Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

do you think the met office might upgrade to an orange warning tomorrow cause the central belt is going to get pasted with this snow event, going to be a fun trip into work on thursday if this pans out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

7 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

do you think the met office might upgrade to an orange warning tomorrow cause the central belt is going to get pasted with this snow event, going to be a fun trip into work on thursday if this pans out

I think if the models continue the same track for the precipitation tomorrow's runs then by tomorrow night it may well happen 

Edited by edo

Posted

Latest met office forecast for Strathclyde.  Notice he distinct lack of sleet or rain for Thursday anf mention of  snow to very low levels by dawn.  Sounds like a ramp to me!

Tonight:

Dry for a time in the evening, but soon rain, sleet and hill snow will arrive. Some snow is possible down to very low levels towards dawn. Drier northern Argyll. Minimum Temperature -2C.

Thursday:

Cloudy with snow in the morning, this clearing towards midday with brighter spells and scattered wintry showers following. Best of drier brighter weather across Argyll later. Maximum Temperature 5C.

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all,

Is is just me or has the 0z GFS taken the system ever so slightly further north? Anyway an interesting couple of days to come. I think this one is really hard to call and I won't be making any snow depth predictions,  unlike last time! Those with a bit of altitude (even 100m) may do rather well. Locally, with the wind off the sea I wouldn't be expecting much if any accumulation along the coast in Dundee and NE Fife. The likes of Sawel, Blitzen, Big Innes & Benvironment may do rather better!

• Like 5

Posted
8 hours ago, 101_North said:

My flights have been changed so I'm looking forward to watching this go tits up from home!

You'll see something out there probably but be amazed if anything other than sleet here in the city 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Not a snowflake in sight for me if my MO app is correct :nonono:

Screenshot_20170222-070843.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Nope, not getting excited again as hee-haw forecast for Skye. Bit nippy today though and we had a blustery night too, recording a 38.9 mph gust early this morning. Enjoy it when it comes Peeps!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, snowidea said:

Not a snowflake in sight for me if my MO app is correct :nonono:

Screenshot_20170222-070843.png

My Met App shows heavy snow for Falkirk for a time tomorrow morning :)

• Like 1

Posted

Updated warning, sounds like a slush fest away from high ground... 

Snow is expected over the high ground of northern England and Scotland on Thursday and may fall to low levels for a time in Scotland. Snow accumulations of 3 to 6 cm are likely above 200 metres with 10 cm or more above 300 metres. At low levels, including the Central Belt, 1 to 3 cm is possible in places. Expect some disruption to transport networks and possibly power supplies. Associated heavy rain at low levels will be an additional hazard. The warning has been updated to slightly shrink the yellow area and also to change the position in the risk matrix.

A developing area of low pressure, named Storm Doris, is expected to move east across the UK during Thursday. Rain or sleet will occur at low levels at first, but some snow is also likely, perhaps more so as the system clears to the east. However, over the high ground and particularly the Southern Uplands, a spell of heavy snow looks likely. In addition heavy rain may lead to some localised flooding at lower

• Like 1

Posted

Yep - let the downgrade begin. Latest Euro4 shows it as a higher ground only affair too. 

Edit: I must have viewed the warnings before the updates were complete! I'm now in an Amber warning area which has surely just about killed any chance of seeing snow! A yellow is usually enough to achieve that LOL

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
32 minutes ago, 101_North said:

My Met App shows heavy snow for Falkirk for a time tomorrow morning :)

Ooh,  yes mine showing that too now.  Fingers crossed 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

As Catch said previously, this will be marginal and many will miss out  but in that amber sweet soot (especially anyone that's a usual suspect, v high parts of the m74 for example) there will be a LOT of snow.

Rain for me though so i'm pretty chilled about it but i'm sure someone just south of the central belt will do fantastically well

Posted
13 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm doing it all the "wrong" way this time as not jinxing it doesn't work. I'm telling everyone it's gonna snow a lot tomorrow, I've got my gloves, hat, shovel, torch, etc on standby. We've stocked up on milk, bread and food this morning. I've even got new tires on the car this morning to give me a better chance in the drifts over the next couple of days. The only thing I haven't done is to get the sledge out and that's simply cos I don't own a sledge. The snow will fall, a foot deep for me, a foot and a half for some further west. Chaos on the roads...stay safe!!! 

You'll end up with more snow than most of the ski centres have... looking forward to the photos tomorrow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

One thing you forgot Catch ... shut all the curtains and keep them shut all day tomorrow. That way you won't see the huuuge drifts all round the Wee Hoose on the Prairie :rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
On 21/02/2017 at 01:36, ruzzi (snowboy) said:

Just patiently awaiting the MetO warnings, curious as to what their estimated depths will be if the latest precipitation charts are anything to go by. Could all change of course but I reckon they could be suggesting 20-30cm in some favoured locations with altitude. Maybe even warrant an amber warning as it'll likely coincide with morning rush hour with reasonably gusty winds around aswell. 

I think I may just go apply to work for the MetO .... I put out the amber warning and 20-30 cm a day and half before them haha! 

In all seriousness, could actually be pretty awful in parts tomorrow, feeling a wee bit hopeful now being inside the amber area and 200m of elevation, please please please don't f**k it up this time winter! Hopefully we can get some really decent photos too. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I can't help it, I'm already telling folks in the office not to expect me tomorrow / I'll work from home.

I'm sooooo... jinxing this for everyone. Sorry.

Or at least everyone within a 5 mile corridor of the A68/A720. And probably @mardatha too.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
13 hours ago, 101_North said:

My flights have been changed so I'm looking forward to watching this go tits up from home!

Awwwww fffs im not happy, put this with all the talk of height etc I've wrote this off 

Scrooge today 

Edited by edo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

On Netweather forecast it says I've to get 20.9mm of snow. I don't know millimeters but I'm not googling to convert it cos I bet it turns into 2 and a bit inches. 20 sounds better lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Wall to wall sunshine but pretty windy as forecast. 7.6C currently in Dyce.

I'm not worrying about tomorrows snow, because I'm 100% convinced I'll not see any. For those about to be buried, we salute you. Just ensure you take photos and post them before the power goes out.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, edo said:

Awwwww fffs im not happy, put this with all the talk of height etc I've wrote this off 

Scrooge today 

The guilt at ruining this for my own kids is killing me! 

• Like 3

Posted
47 minutes ago, mardatha said:

On Netweather forecast it says I've to get 20.9mm of snow. I don't know millimeters but I'm not googling to convert it cos I bet it turns into 2 and a bit inches. 20 sounds better lol

I can't remember where I read it but I'm sure I read somewhere before that 1mm of precipitation is equivalent to between 0.5 - 1.0 cm of snow (the variation comes with temperature) so being in the U.K. it's always more likely that there will be warmer sectors involved etc etc so would be safer go with the lower estimate but on that basis maybe between 10 - 20 cm. I hope I'm not making it up, I'm certain I read it somewhere before lol 

Edited by ruzzi (snowboy)