Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Cool day with a maximum of 7c so far .A line of showers 20170417_113229.thumb.jpg.d708c75ac3661403c9e53589bf6d9f1b.jpg moved down from the north across the Firth early afternoon to be followed by20170417_144956.thumb.jpg.9e35e795ee0ad5b2c503e8ca9fd71ee8.jpg very clear arctic air . Ben Wyvis20170417_145457.thumb.jpg.1d9ca5d3b0399d23a62dbfd78125ce81.jpg picking up a fresh cap again this afternoon. As you can see this years turnip ground is now very dry.

Edited by Northernlights
    • Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted

It was a nice day apart from a few brief showers earlier this evening. Got out on the motorbike to Hamilton, Strathaven & Galston.Great views towards the coast & Arran but didn't stop for photos.

The photo is looking north and you can see Ben Lomond to the left & Dumgoyne Hill to the right of centre. It shows the clearer weather weather moving in from the north and the temperature is dropping quickly. Currently 6.5C

IMG_3167.JPG

• Like 1
    Posted

Cold frosty start to the day at -2.5c.  Some high cloud moving in.

• Like 2
    Posted

Not had to scrape the car for a while! -2c just now.

Posted

In spite of the cold this morning the first swallow has arrived( day length response).Funny how in a warming world ? Scottish springs have remained traditional with N and E winds with possibly an increase in the length and depth of the cold spells we get, especially the last few years. Grass showing purple tipping now with the cold and still some geese coming in to my neighbours grass this morning.

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

It was cold but pretty this morning, this was the view from the car park at work in Kelso slightly before 6am:

IMG_2101.thumb.JPG.10f8f7806d9f587848bafb9cd6831173.JPG

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Weather station recorded an overnight low of -3.5C but still only a slight grass frost when I got up at 7:30am (1C  by then). Pretty much 100% cloud cover at the moment and the cool/cold feel continues.

• Like 2
    Posted

Much softer feeling wind today with hazy sunshine. Currently 14c.If it was not for next weeks forecast would be tempted to turn out calves with their mothers full time.

Edited by Northernlights
    • Like 1
    Posted

Amazingly this late on in april for the 3rd year in a row looks like snow for some of us next week......................i'll be down south though and won't see it this time. Amazing though that it happening so it seems yet again

Posted
    1 hour ago, NUT said:

Amazingly this late on in april for the 3rd year in a row looks like snow for some of us next week......................i'll be down south though and won't see it this time. Amazing though that it happening so it seems yet again

I'm walking the West Highland Way next week so am glued to the models at present. Quite happy at the prospect of a cold northerly as outside of any showers visibility should be excellent and it sure beats walking in the mild damp and dreich! :D

• Like 4
    Posted

Nice breezy start to the day.. Next weeks cold spell looks just like last years one. A photo from 25th April  2016 of snow shower over Moray Firth. Currently 9c P4250009.thumb.JPG.eb93d27cc77cd59da1022450b0137a0e.JPG

Edited by Northernlights
    • Like 3
    Posted

Well it hit the dizzy heights of 16.4C around here yesterday (official reading for Aboyne, but was around the same at my house early evening) but as has been said, it's looking like back to cool/cold after today. I really wasn't wanting another cold spring but hey, it's been dry, so it beats mild wet muck.

Posted

Glorious day here in St Andrews. 17c under sunny skies!

• Like 3
    Posted
    3 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Glorious day here in St Andrews. 17c under sunny skies!

I'll second that. Fantastic day here but the breeze isn't giving up. 

IMG_2106.thumb.JPG.ad4ef6ac2d53d07f40172a6ed0588da8.JPG

Next week looks tasty for those further north and at height, although convection will show its hand with hail showers as well as snow a possibility for many of us.

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

We had a dull day with a chilly breeze, I started gardening but soon gave up and came in.

Posted

Hit a brief high of 18C in the sun in Dyce yesterday. I wonder how log it'll be before we see that again?

This morning it's 7/8C with lots of grey cloud and patchy rain. Won't complain too much cos we probably need some rain.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

So, now that the Madness of Easter has passed ( they were here in bigger droves than last year! ) and we can breathe quietly for a few weeks, I notice a definate chill in the air! It was quite nice yesterday sitting in the sun, so long as I had shelter! Snow for some next week, which means rain and sleet for us, but don't switch the heating off yet! Like Northern Lights I also saw my first swallow on Tuesday, and there are wee lambs by the bucket load!! Boy, are they in for a shock next week!:cold:

Edited by mistyqueen
    • Like 4
    Posted

Some bigly impressive charts for the last Monday in April. Daytime spring snow a real prospect for some parts:

IMG_2108.thumb.GIF.41ff001758f08398d90aba40117249ca.GIFIMG_2109.thumb.GIF.8b7159a9c2137f9742acd09f095c9e07.GIFIMG_2110.thumb.GIF.3698c1192185f7bed7461aad46d99f6d.GIFIMG_2111.thumb.GIF.fe56363a243c4231a68be5648c29fc94.GIF

The GFS takes some heavy precipitation south down the country on Monday afternoon with this turning to snow. It's currently forecast to be heaviest in the east but too far away to be certain of what's going to happen or not happen:

IMG_2112.thumb.PNG.bdaef682d4f6dfc8dde25a52d01102cb.PNG

• Like 3
    Posted

Thin layer of cloud this morning, but sun peeking out occasionally, making it pleasant enough for any outdoor activity. Temp 10C and no wind.

Not relishing the prospect of the forecast Arctic blast, but some rain would be welcome.  Water levels are very low.

West Water, Glen Lethnot.

WW_Lethnot.thumb.jpg.d6ff8481e740b7d6d92eb6dc81d151f4.jpg

• Like 3
    Posted

Snow-forecast which is derived from the GFS has 36cm of snow in the next 2 days for the Lecht, the NMM short range looks to be 40-50cm! Somewhere north facing could get hammered in the next 2 to 3 days. Sadly from the GFS it looks as if the weather is then going to bring mild and wet weather for Saturday! We shall see...

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Quite jealous of you lot! We want all your snow you may very well get! 

While it's fairly quiet and since the topic is getting rather long, will be locking this and opening up a new Regional Scotland Weather Chat thread to continue your discussions! :good:

Edit: Link to new thread,

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
    • Like 1