Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Thursday looking nice and dicey (although knowing our luck might get a big dump of sleet while the hills get plastered)

Posted
13 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

I would imagine not re Abington area. Lanark for example is forecast heavy snow and a high of 1/2c so the higher parts of the M74 will be colder still

Bit of a tough one... if I don't do both journeys I'll probably have to do at least one!

Edited by Ross B

Posted
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's only the Met-O automated forecast which is going for heavy snow for me, the GFS one is for ridiculously heavy rain in a short period of time. I probably live more or less at the same latitude as you within 10 miles. The charts don't look that promising with fairly high dew points but heights are low so we'll see. The Euro4 is almost in range now, an interesting/exciting 48hrs ahead for those of us who are potentially in the path of this. I'm fairly confident someone will be very happy by Thursday lunchtime but I'm also aware that for some of us it's going to be a very, very wet and disappointing day. 

Yeah it's on a knife edge as always seems to be the case. I think the only thing that's giving hope is that I am almost directly in the center on the mainland away from the coasts and sitting about 200 metres above sea level. It will most certainly be a rain to snow even though if it actually does manage to turn to snow, so it really will have to power down if it's to give any form of accumulations. The automated MetO output still looks promising but like you say, the dew points and other factors are really knife edge. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Currently 6.2C here in Dyce, less than half of yesterday's 13.8C at the same time.

Looking forward, the forecasts for Thursday for here suggests its more likely to be a rain event, possibly turning to light snow later and into Friday. Before then, tomorrow looks like a nice sunny day, but on the windy side so probably feeling quite cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

meto teasing just now, looks like a warning for snow on the small warning map then you click on the map to read it and it says no warnings in place.

Posted

Whoop Whoop, forecast heavy snaw for 6 hours on Thursday, and I have a little bit of altitude. Normally when Denny is wet we are white.

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 2

Posted

Some exciting weather for Scotland on the way Storm Doris looks to dump a lot of snow in places drifting too. The 'epicentre' the worst of the snow and winds looks to be the central belt situated on the northern flank of Doris S of this it could be largely heavy rain. If you have some good elevation then be ready. Blizzard like conditions...

IMG_1937.thumb.JPG.e36ce1febaa4736dad9ed995d055856c.JPGIMG_1938.thumb.JPG.430bfc2cb7db459ead7d6db2df67cd2e.JPG

• Like 5

Posted

Correct @Catchmydrift the reason is probably my work software being around Internet Explorer 3.0 

Looked on phone and all good....

Can't get myself excited after recent disappointments but I have just decided taking the kids sledging up Glenshee this weekend

Anyone any tips of best locations etc 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

It  looks like it's right on top of us here. I'm daring to hope...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
4 minutes ago, mardatha said:

It  looks like it's right on top of us here. I'm daring to hope...

17022306_2106.gif

Just coming into view on the EURO4...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Well update this thread with pics Thursday then people. 

(For one of the last times ever, i'm home this week so too far south for any snow. Perhaps some sleet is the best i can hope for)

Anywhere mid central belt with height will be looking at a serious event, will be interesting to see what warnings are issued on the day

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Take a look at @BigJoeBastardi's Tweet:

He can go a bit over the top but can't remember him posting about Scotland too much.

• Like 4

Posted

Hopefully there will be some snow on the ground and a bit of brightness on Lowther Hill tomorrow because the webcam batteries appear to have gone flat - just when something fairly epic might happen on Thursday! :cold:

Posted
36 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Time for GFS snow depth craziness. If anyone can find a location with more snow forecast on Thursday then you win. Half a metre!! 

IMG_1945.thumb.PNG.893aeb39b3c6ba48c2ae9d3f2f6fd70c.PNG

For near me it isn't quite as good, I'd happily take the risk of some rain just to see that much snow fall:

IMG_1946.thumb.PNG.b08e5552a727d56950814f1d2f0dc87b.PNG

Where's the BANK button when you need it? 

Not quite but will bank this is true.

Untitled.thumb.png.acc7d306d334f713f54fe434430264d1.png

Forecast for Denny

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

would anyone tell me what whitburn  would get out of this snow event its bad enough we get snow cause were high up but this lookes like its the real deal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

I'll very surprised to get any lying snow in Grangemouth. Will probably start off as heavy rain early on Wednesday night then gradually turn to sleet and wet snow later in the night and Thursday morning but will struggle to ly here

Edited by GrangemouthBairn
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, scottish skier said:

17022306_2106.gif

Just coming into view on the EURO4...

Hmm that has heavy snow for here, and that's the time I need to leave for Durham... winter tyres might get their first proper test! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Latest Euro4,  this will still chop and change between now and the event but it does look as if it will happen it's simply a question of where and how much:

IMG_1947.thumb.GIF.7edf7dcc8d1cb01d2c2bfd1364b33802.GIFIMG_1948.thumb.GIF.6da56ee27eac96fcefa32220ea097b3d.GIF

It's a narrow sweet spot but someone's going to be happy.

It's worth mentioning that precip totals are immense too, @SW Saltire get your boat ready :( IMG_1949.thumb.GIF.9182f045a454221488a70265b306c82a.GIF

Faaaaak, not great. Admittedly i'm just left of the 38 mm and not the 76! 

Looks like a good event, who knows what will happen. Still time for changes yet

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Awww stained glass window off looks like too far north here.......Grrrrrrrrrrr....... Just give me some snow to shut my kids up and get the sledges out 

Posted
6 minutes ago, edo said:

Awww stained glass window off looks like too far north here.......Grrrrrrrrrrr....... Just give me some snow to shut my kids up and get the sledges out 

I've been looking at all the precipitation charts which are available to us in the public domain over the years and the EURO4 is not the best. I find the ECM precipitation charts to be nearer the mark although it only really gives an idea as to how much precipitation there will be, rather than type. For example... This evening's 12Z output has a lot for much of Scotland...

170221_1200_45a.png

170221_1200_4b.png

• Like 1

Posted

Nice one @Sawel fingers crossed