Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, More Snow said:

well another house that fell thru.. and we go again this weekend as we head up to East Lothian to look at yet another house... this one according to my elevation check is 218m asl at the base of the Lammermuir Hills.. think this could be a good spot, only 11 houses in the small Hamlet so im guessing this and the height above sea level should give me a good chance of seeing snow during the winter months..

If you want proper snow and have a decent budget look for houses in Flash just outside of Buxton the highest Village in the UK 1518ft guaranteed snow

Just now, Derbyshire_snow said:

If you want proper snow and have a decent budget look for houses in Flash just outside of Buxton the highest Village in the UK 1518ft guaranteed snow

tried that for the last few years but nothing has come up that is right for us as a family... so north of the boarder we go... scotland has been my dream since i was a small boy so this really is a dream come true..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, More Snow said:

tried that for the last few years but nothing has come up that is right for us as a family... so north of the boarder we go... scotland has been my dream since i was a small boy so this really is a dream come true..

Have you tried looking in Sheffield? There is plenty of areas that are 200-300m 

Lodgemoor in Sheffield is over 1000ft and gets plenty of snow each year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
10 minutes ago, More Snow said:

well another house that fell thru.. and we go again this weekend as we head up to East Lothian to look at yet another house... this one according to my elevation check is 218m asl at the base of the Lammermuir Hills.. think this could be a good spot, only 11 houses in the small Hamlet so im guessing this and the height above sea level should give me a good chance of seeing snow during the winter months..

If that's in from the coast, e.g. towards Gifford, Humbie, Fala etc, then you will see snow every winter. How much will just vary. You can try the other side too, e.g. Longformacus area, Oxton down to Lauder (:)) if you want better access to civilization via the A68.

Go up to 250-300 m and immediately the snow increases. 

• Like 1

Thanks all.. we are looking at a house 3 miles south of Gifford in a little hamlet called longnewton only 11 properties there.. lovely 1860's cottage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Gifford is a lovely wee place in a nice area :) They get a lot of sun down there, I dunno about snow though. Hope you get this one!

Posted

Another cold sunny  frosty start to the day currently 0c

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

*** Looks Outside*** >>> Lovely sunny day with lots of blue sky.

*** Looks at Phone*** >>> Text message from SEPA - flood warning issued due to heavy and persistent rain tomorrow.

Weekends, bah! :wallbash:

• Like 4

Posted

Sitting in the airport waiting to board my flight home. Been a really mixed week of weather. I was in Wisconsin and we've had springlike temps of 16c, severe thunderstorms, biblical rain, tornado watches, heavy snow, freezing rain, sub zero days and a few night time temps approaching -10c. Was only here for 6 days. A real mixed bag!

• Like 8

Posted

Rain pelting doon all night and still pelting doon now. Back to normal :angry:

Posted

Very wet here with the worst direction for the wind a  fresh  North  Easterly driving the rain straight  in to us off the Firth. Cool too at 3.9c so there must be a lot of snow falling on the hills.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Rain finally stopped here but left with a lot of low cloud.   5.5c/NE.  Dreich!

static_weathercams.php.jpe

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely catch there ^^ ......Catch :) 

Horrible first half of the day, heavy relentless rain/sleet with occasional snow mixed in. Temps did eventually drop a bitty though and it's been snowing for the last couple of hours, so we managed a wee covering in the end 

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Very wet here with the worst direction for the wind a  fresh  North  Easterly driving the rain straight  in to us off the Firth. Cool too at 3.9c so there must be a lot of snow falling on the hills.

Yes A939 snow gates closed on the traffic information  sign on the A96 tonight.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It's been unrelentingly wet here today and a breezy 5C. Especially awful when we were in Aberdeen for the afternoon. 

Snow lying at the snow gate in Braemar, maybe I'll get to ski in Scotland this year after all? 

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Ravelin said:

It's been unrelentingly wet here today and a breezy 5C. Especially awful when we were in Aberdeen for the afternoon. 

Snow lying at the snow gate in Braemar, maybe I'll get to ski in Scotland this year after all? 

If the trend of the last few years continues  of colder  later springs then  I  think you will get a few more chances to ski in the next few months..

Currently trying to dry up here after a very good soaking. Cold though at 3.2c.

Different subject has anyone else heard some loud bangs this morning.disturbed the cattle early on  and got them mooing.?

Posted

Not exactly weather related but it did produce some interesting 'clouds' from the smoke plume. It looks like they have got it under control now. The photos were taken from Clarkston looking north towards Glasgow. The first is about 5pm and the last at about 6.30.

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

• Like 7

Posted

I could see that smoke plume from Motherwell, where it looked like it was coming from the Bothwell/Uddingston area. Quite a few miles beyond that!

Posted

English folk on FB raving about a 15 degree weekend. I don't suppose...... ???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

What a boring season this has been!    Thing that worries me is with another el nino forecasted probably by Autumn  which, I imagine , would  be followed  by a la nina, it could be another 3 years before we are likely to get anything decent winterwise?   Or is that being a little too pessimistic?

Latest webcam pic just for a change.......:rolleyes:...........5.7c/3.4c.

static_weathercams.php.jpe

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2