Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

This is great animation of the possible snow for Central and Southern Scotland! Again, it goes for a blob to the W/SW of Glasgow giving 15-20cm. Time will tell... :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, 101_North said:

All we need now is Hawsey popping up with his accumulation estimates and we're all screwed :rofl:

Good evening,

I'm not going near this one 101, way too marginal. Although I was spot on in my mid-January snowfall estimates.....for at least one or two members. :D

My best guess would be that for those at low levels and near the coast, you may see some falling snow but nothing more than temporary slush on the ground. For those in the amber area and at 200m or more....it's game on (the likes of ruzzi). It's those in and around the amber area and with modest elevation (~100m) that's very hard to call....that would include you! I think it will depend on where the heaviest precipitation sets up and if you are under it and benefit from evaporative cooling it could end up being a nice little event.

Love Catch's work today, I hope it pays dividends....I think there will be a few folk very happy tomorrow and many more of us looking on in envy! I need to travel through to Glasgow tomorrow afternoon (train) so will report in on conditions en route.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm officially on a snow day tomorrow now, not risking the foot of snow on the m74 even though I kind of want to test the car out in the snow! 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ross B said:

I'm officially on a snow day tomorrow now, not risking the foot of snow on the m74 even though I kind of want to test the car out in the snow! 

So am I, just started back this week with knee still braced but moving, but not risking tomorrow. Temp has dropped here from 6c at 5pm to 3C now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Hope you Guys enjoy your Snow.from my point of view I can only hope for a downgrade.

Looks like I am in the fireing line for the high winds.

C.S. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

So am I, just started back this week with knee still braced but moving, but not risking tomorrow. Temp has dropped here from 6c at 5pm to 3C now.

Yeah good plan, regardless of how much falls it'll be slushy and slippy so no point in risking it.

I still have 6th December 2010 stuck in my head from the 16hours stuck on the mate...

For those on the mate tomorrow.. it could be chaos through all of the roadworks at Baillieston down towards the M74 Raith if the snow does fall - ploughs aren't going to be able to get through efficiently due to the traffic build up so I'd be avoiding at all costs! They are at least lower sections so less prone to the high snowfall amounts which will help.

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted

Went calm after the wind of earlier. Wasn't that a eventful day to be honest. Few light showers but nothing major. Tomorrow.......................well let's wait and see

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Hoping that East Kilbride lives up to its reputation tomorrow :-)

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

It's those in and around the amber area and with modest elevation (~100m) that's very hard to call....that would include you! I think it will depend on where the heaviest precipitation sets up and if you are under it and benefit from evaporative cooling it could end up being a nice little event.

Good shout I think. Amber area or not I think it's too marginal for my location and I'm prepared for a day of sleety pish! A trip up into the Pentlands could be on the cards though :)

• Like 2

Posted
44 minutes ago, ruzzi (snowboy) said:

In my head I had made some sort of similarity with the snow storm of 26th / 27th February 2001 and this approaching 'snow' storm, however upon checking it's not really similar at all. It was my all time best snow day.... 60cm of level snow and drifts so big that I could walk onto the roofs of cottages and over the top of transit vans. Don't know if anyone remembers it? 

IMG_4058.PNG

Similar dates in 2010 brought huge snowfalls under a stalled occlusion to the Northern Cairngorms and Strathspey, I think the bulk fell on the 25 and 26th from a quick look at old charts. As for 2001 I recall a huge fall on CairnGorm overnight Tuesday 6th into Wed 7th March and it fell in mostly light winds after a stormy Tuesday, however a synoptic pattern that stood out from 2001 that brought another one of that years huge dumps was this in early Feb:

feb2001triplestack.thumb.gif.005ebbba5281de538377effdce87e119.gif

A similar 'triple stack' showed up in the models for late Feb 2010, the charts didn't end up quite as neat and tidy as those three lows lined up, but the effect was similar:

Rrea00120100226.thumb.gif.6ab521911c57fe552a228aa6f32a67b7.gif

Something in the order of 72 inches of snow on the CairnGorm plateau from radar returns in 2 and bit days - leading to this at Glenmore:

morlich27feb2010.thumb.jpeg.fa856d4ff247cc6089c57439ea2b6fba.jpegglenmore27feb2010.thumb.jpeg.cc4b2a1580c2cffe8b8a9967d8af7218.jpeg

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Good evening!

I decided to panic buy at my local ASDA. No rolls or milk left on shelves thanks to me :)

Generator is ready.

Candles on standby.

Shipping Forecast duly listened to see where Storm Doris is.

Longjohns looked out. Spikes for shoes looked out. Snow tyres fitted to car.

Checked in on all my neighbours see if they needed anything. Snow shovel ready. 

Filled up pale from council grit bucket.

Bring it on!!

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Good evening!

I decided to panic buy at my local ASDA. No rolls or milk left on shelves thanks to me :)

Generator is ready.

Candles on standby.

Shipping Forecast duly listened to see where Storm Doris is.

Longjohns looked out. Spikes for shoes looked out. Snow tyres fitted to car.

Checked in on all my neighbours see if they needed anything. Snow shovel ready. 

Filled up pale from council grit bucket.

Bring it on!!

That better not be the generator for the snow dome round here. lol

• Like 3

Posted

Upgrade from the meto! More places included in  the Amber. Ramp! (East Kilbride, Greater Glasgow and North of the central belt)

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
4 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Look at all that snaw piling into the system south of Iceland.

snaw.PNG

Ah Mondy's back, must be a chance o' some real snaw eh!

Big Innes

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 hours ago, mardatha said:

SLAP BANG ON TOP MY ROOF lol

Big white hole on mine :diablo:

Posted
1 hour ago, Ross B said:

I'd be inclined to try the B7076/B7078 on the assumption the overwhelming majority will stay on the '74 where your car makes no odds if everything has come to a stop up ahead. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

Amber warning extended further north into stilring and into glasgow in the west. the warning is in the outskirks of edinburgh either

would that mean a red warning for major citys with a snowstorm coming.... only kidden were not england:rofl:

hope everyone gets the snow there wanting lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Trying not to get too excited, primed to work from home if necessary, would love a snow day. 

Edited by snowidea

Posted

It seems that Storm Doris will conjure up some weather of interest. It's been a dull and disappointing winter with not a lot happening, especially as far as typical winter weather goes. 

We've had two occasions of lying snow, one in early November and one last month bringing 1cm. There have been a couple of winters poorer than this but it's been pretty disappointing after the promise in November - which had the best of the cold. In the absence of cold and snow, at least there's been an absence of the more unpleasant varieties of winter weather. 

Anyway, tonight is set up to be pretty interesting. This sort of event involves fine margins between nothing and a pasting. I'm sure some will be very successful,  the Borders in particular and I'm looking forward to your reports and pics. 

I'm currently in Bearsden, which is just outside the Amber zone and given the winter so far, I'm cautious of my prospects. I'm hopeful of seeing snow or possibly some accumulations, but depending on whether factors are on my side then I could be rewarded with a snowfall to remember the winter for. I'm under 150m, and might be on the wrong side of the heaviest precipitation, but this set up is a bit of a lottery so you can never be sure what to expect which makes things pretty exciting. I'd settle for an inch, but whether I see something better or nothing at all remains to be seen. 

Good luck everyone.

Edited by A Winter's Tale
  • Like 5

Posted

I hope @mardatha has some diazepam and a kitten to cuddle for her hubby, tomorrow is going to be a long day for that gentleman..

With set-ups like this in the past we've often got waaay over the MetO predictions, so fingers crossed for all you guys in the firing line, hope youse get pasted :)

Few rogue snow showers here this morning to get us in the mood for whatever rolls in tomorrow. Plenty pictures please people 

• Like 5