Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

@biggreyface its a bit early to write off Xmas day as driech....still plenty chance will see high pressure well established that is not producing some pesky cloud...

it is rather boring though to say the least....if one more tool in the MT says at least its not causing flooding for people or at least my fence is safe I will scream...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, edo said:

@biggreyface its a bit early to write off Xmas day as driech....still plenty chance will see high pressure well established that is not producing some pesky cloud...

it is rather boring though to say the least....if one more tool in the MT says at least its not causing flooding for people or at least my fence is safe I will scream...

AT LEAST IT'S MILD

<ducks>

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Very last of ploughing done today ground turning up very dry for time of year . Could sow into it, probably in much better condition than in the spring when the snow will arrive! Raked up last of leaves in corners of garden and underneath daffs are on their way.

Bit of an easterly wind at times today always reminds me of years gone by as cold crept in from the east over the Christmas period resulting in a green Christmas  and a white New Year.

Currently a moderate southerly wind,  bright moonlit sky and 6c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

I'll take some pictures tomorrow, but I'm 80% sure that at least one tree in our garden appears to have new leaf buds on it.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
9 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

AT LEAST IT'S MILD

<ducks>

You ain't joking, it's currently 9.9C here at 8am in mid Dec. 

Looking ahead, this mornings GFS model would probably see most of us wake up to snow on Xmas morning... 

gfs-2-264.png gfs-1-264.png gfs-0-264.png

Maybe a bit marginal and way too far away yet to be seen as anything but an outside possibility. 

ECM still doesn't go out quite far enough for Xmas day but looks quite wild and potentially snowy on Xmas eve... 

ECM0-240.GIF?14-12 ECM1-240.GIF?14-12

If that looks like verifying then don't leave your Xmas shopping to the last minute. 

Models still chopping and changing so no doubt many more twists and turns to come. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

OH PLEASE GOD PLEASE GIMME SOME DECENT WEATHER - I'll be so good it will be sickening- just gimme some snaw! :diablo::yahoo::cold-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted

GFS 6z really ramping up the theme around the 22nd/23rd

198-574UK.GIF?14-6  216-574UK.GIF?14-6

There's rain shown between those charts though so still very marginal and very uncertain at that range.

Posted

Trees have buds all the way from autumn to spring - next year's growth in development.  Also some trees (eg alder) start flowering in winter.  Odder would be leaf buds bursting at this time...

We have 12C just now with a stiff south-westerly [Mandy] breeze. (Why are there no Mandys any more?)  Almost as warm as that heatwave all of er 10 days ago was it?

Wind's dropped, it's dark as a very dark thing and drizzly. Radar suggests it's going to be a crap few hours.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

GFS 6z really ramping up the theme around the 22nd/23rd

198-574UK.GIF?14-6  216-574UK.GIF?14-6

There's rain shown between those charts though so still very marginal and very uncertain at that range.

Love a cold zonality westerly! Can really deliver around these parts - always enjoy watching the snow showers on the radar as they make their way from North Uist, to Portree to here! 

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@Ravelin beat me to it!! Where did the ECM pluck that from? Major snow storm for the west and north, if that comes off you'll all be buried. Almost useless for here though!! 

I'm not liking that. I'm not even TALKING to you now. 

*scunnered*

• Like 1

Posted

If you are lucky enough to have a clear sky around now, the moon is quite spectacular - large and bright orange. Tried to get a photo, (with the lens cap on :wallbash:) but after sorting the prob, the moon had more or less disappeared behind clouds.

btw it has turned quite mild and still - 10C

Edited by ciel
  • Like 4

Posted

Dry and mild in NE Fife today, temperature up at 12c again. Tentative but growing signs of a cooler regime in about a week's time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Morning. Would quite like a change of weather now, anything really just for a bit of variety. Was in Cardiff for work Monday and Tuesday and almost got excited when I was rained on.  5 degrees and cloudy this morning on the "drop OH to the station trip ".

Edited by snowidea
  • Like 2

Posted

Mild and damp by Buckie but the sky's clearing. Back at work for the Xmas run-in straight, site looks like a mud bomb's gone off.

Charts... my hunch is the only one of us that'll see snow will be @Ravelin.  Tempted to hop on a plane and join you.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

@Hairy Celt, there's still a chance of some of us at least seeing snow before or around Xmas, it keeps changing every run but it does keep showing up. Heading to the Alps helps increase the chances, but it also increases stress levels, especially when you have had a huge Euro high parked over them, for the second year running too.

I think I vaguely remember my weather station showing 4.6C around 8am this morning. The day has pretty much been grey, breezy and cool. ZZZzzzz...

Posted
27 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

@Hairy Celt, there's still a chance of some of us at least seeing snow before or around Xmas, it keeps changing every run but it does keep showing up. Heading to the Alps helps increase the chances, but it also increases stress levels, especially when you have had a huge Euro high parked over them, for the second year running too.

I think I vaguely remember my weather station showing 4.6C around 8am this morning. The day has pretty much been grey, breezy and cool. ZZZzzzz...

Don't the GFS and all the others usually flipflop through December, and we get the same old same old most years.  Apart from about 4 good uns in the last 20 if I remember right, but that's just Black Isle, probably a few more for most places.  I just look at the dwindling amount of arctic sea ice and cold air in the arctic even compared to 20 years ago and think, maybe we'll get lucky, but doesn't seem likely.

Posted

Just to be clear, when I say some of us might see snow, it'll likely be transient and lucky if it lies. I'm not talking of anything 'special'.

Posted
On 14/12/2016 at 17:12, CatchMyDrift said:

You don't live here, you live the best part of 30 miles west of me?? 

Do I??  OOOOOOH then that's ok!  :rofl: phew

Posted

Could somebody tell me what pressure means on a chart? When I see charts for pressure it means nothing to me. I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass honest, I'm just fedup of looking at all the lovely colours and thinking Hmmm. Nice. Wonder what the hell it means... :sorry:

• Like 1

Posted

Mild,  dark, damp  and overcast this morning on leaving home this morning, 7C  and no wind to speak of. Pleasant light at sun-up later and signs of a break in the sky to the south east.

sunrise arbroath train -3 ipad -1.jpg

Arbroath Coast (ipad from  train)

Heading west it became gloomier -  interesting to watch the change. overhead - Glasgow grey, mild and drizzly. (grumpy taxi drivers too)

Back home  later, still 7C.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

In what sense what does it mean? The numbers show the air pressure in millibars, generally low pressure brings unsettled weather and high pressure brings settled weather. None of the colours show air pressure. 

So I look at the numbers then and ignore the colours. Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

This Dec up to now has been one borefest!!!!!! 

Posted

Hints in the model thread that snow may still appear over the festive period. Without being to  contraversial  being about 500 miles closer to the Arctic Circle will help our  chances here in Scotland.Currently dull and 9c

• Like 3