Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

M80 is just in tatters ( this is at Dullatur golf course) 

IMG_4075.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Graham posted from Lochgelly - he has snow - watch it live on YouTube: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
12 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

M80 is just in tatters ( this is at Dullatur golf course) 

IMG_4075.PNG

Not much Driving..... But in this weather , I guess that's Par for the course:rofl:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The focus seems to be further North than forecast so far. Looking at the traffic cams the worst [best] for snow seem to be North Central belt. Borders roads look remarkably clear. Auchterarder, Kelty and Drummochter about the snowiest and bits of mate.

Here wet snow and slushy covering for me but only sleety rain in town.

Not mate M80.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Hard to tell the depth here because it has been blowing a bit but I will go for 3".   I live on a steep brae and it has been quite a few years since I saw utter chaos outside!   Cars are stuck all over, some sideways and they can't get up or down.   Living across from a school doesn't help matters either I suppose with parents trying to drop their kids off.   Can't tell how far the traffic is backed up but  it's as far as my eye can see.  Lovely stuff!

• Like 3

Posted

The cars stuck on the incline at Castlecary, if it was upto me any car getting stuck and blocking a major road that didn't have either snowtyres fitted or a shovel onboard should see the driver prosecuted, Then people might either prepare their cars for winter or baldytyres might stay at home. I'd take no prisoners with the idiots that have made everyone else prisoners on the M80 this morning. 

• Like 3

Posted

Thought we were not going to see much today .Its been raining through the night but the first snowflakes are starting to fall just now at 1.3c.Half crown flakes now appearing as I type. Who would be a weather forecaster? Snow getting heavier.Ground frost yesterday evening so ground should be cold enough.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
1 minute ago, Benvironment said:

Not sure if this will work as I've never uploaded a video before but this is what it's like up here just now....

Untitled_Project-HD_720p.mov

Yup, that looks cold and windy!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, skifreak said:

The cars stuck on the incline at Castlecary, if it was upto me any car getting stuck and blocking a major road that didn't have either snowtyres fitted or a shovel onboard should see the driver prosecuted, Then people might either prepare their cars for winter or baldytyres might stay at home. I'd take no prisoners with the idiots that have made everyone else prisoners on the M80 this morning. 

Well said, I'm armchair snowchasing from North Yorks this morning and it doesn't look like Storm Doris is causing chaos on the roads its the unequipped drivers causing the madness.

Posted

It's snowing in Motherwell, beginning to lie a little, but given we had over an inch of rain overnight it'll not be much.  Few miles up the road and Cumbernauld is a white out.  Snow fair.

Posted

Was only starting to settle on cars when I went my morning walk at half 5 this morning now it's totally white (not bad when we've often missed out on the classic falls)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Wow, from the pictures it looks like Fife and parts of N.Lanarkshire are getting the clobbering that the Borders were supposed to receive. That last one from @Benvironmentis seriously impressive.

Well the drive to work for me this morning was through probably the heaviest snow of the winter up here. Which to be honest isn't saying much and caused no real problems despite a mix of slush and snow on the roads. Strangely though, up to the top of Tyrebagger on the A96 it was heavy snow, with it lying. As soon as you got over the top, and I mean an instant transformation, it was rain and wet roads, fields etc. Only just now starting to turn to wet snow in Dyce.

Edit: Current state of my garden...

58aeb1c1b67bc_gardenFeb2017.thumb.jpg.5a9bcc17ace09f974496bef162a9c327.jpg

Imagine getting excited about that, shows just how poor a winter it's been,

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5

Posted

Handy wee tip that you don't seem to hear much, if you don't have snow tires or come across someone's car struggling in the snow, carry a bag full of ash or the deposits of your fire/stove (if you have one) in your boot, pat some around the wheels and off they shall go, great for traction. Though granted you end up looking like you've been fighting coal miners

anyway, back to Doris, picking up a bitty here after a **light snow event** all morning

looks nice and tasty in @Benvironment's bit 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Got up at 7.15 and it was raining. Over the next half an hour the rain gradually turned to sleet and then heavy snow. During the heavy snow, the temperature was 0.8C. That lasted just over an hour but it never looked like lying. The snow then turned lighter and it turned back to sleet as the temperature rose to 1.1C and it's now been like that for the last 45 minutes. A bit underwhelming given how heavy the snow was at around 8am.

Posted

Almost blizzard like for the last hour there but has become a bit more erratic now. Looking at radar the precip band appears to be spiraling round over the central belt with a blank spot that appears to be moving over us now, looks like more behind it, hopefully not rain!

Posted
11 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Handy wee tip that you don't seem to hear much, if you don't have snow tires or come across someone's car struggling in the snow, carry a bag full of ash or the deposits of your fire/stove (if you have one) in your boot, pat some around the wheels and off they shall go, great for traction. Though granted you end up looking like you've been fighting coal miners

anyway, back to Doris, picking up a bitty here after a **light snow event** all morning

looks nice and tasty in @Benvironment's bit 

Also using the matts in your car really help, pop them right under the wheels and voila, traction made and off you go.

Edited by Daryl Dixon
  • Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We seem to be coming out of the warm sector now, snowing and settling above 200m. Sleeting heavily here now but not going to settle even if it does snow due to the floods :rofl: 

1st pic is on Harden's Hill between Duns and Longformacus and second one is on the A6105 between Greenlaw and Duns.

IMG_1963.thumb.JPG.a8d9475520f116658bb61270a5311392.JPGIMG_1964.thumb.JPG.193c39ce9c955546c2a47f531b67185e.JPG

Where the garden snow measuring stick photo and timelapse? I stayed up all night waiting on a photo of it! :rofl:

Sorry, not got much here either. A heavier batch in the last hour as left a slushy covering :)

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 2