Radar
Windy?
beerandkebab

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

Please carry on here

old thread here ------> 

• Like 5

A nice fresh thread for the snowier part of the year. Looking forward to it! :D

Minging cold rain in Buckie. Some hardy folk out with fireworks all the same. (Wish someone would put a rocket up the English gutter press :bad:.)

• Like 6

In a pub in Aviemore but an antisocial glance at the cameras from here to Daviot shows things are nice and white, happy days, Slànte mhath to a fruitful Scottish winter thread 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

In a pub in Aviemore but an antisocial glance at the cameras from here to Daviot shows things are nice and white, happy days, Slànte mhath to a fruitful Scottish winter thread 

I don't know about it being fruitful with snow, at the moment all I'm getting are memories of west coast winters with rain and rain featuring strongly. After the downpours on Friday night it's looking like a wet day in some parts here today. There's been some wet snow over higher ground (did you sleep through it @scottish skier and @mardatha?) but some lucky punters in the hills are going to get 50mm of rain today. Met-Office all over it like a rash? 

IMG_1295.GIF

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I don't know about it being fruitful with snow, at the moment all I'm getting are memories of west coast winters with rain and rain featuring strongly. After the downpours on Friday night it's looking like a wet day in some parts here today. There's been some wet snow over higher ground (did you sleep through it @scottish skier and @mardatha?) but some lucky punters in the hills are going to get 50mm of rain today. Met-Office all over it like a rash? 

IMG_1295.GIF

Rinse and repeat for here at least. Still some slightly slushy cores to a few of the drops in heavier bursts, otherwise just horizontal cold rain.

27 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Rinse and repeat for here at least. Still some slightly slushy cores to a few of the drops in heavier bursts, otherwise just horizontal cold rain.

Nowt but cold November rain here. Loads of it. The roads are already awful, this is the road near my house:

IMG_1297.JPG

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 3

Here's to a great winter folks :)

Nice morning here. Bit breezy and chilly but bright and plenty of blue sky. 

Fingers crossed for some exciting model watching and snow reports over the next 5 months or so!

• Like 6

Haha oh dear I thought that was a canal picture at first @CatchMyDrift 

Aye, a dreich and 3C Sunday it is then (it's currently peeing down) at least the leaves have had a wee clear up. Plenty fun lies ahead 

I see Highland Weather is ramping up for winter @Polar Maritime:D posting this old nugget from 78, it's the old A9 between here and Carrbridge I believe

image.png

• Like 7

It is so NS, The good old days!

• Like 1

Morning all and a pleasant one it is too here in Broughty Ferry with blue skies and sunshine. We only caught a couple of light showers yesterday, a world away from what Catch is enduring.

This morning's GFS is going for some fairly widespread frontal snow over higher parts of Scotland on Tuesday evening:

IMG_1300.PNG

Dew points don't look so good in the south, places further north could be game on for some fun though. 

The GFS max temps for Wednesday point to some parts having snow, very low single digit max temps:

IMG_1301.PNG

Loads of rain for other areas, the south-west is forecast for an utter soaking. Benign weather bye bye. 

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 3

Very heavy hail shower here and a couple of miles inland there was about two inches of hail which made the roads very slippy. Planning to take in cows and calves in on Tuesday when pneumonia vaccine arrives for calves as it does not look like warming up much and Tuesday night could be nasty. Getting very muddy too now.Roll on the frost to dry it up a bit Currently blue skies and 5.5c.

• Like 4

Wow. I'm in the slightly unusual position to say that Glasgow seems to have the most pleasant weather today. A nice crisp breezy Autumn day. 

Pretty much all the leaves are down without a big hoolie passing through as well. Another very unusual aspect to this year.

• Like 2

First wintry symbols of the season on the Met 5-day :)

Screenshot_2016-11-06-16-19-08.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Wow. I'm in the slightly unusual position to say that Glasgow seems to have the most pleasant weather today. A nice crisp breezy Autumn day. 

Pretty much all the leaves are down without a big hoolie passing through as well. Another very unusual aspect to this year.

I've travelled cross-country today and can confirm this is true at least in the south. It was stupendously clear out west, I could see the tops of the hills on Arran from J6 of the M-8. 

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Another wintry shower rolling in off the Firth at sunset.PB060222.JPG Cold now at 3c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, 101_North said:

First wintry symbols of the season on the Met 5-day :)

Screenshot_2016-11-06-16-19-08.png

Two snowflakes for Falkirk according to new met office app (which I really, really hate by the way).

Screenshot_2016-11-06-20-37-55.png

1 hour ago, snowidea said:

Two snowflakes for Falkirk according to new met office app (which I really, really hate by the way).

Yep! It's awful. If you're on Android check out Weather Forecast: UK by Onjara Software. Met Office data, forecasts and maps but packaged in a simple, useable, no frills app. Used for my screen capture. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snowidea said:

Screenshot_2016-11-06-20-37-55.png

Must admit, I also cant stand it! Small symbols and its all a mess, much preferred the old one with nice large numbers and symbols with the dark background.

They may of added a video forecast but what happened to the warning maps and also all the other parameters that came with the map as well as rainfall?

I'm still using the old one which apparently will stop working soon.

Sorry for the rant but nice to see I'm not the only one that hates it!

• Like 1

great tip 101 that's a very pleasing app.....

fantastic weekend here...nippy air in the wind but kids been outside playing and I got a final cut of the grass...first year I've managed that for a while 

mt gone quiet but signals all still looking decent for potential decent weather....I would settle for 3 decent lying snow events lasting a few days each....heck I'd settle for just getting the sledge oot

I'm not sure if you'll get lucky tomorrow in your location but this looks like some folks' first shot at snowfall accumulating. Hugely impressive for so early in the season, a shot at frontal snow:

IMG_1303.GIF

That's the Euro4, and I've got to say that's as good as it's looked for this type of widespread snow event for quite a while. 

• Like 4