Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
    1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Inverness could well be the warmest place in the UK tomorrow

0e24c0d5-27d9-4b68-8a5d-1be72cbec8ba.png

Incredible if so. A difference of 27'C in the space of 5 days! 

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted

The Met Office has the UK (and not just the Scottish) December record down as 18.3C at Achnashellach in 1948 (surprised this wasn't broken last December, actually).  Could be under threat tomorrow by the looks of that forecast.

• Like 1
    Posted

Now quite wet so as a consequence the temperatures will shoot up

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    16 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Here comes the mud...

Plenty of it being slung around in the model thread if it hasn't all been deleted!:aggressive:

• Like 8
    Posted

the model thread appears to have mislaid the plot again... I thought I had mastered the thumb screen scroll so that I only read the more reputable posters but even that is getting more and more difficult.  

Forgot to mention got to 10 here in Aberdeen but soon dropped to 6 on way home.  

Edited by Gogoslo
    • Like 1
    Posted

Absolutely horrid here at the moment - just 1'C, heavy rain and cold. Miserable!

Still more inviting than the model thread though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Evening all. 

After the most benign autumn I can remember, time to end the estivation and return to the MacPalace of Sanity for the fun bit of the year. 

Second ice day of the autumn/winter yesterday and raw again all day today. 

First of the rain arrived mid-morning and it's turned progressively heavier and mair dreich since then. 

Currently 1.0C/DP 1C and heavy cauld rain. 

The lead in to this winter reminds me of 2012-13 regarding recent winters, despite all the usual posts about 'promising background signals' and general hype in the TOORPing thread. Lots of wild cards, though, this time.  

Time will tell, but for cauldies, it's off to a decent start. Just the wee mild blip to get through now...

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Urgh I was considering popping in to the model thread today as well - we need @edo to pop in there and come back with a summary - as they have unofficially taken up the position of model watchers watcher.

It's 3.8C here - that is actually the max of the day as well. Day average still below zero (just) at -0.5C

In the league table - Munlochy is still below 0 (just) and a chunk of stations around Fife, Scottish Borders, Tayside, Lothian (Edinburgh Airport) still either at or below 3C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    1 hour ago, asjmcguire said:

Urgh I was considering popping in to the model thread today as well - we need @edo to pop in there and come back with a summary - as they have unofficially taken up the position of model watchers watcher.

It's 3.8C here - that is actually the max of the day as well. Day average still below zero (just) at -0.5C

In the league table - Munlochy is still below 0 (just) and a chunk of stations around Fife, Scottish Borders, Tayside, Lothian (Edinburgh Airport) still either at or below 3C.

Is it time for the annual ModThread  rota? Send us in one at a time in protective body armour after a heavy dose of mood stabiliser? (Please note this is a fancy way of saying tin hat and a pint of vodka)

• Like 9
    Posted
    12 minutes ago, Ross B said:

6 years ago on this date I got stuck on the mate for 14 hours. Different weather tonight for sure!

https://stv.tv/news/scotland/214411-drivers-stranded-as-blizzards-bring-more-chaos-to-scotland/

Has mate the road been auto-corrected to mate as in a friend?

Edit: Yup - that's behaviour I have not seen before!

Edited by asjmcguire
    Confirmation.
    Posted
    6 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

Has mate the road been auto-corrected to mate as in a friend?

Edit: Yup - that's behaviour I have not seen before!

It has indeed mate 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just watched Hateful Eight so 'willy waving in search of snow' has erm awkward connotations...

Wet out this evening. Will take a snow hurricane on the 22nd even if it means losing my deposit to CMD.

Gawd I should be asleep zzzzzzzz

• Like 5
    Posted

Thank you @edo that summary above is exactly what you are paid* for! Short, concise and saves days of reading the model thread.

Oooo exciting, can anyone remember? I'm sure like a month back the experts were suggesting that based on goings on with background signals and the lag between something happening and it actually affecting the weather - the general feeling was that regardless of what was going on in the short term, the cold and hopefully snow was not really expected to be showing up until the last part of December.

* payment is in gratitude and cake, but there is no cake at the moment, so gratitude will have to be enough :D

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

It's certainly neither cold nor snowy today. 11C and blowy, it feels positively tropical outside compared to some mornings recently. 

@Ross B I meant to post up about that snow from six years ago, I've still got charts on my laptop from that one. Not cos I'm an organised weather geek, simply as a result of being lazy and never deleting anything. 

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
    8 hours ago, Ross B said:

6 years ago on this date I got stuck on the mate for 14 hours. Different weather tonight for sure!

https://stv.tv/news/scotland/214411-drivers-stranded-as-blizzards-bring-more-chaos-to-scotland/

Yep, I was stuck on the mine ( or M9):D when I eventually got moving the motorway was just rutted ice, I was terrified. Took me 6 hours to get from the Gyle in Edinburgh to Falkirk.

10 degrees today at 6.00 when dropping hubby to station (was -1 yesterday).

I've started peeking at the model thread, not a clue what they're on about but it's addictive. 

• Like 2
    Posted

^ Was horrendous for me too. I was stuck in the library revising for my tax law exam! 

• Like 5
    Posted
    2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's certainly neither cold nor snowy today. 11C and blowy, it feels positively tropical outside compared to some mornings recently. 

@Ross B I meant to post up about that snow from six years ago, I've still got charts on my laptop from that one. Not cos I'm an organised weather geek, simply as a result of being lazy and never deleting anything. 

Me too, I've got the radar screengrab somewhere.Thought i was smart getting up  and  going to work before the  snow started...only to find  out on my way home everyone else was still trying to  complete the morning rush hour!!!

• Like 2
    Posted

I was lying on Bondi Beach pretending not to be a lobster during that day.

Pretty much the same temperatures then as we've got today....you know it's bad when the English workforce working in the local office are complaining about it being too hot outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

So, Monday night returning from Portree temp was -5c, this was about 7.45pm. At home it was -3 . Yesterday  morning dawned dull and mild at 8.5c and the temp crept up all day reaching the dizzy heights of 14.3c. This morning at 8am it was 14.8c and now the wind ha picked up and we have horizontal rain. Oh bliss! Back to a normal Skye winter then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

@asjmcguire from all the long range forecasts I read the most common concensus was a cold early half of winter but also a drier one and if we get through this mild spell fairly rapidly and back to the doninant HP then that looks likely....the problem with the model thread is they always look for immediate deep cold....models today not as cold as last night but still most likely option appears at least Scotland hopefully heading back to cool and frosty...

I shall dip in again tonight...might even copy @stewfox summary as he is doing a very funny take on the model thread every night...well worth a read 

• Like 6
    Posted

Today is wet and mild , kind of missed the rain :) though I am sure in couple of days stuck inside, i will crave the beautiful cold crisp weather of the last few weeks :)

Anyhoo ,, as an eternal optimist ,, i went into the MOD thread ,, oh dear ... :( winter is over ,, kept thinking  of the Smiths song,, I know it's over and it never really began ..

think i will take a wee break for a week , thank goodness for this thread ,.. my weather gurus :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Dung flies everywhere this morning. Hmm, my cabin's too close too the poop tank...

• Like 1