Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

@CatchMyDriftis on fire today....... chuckling away here is decent consolation for my guaranteed slush (reverse approach ) from me after my failed attempts of positivity at last spell.

• Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We haven't seen a blizzard like this for a few years! Can't walk outside, it's blinding.

Whole family has had fun with pup today who picked up a snowball on her name tag proof of freezing temperature.  Mrs Northernlights took these photos      Clear skies now and -0.8c Quite the Snow Dog!

Still piling up. About to don my ski goggles and head out for a wee wander.

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

The only thing that'll make me feel better for being in the central belt a sodding week too early is to sit in front of my wood burner pretending I'm back up there, while hoping the garden trees,in this normally weather dead zone, survive the mild *spit* wind.  Please, please post eleventy billion photos to help mitigate my poor timing and facilitate this unhealthy fixation with being back in snowy Scotland.  Thank you so much!

Really hope you all have the amounts you want, especially Catch!

Edited by Soaring Hawk
    • Like 6
    Posted

All we need now is Hawsey popping up with his accumulation estimates and we're all screwed :rofl:

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

If anyone can think of something I've forgotten please let me know!! :good:

Just don't forget to let the dog back in before going to bed! It'll kind of ruin the day if you look out in the morning and and notice a frozen pair of ears sticking up out of the snow.

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    10 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Just don't forget to let the dog back in before going to bed! It'll kind of ruin the day if you look out in the morning and and notice a frozen pair of ears sticking up out of the snow.

Clyde is in ok lol he's MrsCatch's number one baby so he'd never be left out!!

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
    16 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Clyde is in ok lol he's MrsCatch's number one baby so he'd never be left out!!

Sorry for butting into your thread, but I'm looking at everyone's tonight in anticipation of tomorrow! What a lovely name for a dog! What breed is he?

Dogs love the wind and ours have always seemed to get very exuberant in it. Snow - a physical and mental reverie!

Stay safe though, all of you...

Edited by Spikecollie
    • Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!

Catch - when is it to start for us here in the Borders?

ie what time will I set my alarm for to dig my elbow into the hubby's ribs and tell him to get up and look out of the window :rofl:

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Tomorrow's looking fun! I'm not too far from the amber warning area so no one else give up hope just yet if you're in my position! I distinctly remember the breakdown in March 2013, when I was forecast to get 10cm, and ended up with almost more than what was forecast for the amber area! I've been successful in these situations before, I just hope it doesn't rain too much before the snow starts. 

Dying for at least 10cm, please god! :D

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow

@mardatha about 3am for us

@Spikecollie he's a Labrador. If you look carefully there's another dog being camera shy in one of the pics. She's called Millie and she's part Lab part Patterdale. 

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Found this on Twitter around an hour ago, dear I say Glasgow looks to be in with a good shout of being one of the locations which could do really well out of this.

IMG_20170222_181350.jpg

Edited by Bullseye
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!
    5 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

Found this on Twitter around an hour ago, dear I say Glasgow looks to be in with a good shout of being one of the locations which could do really well out of this.

IMG_20170222_181350.jpg

SLAP BANG ON TOP MY ROOF lol

• Like 2
    Posted
    14 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

IMG_20170222_181350.jpg

I've been watching the Euro4 closely over the last day or so, it's consistently had a very heavy area of snow just to the south west of Glasgow (where I am) on the edge of rain/snow so you never know.... I'd rather be in the larger sweet spot but it's only a model prediction after all!

Edited by Ross B
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
    12 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

This hangs at our back door.

s-l300.jpg

And so it should! I'll be having the same with our new incoming pup! Hope you get what you want for tomorrow, and none of what you don't! :friends:

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
    20 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

IMG_20170222_181350.jpg

SLAP BANG OVER ME!! Come on, Inverclyde deserves this!! 

• Like 1
    Posted
    8 hours ago, Ross B said:

You'll end up with more snow than most of the ski centres have... looking forward to the photos tomorrow!

We are going to see snow in and around parts of the Central Belt, perhaps carnage on the higher and in particular more exposed parts of the A74 and M74, very high winds across much of England -> All leading to big media coverage, spectacular snow footage on TV, big interest to going skiing generated and realistically not one single skiable run at the five Highland areas this weekend.

The Ski Areas will miss most of the snow, not get as severe drifting as the stronger winds are further South, then be subjected to silly Munro Level temperatures, incessant rain (at least in the West) and Storm Force SW'ly winds on Saturday. 

Meanwhile after 56 inches of snow in 36hours (thats when they passed the 500 mark for the season and its now at 556) this is Kirkwood in California, the lucky few who've been trapped in Kirkwood for the past 3 days as State Route 88 remains blocked by snow on one side of Kirkwood and by avalanche and mudslide debris on the other! 

kirkwood-2017_02_22_11.thumb.jpeg.e06d8560476c1437eac74404a4a182ab.jpeg

• Like 8
    Posted

In my head I had made some sort of similarity with the snow storm of 26th / 27th February 2001 and this approaching 'snow' storm, however upon checking it's not really similar at all. It was my all time best snow day.... 60cm of level snow and drifts so big that I could walk onto the roofs of cottages and over the top of transit vans. Don't know if anyone remembers it? 

IMG_4058.PNG

• Like 2
    Posted

It's been an astonishingly poor season for snow in the Scottish mountains, at least as bad as the worst years in the 2000s. Still time for things to change but I wouldn't hold out much prospect of any/many of the usual snow patch sites holding snow until the first snows of 2017/18.

The ski centre operators must be tearing their hair out then when a storm does eventually arrive, it ends up well to their south. Lowther Ski Club might be taking Friday off work though!

Posted

This is great animation of the possible snow for Central and Southern Scotland! Again, it goes for a blob to the W/SW of Glasgow giving 15-20cm. Time will tell... :yahoo:

• Like 2
    Posted
    2 hours ago, 101_North said:

All we need now is Hawsey popping up with his accumulation estimates and we're all screwed :rofl:

Good evening,

I'm not going near this one 101, way too marginal. Although I was spot on in my mid-January snowfall estimates.....for at least one or two members. :D

My best guess would be that for those at low levels and near the coast, you may see some falling snow but nothing more than temporary slush on the ground. For those in the amber area and at 200m or more....it's game on (the likes of ruzzi). It's those in and around the amber area and with modest elevation (~100m) that's very hard to call....that would include you! I think it will depend on where the heaviest precipitation sets up and if you are under it and benefit from evaporative cooling it could end up being a nice little event.

Love Catch's work today, I hope it pays dividends....I think there will be a few folk very happy tomorrow and many more of us looking on in envy! I need to travel through to Glasgow tomorrow afternoon (train) so will report in on conditions en route.

• Like 1
    Posted

I'm officially on a snow day tomorrow now, not risking the foot of snow on the m74 even though I kind of want to test the car out in the snow! 

• Like 1
    Posted
    5 minutes ago, Ross B said:

I'm officially on a snow day tomorrow now, not risking the foot of snow on the m74 even though I kind of want to test the car out in the snow! 

So am I, just started back this week with knee still braced but moving, but not risking tomorrow. Temp has dropped here from 6c at 5pm to 3C now.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Hope you Guys enjoy your Snow.from my point of view I can only hope for a downgrade.

Looks like I am in the fireing line for the high winds.

C.S. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    7 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

So am I, just started back this week with knee still braced but moving, but not risking tomorrow. Temp has dropped here from 6c at 5pm to 3C now.

Yeah good plan, regardless of how much falls it'll be slushy and slippy so no point in risking it.

I still have 6th December 2010 stuck in my head from the 16hours stuck on the mate...

For those on the mate tomorrow.. it could be chaos through all of the roadworks at Baillieston down towards the M74 Raith if the snow does fall - ploughs aren't going to be able to get through efficiently due to the traffic build up so I'd be avoiding at all costs! They are at least lower sections so less prone to the high snowfall amounts which will help.

Edited by Ross B
    • Like 1
    Posted

Went calm after the wind of earlier. Wasn't that a eventful day to be honest. Few light showers but nothing major. Tomorrow.......................well let's wait and see

• Like 1