benvironment
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Compulsively keep checking the Met/BBC forecasts for here and of course they keep changing. According to them though it's looking a bit marginal for snow here until the real cold beds in Fri/Sat, by which time the showers have probably died out.

Ach, lamppost watching is the only really accurate method anyway. Maybe combined with a walk up a hill at the weekend if the wind has died down.

• Like 5
    Posted

Hmm not sure what will happen here in south Glasgow, usually showers are underestimated on a north westerly so hoping they are more widespread...  The flows a bit too northerly on Thursday so will have to see what the wintry showers bring on Wed evening! 

Meto warning hints at a possible mild sector on Thursday....

Posted

For what it's worth, parts of Lanarkshire also seem to be coming in and out of the warnings with subtle Met Office manipulations of the yellow shaded areas each time they're updated, and the forecast symbols keep changing.

Definite lamp-post watching scenario, by the looks of things!

Posted

Yep agree, if you look at the meto forecast map on Facebook it shows snow all the way across to Edinburgh and down south from there. Although I guess maybe expecting those to be lower amounts than warning area. Either way I'll keep and eye on the radar and drive north on Thursday if needed!

Edited by Ross B
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

Compulsively keep checking the Met/BBC forecasts for here and of course they keep changing. According to them though it's looking a bit marginal for snow here until the real cold beds in Fri/Sat, by which time the showers have probably died out.

Ach, lamppost watching is the only really accurate method anyway. Maybe combined with a walk up a hill at the weekend if the wind has died down.

I'd take my chances with the 06z GFS for your location overnight on Thursday into Friday. It might need a slight tweak but I'd take that chance for a lot of the NE. It's certainly a better position than a NWly. It's marginal as hell as the occlusion heads south but anyone just on the correct side of the margin is going to get a pasting off that. Big snow right there!! 

IMG_1704.PNGIMG_1702.PNGIMG_1701.PNGIMG_1703.PNG

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
    13 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'd take my chances with the 06z GFS for your location overnight on Thursday into Friday. It might need a slight tweak but I'd take that chance for a lot of the NE. It's certainly a better position than a NWly. It's marginal as hell as the occlusion heads south but anyone just on the correct side of the margin is going to get a pasting off that. Big snow right there!! 

IMG_1704.PNGIMG_1702.PNGIMG_1701.PNGIMG_1703.PNG

That looks like heavy rain near the coast and heavy sleet inland unless you're up a big hill... Looking at dewpoints then, it's all close to 0C for the NE corner, so I guess could swing either way. So as you say, marginal, marginal, marginal.... I wonder which way it'll go :unknw:

Edited by Hairy Celt
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    10 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'd take my chances with the 06z GFS for your location overnight on Thursday into Friday. It might need a slight tweak but I'd take that chance for a lot of the NE.

That did look like the best outcome forecast so far, at least for precipitation in NE Scotland. Now just give me that, plus the temps from the ECM and I'll likely be a very happy boy come Friday morning.

Incidently, yr.no forecast for my area, so based on ECM, has us sub zero from Friday right through to the end of the forecast the following Thursday with just one short excursion into positive territory, getting as low as -10C on occasions and a high of -4C on Monday. Personally I can't quite see that happening.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    16 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

That looks like heavy rain near the coast and heavy sleet inland unless you're up a big hill... Looking at dewpoints then, it's all close to 0C for the NE corner, so I guess could swing either way. So as you say, marginal, marginal, marginal.... I wonder which way it'll go :unknw:

It's messy but better risking that than a cold breeze from the west :) It does need a few tweaks depending on where people live. If the occlusion is running north to south and you can stay on the western side of it then it's dream time. Like most big snow events in this country it's marginal. Probs won't even come off like that so we'll never know. 

GFS even has me down for a few cm from the same feature as it slides down the coast.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
    4 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

This is new from SEPA http://beta.sepa.org.uk/rainfall Show last few days rainfall data from the SEPA gauges, rainfall for current month and current year too. Just click on the coloured dots. 

SEPAdots.png

Further to Jo's post if anybody would like to be an administrator for my Netatmo site drop me your twitter handle or email address and I will invite you. Similair data, maybe more graphs and has current temp and rain data that you can trend back a year on some. Cheers

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 15.32.17.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 15.32.47.png

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=weather-alerts;reg=2;sess=1d71c9ca98f21864cb15dcb3ac6c7e32 Wind warning for tonight, looks lively for Scotland with snow showers appearing, conditions will be horrid by the morning for some. All westerly for Wednesday. Next to consider  Thursday

• Like 2
    Posted

Friday now subject to Met Office snow warnings for just about the whole of Scotland in the northerly flow - two slightly different warnings north and south of the central belt.  Not convinced about my own location as it notes that 

"Some inland areas, sheltered from the northerly wind, seem likely to escape most of the showers."

But it looks promising for some parts, and it does seem to have the 'wishbone' effect on the showers very far south (northern England).

Model Thread is also getting excited about upgrades for Friday, which perhaps augurs less well! 

Edited by spindrift1980
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Yes, i think everywhere could see 'some' snow.

As long as we're realistic then i don't think too many will be dissapointed. 

Updated Met Office forecasts are good for many places. I've checked a fair few, if i had to pick anywhere i'd want to be in say Lanark. Far enough west to get hit by the showers (snow from tomorrow night), little bit above sea level and the more organised band of snow that may or may not head down the eastern side looks to hit there too.

Hopefully we all get at least a little! :)

Currently a mild 9.7c

Edited by SW Saltire
    • Like 1
    Posted

Be very surprised if Embra gets anything (before the weekend at least) - 101 lives outside the bypass and up a hill so he doesn't count :D

• Like 2