Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
9 hours ago, mardatha said:

Husband wouldn't, he has no interest in going anywhere south of the border. Furthest I've been was York, for one day !

I find that amazing ,  i love discovering new places.

• Like 1

Posted

Cool day here too with a smattering of light showers. Warm enough  though for spring barley to emerge after just 12 days Hopefully on course for an August harvest.

Down to 4c tonight so growth coming to a halt overnight.

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all,

April generally coming in at +1 to +2c above average so far, Probably helping NL's spring barley crop! Certainly lots of growth on trees and shrubs around here. Been dry here but windy the last few days. We may catch a shower or two today and the weekend looks rather cool and unsettled, unfortunately!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

At least some of the veg seeds I sowed out a couple of weekends ago are starting to show through (under plastic). Been too busy to check which ones exactly, I'll have a closer look at the weekend but most likely the radish as they are generally bomb-proof.

Cloudy here this morning with just the odd blue patch trying to show through. Dry, breezy and cool (8.8C at 10am in Dyce).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Yes, the days drag when you're stuck in the house. Ger better soon Catch and get me better weather as well!

Posted

A cool evening when these photos were taken of a snow shower20170414_191514.thumb.jpg.63735b527513f8aa2e3219cf08f221b1.jpg20170414_191523.thumb.jpg.d6fe65b98b3ebe52005733b57d25a980.jpg over the Cairngorms to the south of us at 5c.

• Like 3

Posted

Cold start at 3c this morning ,snow level on surrounding hills down to about 1500 feet . Very cool out there in the fresh breeze but mostly suny with a number of wintry showers on the horizon.Currently 6c

Posted

A cold start earlier this morning, car was covered in ice first thing.

Pleasant enough in the sun now, but still that nagging NWN breeze making it feel cool in the shade. Temp currently 10C.

Having completed her radiotherapy treatment, Oagie enjoyed an off-the-lead walk today, her first since February.

58f2052ccf390_Oag30.thumb.jpg.5614fad302863576d5082a48461b3d1f.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

.1c  start to the day with a ground frost. Looks like the begining of a period of very slow growth.Some south facing daffodils were beginnig to fade while north facing ones still had some at bud burst. These will probably survive till May now. Cattle turnout looks like May now with the pattern of  prolonged cold late springs continuing.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
47 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

.1c  start to the day with a ground frost. Looks like the begining of a period of very slow growth.Some south facing daffodils were beginnig to fade while north facing ones still had some at bud burst. These will probably survive till May now. Cattle turnout looks like May now with the pattern of  prolonged cold late springs continuing.

Hi Northern Lights, what a difference between the Christmas period weather and to what you have now. Very cold air mass this morning and notice on the Cairngorm web cam snow line fairly low . Southern Scandinavia in the same boat with a record cold April now on the cards for parts of Southern Sweden. My daughter who lives there had a white Easter Sunday with 10cm of snowfall and a low of -8c ! I love the type of weather you have at the moment but in February. A prolonged late cold spring is no good now for anyone. Weird how a very mild , almost snowless winter can turn on its heel and provide a shock to nature and humans.

• Like 1

Posted

Slight frost on the grass and cars here this morning too. Not sure what the overnight low was but it was 0.4C at 7:30am. Started with a lot of blue sky and sun but clouding over now in what looks like a gentle northerly breeze.

The weekend was OK, mainly sunny if a little on the chilly side. Saturday was quite windy and in the afternoon there were some pretty heavy, but short-lived showers. Sunday was probably cloudier overall but there were still some sunny interludes at times. Much less windy than Saturday, so felt more pleasant, and lacked the rain showers.

Looks like a brief warm up mid-week then back to the cool regime.

I looked at one of the GFS runs last night for the first time in a while and had to laugh. If it'd been anytime from Dec to Feb the MOD thread would have gone into overdrive on the synoptics on show. Then again, during winter proper they did throw up runs like that which didn't pan out, but what's the bets they do this time.

• Like 2

Posted

Clear and frosty early this morning - now quite overcast and grey. Hardly a breath of wind. Temp 9C.

The windmill sails are stationary.  58f49540e3cc5_windmill10.thumb.jpg.969c0b12132dda316586f5f303970f18.jpg

Edited by ciel
  • Like 3

Posted

Cool day with a maximum of 7c so far .A line of showers 20170417_113229.thumb.jpg.d708c75ac3661403c9e53589bf6d9f1b.jpg moved down from the north across the Firth early afternoon to be followed by20170417_144956.thumb.jpg.9e35e795ee0ad5b2c503e8ca9fd71ee8.jpg very clear arctic air . Ben Wyvis20170417_145457.thumb.jpg.1d9ca5d3b0399d23a62dbfd78125ce81.jpg picking up a fresh cap again this afternoon. As you can see this years turnip ground is now very dry.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted

It was a nice day apart from a few brief showers earlier this evening. Got out on the motorbike to Hamilton, Strathaven & Galston.Great views towards the coast & Arran but didn't stop for photos.

The photo is looking north and you can see Ben Lomond to the left & Dumgoyne Hill to the right of centre. It shows the clearer weather weather moving in from the north and the temperature is dropping quickly. Currently 6.5C

IMG_3167.JPG

• Like 1

Posted

Cold frosty start to the day at -2.5c.  Some high cloud moving in.

• Like 2

Posted

In spite of the cold this morning the first swallow has arrived( day length response).Funny how in a warming world ? Scottish springs have remained traditional with N and E winds with possibly an increase in the length and depth of the cold spells we get, especially the last few years. Grass showing purple tipping now with the cold and still some geese coming in to my neighbours grass this morning.

• Like 6

Posted

Weather station recorded an overnight low of -3.5C but still only a slight grass frost when I got up at 7:30am (1C  by then). Pretty much 100% cloud cover at the moment and the cool/cold feel continues.

• Like 2

Posted

Much softer feeling wind today with hazy sunshine. Currently 14c.If it was not for next weeks forecast would be tempted to turn out calves with their mothers full time.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

Amazingly this late on in april for the 3rd year in a row looks like snow for some of us next week......................i'll be down south though and won't see it this time. Amazing though that it happening so it seems yet again

Posted
1 hour ago, NUT said:

Amazingly this late on in april for the 3rd year in a row looks like snow for some of us next week......................i'll be down south though and won't see it this time. Amazing though that it happening so it seems yet again

I'm walking the West Highland Way next week so am glued to the models at present. Quite happy at the prospect of a cold northerly as outside of any showers visibility should be excellent and it sure beats walking in the mild damp and dreich! :D

• Like 4

Posted

Nice breezy start to the day.. Next weeks cold spell looks just like last years one. A photo from 25th April  2016 of snow shower over Moray Firth. Currently 9c P4250009.thumb.JPG.eb93d27cc77cd59da1022450b0137a0e.JPG

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted

Well it hit the dizzy heights of 16.4C around here yesterday (official reading for Aboyne, but was around the same at my house early evening) but as has been said, it's looking like back to cool/cold after today. I really wasn't wanting another cold spring but hey, it's been dry, so it beats mild wet muck.

Posted

Glorious day here in St Andrews. 17c under sunny skies!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We had a dull day with a chilly breeze, I started gardening but soon gave up and came in.