Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

well at least shotts got a mention on the BBC Scotland lunchtime news, they even interviewed a few disgruntled drivers who sat stationary for 2 hours on route to the motorway at shotts.... have to admit, it still amazes me how a couple of inches makes the roads go to rat sh*t.  

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

well at least shotts got a mention on the BBC Scotland lunchtime news, they even interviewed a few disgruntled drivers who sat stationary for 2 hours on route to the motorway at shotts.... have to admit, it still amazes me how a couple of inches makes the roads go to rat sh*t.  

Not sure about Shotts, but in Denny and Bonnybridge, all traffic came off the M80 to try cut through even though it was closed from Stirling to Robroyston, and not a single gritter had treated these roads till about 10am, by which time it was too late as it was gridlock. So many trucks, lost motorists following like sheep on small narrow village roads is just mental, and it wasn't as if this was a surprise. I recall Mr K Brown lost hos job over the mate fiasco of 2010, to me this is no different

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
1 hour ago, BlizzardConditions said:

I really hope your wander involved driving about the countryside on your motorbike a la The Snowman :D

<laughs> Yeah that could have been a go-er if it was light sugary snow but now that it's stopped it's VERY wet out there. Temperature climbing. Drip drip drip :(

Posted

I'm just in from work. I left at 915 this morning and arrived at a garage 10 mins away and took a pic straight away  to capture my white van not blending in with the green surroundings 

IMG_20170223_094600038.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
On 22 February 2017 at 10:40, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm doing it all the "wrong" way this time as not jinxing it doesn't work. I'm telling everyone it's gonna snow a lot tomorrow, I've got my gloves, hat, shovel, torch, etc on standby. We've stocked up on milk, bread and food this morning. I've even got new tires on the car this morning to give me a better chance in the drifts over the next couple of days. The only thing I haven't done is to get the sledge out and that's simply cos I don't own a sledge. The snow will fall, a foot deep for me, a foot and a half for some further west. Chaos on the roads...stay safe!!! 

On 22 February 2017 at 11:13, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm going to open a ski centre tomorrow up the hill behind Duns! I'm so confident of snow tomorrow I've even got my old camera charged up and I'm going to empty the memory card later so I can take it out in the depth of the blizzard at 4am for some blizzardcam footage.

Any new members are going to think "this Catch guy is an arrogant muppet"....

23 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Snow preparations part two!! MrsCatch has cleaned all windows inside and out so we can watch the prawn cracker flakes billowing down. I've stocked up on some extra wood for the fire for when the electric goes off and the heating stops working and I've set some alarms for the morning. I've also set up an automatic snow measuring device for my garden. The first tape is set at 15cm and indicates what the snow depth will be at daybreak tomorrow. The second mark is at 30cm and indicates the snow depth once the snow stops falling. I can't think of anything else to do but wait...

IMG_1953.thumb.JPG.4549bd5835437f460095aa0b9a77cdc1.JPGIMG_1954.thumb.JPG.f3da69313b806f2ab31c85c6643e25ae.JPGIMG_1955.thumb.PNG.481d59b26b891680e87d72a88e4845e8.PNG

If anyone can think of something I've forgotten please let me know!! :good: 

Don't be daft, when do these things ever go wrong? 

I'll let you measure in centimetres and I'll measure in feet and I'll win 1-0.1 :rofl: 

5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We seem to be coming out of the warm sector now, snowing and settling above 200m. Sleeting heavily here now but not going to settle even if it does snow due to the floods :rofl: 

1st pic is on Harden's Hill between Duns and Longformacus and second one is on the A6105 between Greenlaw and Duns.

IMG_1963.thumb.JPG.a8d9475520f116658bb61270a5311392.JPGIMG_1964.thumb.JPG.193c39ce9c955546c2a47f531b67185e.JPG

Well that went well:rofl:

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

My most recent experience of driving in heavy snow was that one muppet slows down to 10-15mph and it all goes wrong from there. Maybe we should all learn to drive to the conditions (or perhaps even learn to not drive in poor conditions) rather than blaming a politician for our own shortcomings? 

Mine today was inconsiderate people who only look after themselves, and have no awareness of others, conditions or location, and will happily stop on a hill in a Chelsea tractor to do something then pull off, not caring about the poor people behind who are now stuck, couple that with a motorway network using the village as a potential cut through. But the fact the roads, even the motorway were not properly treated given the fir warning, as so many services are cut to save money, yet some of that saving I think was just pished up a wall today with the loss of trade etc through nobody getting to work, and the overtime etc to services that were needed to fix something that was predicted and to a small degree avoidable.

Anyhoo rant over and I know not the place for it. Cold outside and slush starting to crisp up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

It was quality CMD thoroughly enjoyed it

....my wife been on the phone saying you told that child u would take her sledging tonight and there is no snow left.....

Gulp 

I hate Scotland 

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Cheggers said:

Not sure about Shotts, but in Denny and Bonnybridge, all traffic came off the M80 to try cut through even though it was closed from Stirling to Robroyston, and not a single gritter had treated these roads till about 10am, by which time it was too late as it was gridlock. So many trucks, lost motorists following like sheep on small narrow village roads is just mental, and it wasn't as if this was a surprise. I recall Mr K Brown lost hos job over the mate fiasco of 2010, to me this is no different

Aw shotts got the double whammy, people coming off the motorway due to the snow making the M 8  a nightmare, trying to cut through shotts .... got stuck!

And then there was the ones who were leaving shotts or passing through shotts to get to the M 8  ..... got stuck!

Doesn't help that the railway bridge in shotts is closed so leaving from the west side of shotts there is only one road (Cummins road onto benhar road) that you can go to get to the M 8 , or the alternative is one of 2 backroads which never get gritted and are riddled with horrendous bends, hills and incompetent drivers plus one of the back roads (shotts Kirk road) goes up to around 270m ASL which of course lead to worse weather. 

And then just to add insult to injury, the A71 had 4 separate accidents on it at the same time, so all in all, it was utter chaos! I'll be watching stv news tonight anyway to see what they have to say about it all. 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 1

Posted

On the train from Leuchars to Glasgow. No snow at train track level in Fife but the Lomonds looked nice. Just stopped at Bathgate, fair bit of snow still lying there.

Posted

Just had our weekly indulgence delivered and the driver told me that Fanketerton and towards Fintry had almost a foot of snaw. Might need to take a drive the morrow. Currently 1C and everything setting hard.

Posted

"I don't know where your friend stays but I'm sure they don't stay in the whole of central and southern Scotland, also I know that English and Welsh news most likely wouldn't have went into any detail as to the snow etc up here but it was carnage for parts of Scotland including where I stay. It was different from what was forecast but certainly not a damp squib, 2 major motorways completely closed for a few hours, countless accidents and gridlock through-out parts of the country, schools closed, power outages, public transport cancelled, and some places cut off with inches of snow - no damp squib! 

The models had pinned down the borders and central belt area to be worst affected but the front travelled further north than forecast meaning that the worst affected was northern parts of the central belt up into central Scotland, Perthshire, fife, Stirlingshire and Aberdeenshire. The borders escaped the worst but models did not suggest a damp squib before hand it certainly was no damp squib for large parts of Scotland."

probably get a wee row for this but just posted this in the model thread in response to another user who stated that today's weather was a damp squib and they know this as they know someone who stays in the hills of central and southern Scotland! It infuriates me how Scotland is made out to be the size of a village to some southerners, ... 'it didn't snow at the one Scottish person I know's house so none of Scotland got any snow and nothing happened' not to mention the fact that I would suggest that few English news platforms mentioned any of the snow in Scotland today even though if this had happened down south it would be the main story up here all day! We had 2 major motorways closed for a few hours, schools closed, public transport cancelled, power failures, it wasn't the way it was forecast but it still caused mayhem and many saw some half decent snow or certainly some of the best snow in the past few years! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

To cap it all for me after all my hard work and enthusiasm I went to get in the car to go up Harden's Hill for a walk and I've got a burst tire. Huge nail snapped off embedded in the tire. So no walk in the snow up there for me after all, another dog walk in cold rain! I'm going to save up and move somewhere decent like Slovenia. 

Or Greece,or Turkey,or Anywhere really away from the UK

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Well we still have about 3" lying in the garden and on the fields, frozen hard this morning and the hubby is oot playing with his snow shovel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Temp gone up to 6c in the sun, and the cat is being driven mad by the noise as avalanches of melting snow slide off the roof.

Mainly onto the Sky dish, naturaly.

Edited by mardatha