Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Yeah huge downgrade on metoffice app for here. Want to cry, anything will be a bonus :(

Posted
9 minutes ago, 101_North said:

The closer we get to this 'event' the more I reckon I'll be lucky to see any lying snow. Current forecasts are a big downgrade on yesterday and apart from a short window overnight Euro4 doesn't show much for here! Standard westerly behaviour really so not sure why I let myself believe otherwise :D

Agreed 101 - just looks dry and cold for us sadly - usual northerly fare

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Heavy showers all day round here - inner Moray Firth - becoming increasingly wintry and the temp's dropping too. Anomolous spike of 9C very early this morning, now between 2C and 3C mostly.  It was very gusty overnight too - lots of leaf litter redistribution this morning.

Heck and gosh - work stood down due to unsuitable weather so I should get to enjoy the next few days after all :yahoo:. That'll ensure we get lots of sleet...

• Like 3

Posted

That's better. Air must be getting colder now as that last shower did leave the hills with more of a covering. Getting there

• Like 2

Posted
44 minutes ago, 101_North said:

The closer we get to this 'event' the more I reckon I'll be lucky to see any lying snow. Current forecasts are a big downgrade on yesterday and apart from a short window overnight Euro4 doesn't show much for here! Standard westerly behaviour really so not sure why I let myself believe otherwise :D

Have a wee lookie at this animation, may cheer you up a bit.
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=snow;sess=

• Like 1

Posted

A definite downgrade on the Met Office updates IMBY this afternoon with more emphasis on words like 'sleet' and 'wintry showers' - precipitation symbols on the graphical forecast have lower % chance precipitation, sparser showers and even rain at times overnight :wallbash: How are the dew points looking for later?

I've revised my expectations to 0cm lying snow at home in Motherwell once again, and maybe 2-5cm on higher ground like East Kilbride.  Hoping to be proved wrong though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I commute daily between Glasgow and Edinburgh, I wonder what the journey will be like via train tomorrow and Friday? Hopefully there won't be much disruption on the lines. Imagine having to be put up in a hotel for the night, the horror ;) seriously though, does anyone else share the same concern?

Edited by WhiteXmas

Posted
3 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

Have a wee lookie at this animation, may cheer you up a bit.
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=snow;sess=

The snow level on that animation is generally about 200-300m above sea level away from the most inland/central Highland parts, though, so suspect it will largely be a non-event for low ground.  Hoping to be wrong though!

Posted
18 minutes ago, spindrift1980 said:

The snow level on that animation is generally about 200-300m above sea level away from the most inland/central Highland parts, though, so suspect it will largely be a non-event for low ground.  Hoping to be wrong though!

These attempts at reverse psychology on the weather, despite your best efforts, will not bear any fruit :p As always, it's near impossible to accurately forecast this kind of weather. Think back 7 years just before Christmas time, who would have thought that weather front would have stalled right across the whole of central Scotland and given over a foot of snow for some! Just enjoy the prospect, it's certainly better than anything we've even had a sniff of in the last couple of years. Furthermore, the models are suggesting a more prolonged period of cold and with that some more shots at the elusive snowflakes; so to summarise it's quite a good time for cold/snow lovers if we put it in context with the last couple of years.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, WhiteXmas said:

These attempts at reverse psychology on the weather, despite your best efforts, will not bear any fruit :p As always, it's near impossible to accurately forecast this kind of weather. Think back 7 years just before Christmas time, who would have thought that weather front would have stalled right across the whole of central Scotland and given over a foot of snow for some! Just enjoy the prospect, it's certainly better than anything we've even had a sniff of in the last couple of years. Furthermore, the models are suggesting a more prolonged period of cold and with that some more shots at the elusive snowflakes; so to summarise it's quite a good time for cold/snow lovers if we put it in context with the last couple of years.

It's not reverse psychology, just good old-fashioned Scottish pessimism!

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, spindrift1980 said:

It's not reverse psychology, just good old-fashioned Scottish pessimism!

I'm not sure if that's Scottish, or Lanarkshire! :rofl:

Spoiler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

This sort of thing drives me up the wall - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-38586981

Seriously - it would be different if there weren't warnings for severe weather - but there is, and have been for days.  Why do people persist in going "oh well, we'll just go anyway"

:wallbash:

• Like 6

Posted

Well temp has taken a dive down to 1C and snaw flurries keep passing through, wet slush mess now building on my dustbins.

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

I hear tale its been snowing in Blairgowrie, but only rain here. Temp still at about 3C  :nonono: 

Is it snowing in Stirling? 

Posted
9 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

This sort of thing drives me up the wall - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-38586981

Seriously - it would be different if there weren't warnings for severe weather - but there is, and have been for days.  Why do people persist in going "oh well, we'll just go anyway"

Ben Lomond is (unfortunately) along with Ben Nevis, and to a lesser extent The Cobbler and some of the other most well-known hills, a magnet for people who treat the hills and weather casually.  These are the kind of conditions in the Highlands today (albeit on a 4,000-footer, a good bit higher than Ben Lomond), from a video on the Scottish Avalanche Information Service website.  Anyone who goes to the higher hills today needs their head examined (although I'm hoping to go up a hill of some kind on Saturday!!) I walked to East Kilbride town centre at lunch time in a short-lived sleet blizzard and that was harsh enough! 

Edited by spindrift1980
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Thanks @spindrift1980 I like snow as much as the next guy - but seriously - who really enjoys being in *that* -

"let's go to the hills, we'll get frostbite, we may lose some limbs and succumb to hypothermia - we won't actually be able to talk to each other and breathing will be difficult - but let's go anyway - because it will be fun"

..... and the Darwin award goes to......

• Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

£20 the group is from England.

• Like 2

Posted

Going to the hills in winter conditions CAN be fun if you use your head to choose a suitable time, but there are days where you just need to say that it's not a hill day, and (as you say) it's not as though today's conditions haven't been well forecast and advertised!

• Like 1