Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
    6 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Very wet here with the worst direction for the wind a  fresh  North  Easterly driving the rain straight  in to us off the Firth. Cool too at 3.9c so there must be a lot of snow falling on the hills.

Yes A939 snow gates closed on the traffic information  sign on the A96 tonight.

• Like 5
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It's been unrelentingly wet here today and a breezy 5C. Especially awful when we were in Aberdeen for the afternoon. 

Snow lying at the snow gate in Braemar, maybe I'll get to ski in Scotland this year after all? 

• Like 1
    Posted
    10 hours ago, Ravelin said:

It's been unrelentingly wet here today and a breezy 5C. Especially awful when we were in Aberdeen for the afternoon. 

Snow lying at the snow gate in Braemar, maybe I'll get to ski in Scotland this year after all? 

If the trend of the last few years continues  of colder  later springs then  I  think you will get a few more chances to ski in the next few months..

Currently trying to dry up here after a very good soaking. Cold though at 3.2c.

Different subject has anyone else heard some loud bangs this morning.disturbed the cattle early on  and got them mooing.?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

It's another splendid evening here in the eastern Borders as can be seen in the pics. For the first time this year I had to take my jumper off part way into the walk this afternoon as I was roasting. I am now sitting with my first skin tingle of the year, I'll be tanned within a few weeks.

a002.thumb.jpg.1dda8056ffeb7ab4f5faf65b258cddf7.jpga009.thumb.jpg.6d7c3412c87292c7c1891a024bbe0535.jpga020.thumb.jpg.ee193164ce9d55b7e212d6a306e4484d.jpg

a026.thumb.jpg.3944966fcd5dcc592818182e6c6d0162.jpga028.thumb.jpg.171a59abe86beeed4dc335937fb20da4.jpg

@Northernlights I'm not sure what caused your banging last night but we had a tremendous sharp shower last night at about 9pm. It came on so suddenly and loudly I thought it was a low flying military jet.

• Like 7
    Posted

Not exactly weather related but it did produce some interesting 'clouds' from the smoke plume. It looks like they have got it under control now. The photos were taken from Clarkston looking north towards Glasgow. The first is about 5pm and the last at about 6.30.

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

• Like 8
    Posted

I could see that smoke plume from Motherwell, where it looked like it was coming from the Bothwell/Uddingston area. Quite a few miles beyond that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

English folk on FB raving about a 15 degree weekend. I don't suppose...... ???

Posted
    1 hour ago, mardatha said:

Feart to ask lol

Feart to reply.

• Like 2
    Posted

ECM v GFS isn't too consistent at +240hrs:

IMG_1987.thumb.GIF.e844d78bac46677fbbb135f71582c769.GIFIMG_1988.thumb.PNG.f5ebad6f7ad05b3d34d8ba8ec1640a09.PNG

Posted

Nice start with some fabulous sunshine this morning. Grim grey early evening now:

IMG_1990.thumb.JPG.37f3c47c6d9eb0404f3cfeaf4b1b1288.JPGIMG_1991.thumb.JPG.e3a6ffef7d5d05b8fd0a8d086faeb8cd.JPGIMG_1992.thumb.JPG.9929a2094dee7a2b39a4c0cb93026536.JPG4D330135-E39E-4359-9177-845E081DB651.thumb.jpg.dfe39f0489062838558e7d9ea2151749.jpg

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

What a boring season this has been!    Thing that worries me is with another el nino forecasted probably by Autumn  which, I imagine , would  be followed  by a la nina, it could be another 3 years before we are likely to get anything decent winterwise?   Or is that being a little too pessimistic?

Latest webcam pic just for a change.......:rolleyes:...........5.7c/3.4c.

static_weathercams.php.jpe

Edited by Blitzen
    • Like 3
    Posted
    42 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

What a boring season this has been!    Thing that worries me is with another el nino forecasted probably by Autumn  which, I imagine , would  be followed  by a la nina, it could be another 3 years before we are likely to get anything decent winterwise?   Or is that being a little too pessimistic?

Latest webcam pic just for a change.......:rolleyes:...........5.7c/3.4c.

static_weathercams.php.jpe

I don't think it matters for us @Blitzen 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/seasonal-to-decadal/gpc-outlooks/el-nino-la-nina/enso-impacts

A quick scout about the interwebby suggests that impacts on NWrn Europe are not consistent.

• Like 1
    Posted

Spring for me in the far SE tomorrow, winter for some in the north. What a difference 100-150 miles and some hills can make to temperatures:

IMG_1997.thumb.GIF.18e84419a493293bd073245088be103d.GIF

• Like 2
    Posted

Looks like a lot of heavy rain (and hopefully snow for glencoe/nevis) on the radar for West of Scotland at the moment. Is it weird that I miss the rain banging off the roof and velux window?:cc_confused: It's rarely the same level of persistent heavy rain here nr the east coast of englandshire...

Posted

Damp cool start at 3.8c.    Geese overhead flying west looking for a grass field, not going north yet.  Spring never really starts for me until the geese have gone and March was always the hungriest month for nature. There is really no green left with brown being the dominant colour.

• Like 3
    Posted
    12 hours ago, Ross B said:

Looks like a lot of heavy rain (and hopefully snow for glencoe/nevis) on the radar for West of Scotland at the moment. Is it weird that I miss the rain banging off the roof and velux window?:cc_confused: It's rarely the same level of persistent heavy rain here nr the east coast of englandshire...

If the rain on velux thing is weird then I am weird too. I miss the rain sometimes, not all the time just sometimes. There's a huge difference between over this way and back out west, glad it's not just my imagination.

• Like 1
    Posted

We have wall to wall sun today but it's very windy. First full official washing hung oot of 2017 :D

Edited by mardatha
    • Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
    18 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I don't think it matters for us @Blitzen 

Thanks for the link Catch.   An informative and interesting read.:)

• Like 1

Well guys and girls finally we have done it, confirmation today from the estate agents that the house we wanted is ours, we collect the keys on 31st March and hope to be moved in the following week... now i really cant wait for Winter 2018 to get here.. 218m asl at the base of the Lammermuir Hills i hope should get me my fix every winter..

Also do you all think i could still see some snow in April in that location?

Looking forward to being part of this thread very soon. :drunk-emoji:

Posted

We've had snow in April here a few times, I'm about 20 miles as the crow flies due west of you and a wee bit higher.

Posted

Miserable day here heavy showers strong wind and cold with a maximum temperature of 5c not very spring like more like  November.  Surface of ground very wet again

On a different note against the black showerclouds at dusk the new windfarm just 4 miles to the SE of us must have just  put its aircraft warning red lights on, very colourful above the conifers not at all rural.or as young Mr Northernlights has just said the aliens have  landed!

Mrs Northernlights has just seen them  and thought Cristmas had  come early as it appears that the red lights are on top of the conifers at night.

Edited by Northernlights
    • Like 5