Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A dull 5C just now and I think we may have lost the frosts for a few days - I'm forecast for 10C on Thursday, before a return to chilliness.

With the state of the arctic seas and northern polar air mass, I'm not even half-hoping for any major cold snowy event this winter - or even one in the rest of my lifetime, to be honest.  Humanity seems hell-bent on super-heating the atmosphere so chances of decent winters get slimmer year by year.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

A dull 5C just now and I think we may have lost the frosts for a few days - I'm forecast for 10C on Thursday, before a return to chilliness.

With the state of the arctic seas and northern polar air mass, I'm not even half-hoping for any major cold snowy event this winter - or even one in the rest of my lifetime, to be honest.  Humanity seems hell-bent on super-heating the atmosphere so chances of decent winters get slimmer year by year.

And decent summers!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Northernlights said:

And decent summers!!!!!

Well yes.  You could add quite a few items to a list of climate-driven changes that are going to make our lives difficult over the next few years.  Do I start hoarding baked beans next year?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Why does global warming not give us better summers then? In wee short words and 3 sentences lol for my last few brain cells to cope with :ball-santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, mardatha said:

Why does global warming not give us better summers then? In wee short words and 3 sentences lol for my last few brain cells to cope with :ball-santa-emoji:

Global warming doesn't mean higher chance of extended summery weather. It means more random crap weather everywhere which makes farmers' jobs much more difficult, it means higher rainfall, probably including flooding, it means sea levels rising due to melting polar ice, plus many more weird and not very wonderful things.  Our chances of minimising impacts reduce year by year, especially when we have a bunch of politicians who are more interested in lining their own pockets. 

Three sentences!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
16 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Less ice more rain.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, mardatha said:

Hell lol. Not Scotland turning into Provence then.. :sorry:

No, perhaps more like Gairloch autumn weather everywhere, most of the time. Wet, gales, usually mild...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
56 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

No, perhaps more like Gairloch autumn weather everywhere, most of the time. Wet, gales, usually mild...

The country will become unlivable in that case due to an explosion in the midge population.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

The country will become unlivable in that case due to an explosion in the midge population.

Take a few decades for enough peatland to develop for them to breed. Will still be preferable to most of the planet apart from us all fighting over the little food we're still able to grow... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Good to see everyone getting into the festive spirit  this morning no doom and gloom in here .oh and apparently according to the cfs model it's going to be a white one 

• Like 2

Posted

Shiver me timbers actually had a little bit of rain here. Almost forgotten what it's looked like as not seen very much

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
8 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

So basically.... the Scottish climate will actually be the way that everyone outside of Scotland believes it is right now?

Posted
55 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a single Scottish climate, there's the wet west and the dry east and the difference is absolutely massive. 

That was exactly what struck me when we first moved to the Black Isle - go west, get wet; go east, mind the beast!

Funnily though, the majority of English folk I know think we 'suffer' endless northerly blasts of snow. I blame the BBC and their melodramatic forecasting.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Thank god I don't live in the west then, if this is the dry half!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
1 hour ago, mardatha said:

Thank god I don't live in the west then, if this is the dry half!

Literally cannot stop giggling!!

@CatchMyDrift having spent years telling my friends in England - that Scotland is not gale force winds and torrential rain - we decided to have a run up to John O'Groats one week.... it was gale force winds and torrential rain......

Edited by asjmcguire
  • Like 3

Posted

A mild start to the last day of meteorological Autumn and St Andrews Day, 6c here in Broughty Ferry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Bit of a dull fest here again this morning 5.7c.   Nothing sub zero  here since last Friday I think.   Getting bored now!

aircam_pic.php.jpe

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Peeps from a very mild Skye! Temp currently 9.2c, light winds and cloud. What on earth happened to winter? Oh, wait.....that was last week! So far we have had no gales, little rain, some frost's, nae snaw. It's unusual for us to have such a benevolent Autumn, so it makes me think that winter ( if and when it arrives! ) may well deliver everything that we haven't had yet! So, multiple storms and torrential rain may well be what to expect over the next three months! Basically what we had last year, only later. Give me a clear frosty day over horizontal rain, power cuts and damaged roofs any day! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

Bit of a dull fest here again this morning 5.7c.   Nothing sub zero  here since last Friday I think.   Getting bored now!

Similar temperatures here, and similar sentiments. Only really glanced at the weather station this morning so best I can say was overnight low was around 2C and temp at 8am was around 6C.

This mornings models runs are a real borefest. Not trying to spread doom and gloom but I can't help getting the niggling feeling that despite all the "promising signals", from those with access to the longer term models that we can't see, that mid-Dec onwards might bring 'something special', that it might all just turn out to be a damp squib.

Anyway, more importantly I fly out to the Alps on 27th Dec and that's all I really care about for now. There's plenty of snow up top there, and the snow cannons are running lower down so  unlike the last two years I'm not stressing out about having to take walking boots instead of skis.

Cucumelle 29_11_2016.png

• Like 6

Posted

Around Loch Fyne, some drizzle, mainly thin sunshine, a breeze and max temp 10C. :D

Quite a fine day really - still 9C