Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Another lovely sunny morning with a thin frost on the car windscreen. Of course, sods law means it'll be cloudy all weekend.

Posted

A beautiful morning. One of those rare enough days when there was no frost at the house but the further down the hill the bus got then the frostier it got. 

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Fabulous day here after a cold start at 2c with a good ground frost.Rose to 12c eventually. Hints of cooler air in March in the model thread and going by the last few springs seems quite probable.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

Grey and overcast but dry here in Broughty Ferry. Mild at 10c already. We should dodge much of the rain (fingers crossed).

Posted

Just saw my first taps aff sunbather of the season. It's 12c and sunny in Broughty Ferry. :D

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

A repeat of March 2006 would have been nice. Oh well.

The event was well predicted in advance so I remember looking forward to it throughout the working week as it was forecast to hit on Saturday evening. It must have been before the models imploded at +72...:D

Watching the then BBC rainfall radar through the day was interesting. There was a massive amount of rain/precipitation coming in from the west. The things that made it seem very unusual was that it was very heavy in moisture, moving very slowly and the cold was in place from the east/north but it was March? 

It started around 11pm in Glasgow. My sister and her now husband walked 4 miles home as no taxi firms were answering. The first photo of photos is of our dearly departed cat Sasha watching the snow come down. The second is the view from my kitchen window onto the back garden. The third is Scott Street looking towards Sauchiehall Street. This was taken in the afternoon and there was still a lot of snow around for the city centre. It did slightly melt come the evening but it is still in my top 3 snow events.

Winter can still pack a proper punch it March!

Massive potential for someone to get utterly pasted on Thursday if these charts come off. It'll be a fine line, if you're in the sweet spot that's a foot of snow. 30 miles south and it's cold wet rain all the way:

IMG_1922.thumb.PNG.a6876be61a1331d388f01ab2906e434c.PNGIMG_1923.thumb.GIF.089dfcc745d4a681f4452695ad74018b.GIFIMG_1925.thumb.PNG.63adc15a2be0b57e01481a9b698b4a7b.PNG

At face value it reminds me of March 2006 but I'd need to have a closer look into it :) 

Edit: ha ha hmmm It's nothing like 2006.

IMG_1927.thumb.GIF.b8bcfca2ef079588b9a5c3959ad1ba00.GIFIMG_1928.thumb.PNG.dbed479cb94fe1c75d94a16dfc310868.PNG

Storm 4th May 2006 084.jpg

Storm 4th May 2006 087.jpg

Storm 4th May 2006 098.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Well my eyebrow is beginning to raise slightly.... chances seem to be ever so slightly more favourable according to the 18z for someone to get a proper pasting on Thursday. Elevation will no doubt be the clincher between sleety wet mush and proper snow but it certainly won't be without interest. Could be quite gusty around that time aswell as the system moves through. 

IMG_4024.PNG

IMG_4025.PNG

IMG_4026.PNG

IMG_4027.PNG

IMG_4028.PNG

IMG_4029.PNG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Probly be me that gets some of it -  neighbours have started lambing and they always get snow, every year.

Posted

I can't adequately describe how pish it was walking to the bus this morning! Awful morning!

Some of those charts for later this week made me chuckle! I'm away with work towards the end of the week so it's guaranteed to snow! 

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I come on to say that its just short of 14C outside in Dyce and find people talking about snow in a day or two. Only in Scotland!!! :rofl:

Not been a bad weekend, if you like your mid-Feb mild that is. Pretty much dry with light winds and varying amounts of sun. Took the mountain bike out for a tootle around the woods on Sat and despite trying to be careful, I was way over dressed for it. Sunday was probably even nicer but in my current unfit state I was suffering from Saturday so it was largely a lazy day.

Posted

Maybe some interest Friday / Saturday aswell 

IMG_4030.PNG

IMG_4031.PNG

Edited by ruzzi (snowboy)
  • Like 3

Posted

And just keeps the interest going ... 

IMG_4032.PNG

Edited by ruzzi (snowboy)
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Wow had written winter off but perking my eyes up again....would love a much unexpected surprise...those photos above are enough to make you greet at what has gone the last 3 winters here....may actually look at the charts tonight

Especially as 101 is heading away...the stars are aligning 

Posted
3 minutes ago, edo said:

Wow had written winter off but perking my eyes up again....would love a much unexpected surprise...those photos above are enough to make you greet at what has gone the last 3 winters here....may actually look at the charts tonight

Especially as 101 is heading away...the stars are aligning 

I'm heading to Wisconsin with work where you'd have thought I might see something seasonal at this time of year. But no! A check of the forecasts would suggest they are having a record breaking heatwave :wallbash:It's meant to cool down a bit but sadly only to temps I'd get at home in February. I can't buy wintry weather this year LOL

• Like 1

Posted

I remember the snow event of March 2006 well.. The forecast the night before mentioned snow but I don't remember major snowfall predicted and I predicted rain or sleet and said to a friend we've seen the last of the snow this winter. It was during the day Saturday the 6th Nations was on from Dublin and was Heavy Rain there. Cloudy in Glasgow but was bitter cold.. I went into the City Centre that night and it was bitter. Only to find around 10:30 the first half hour of very light snow which was lying already on Hope Street. By 2am only buses appeared to run with there destination screens covered in snow and the side destination was how you new the number.. Some depth that night and when I woke up in the morning it was drizzle and snow started to slowly melt..

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The charts for Thursday are looking more and more interesting, wet and windy or snowy and windy? Who knows yet but something's coming :) 

IMG_1934.thumb.PNG.f22c700a793a7a3abf33b8cd22256147.PNGIMG_1935.thumb.GIF.68add7f8c9108e764933ab57556faecb.GIFIMG_1936.thumb.GIF.c821ec51996981535acc3d65aef8a06a.GIF

Interestingly the GFS is the least developed.

Yep, the GFS and Arpege have the bulk of precipitation further South but the ECM and UKMO have it quite a bit further North. 

Posted

A balmy 15.3c at Leuchars earlier, warmest day of the year so far (says he without checking). I'll be in Glasgow on Thursday evening so keeping a close eye on Catch's charts!

I too remember March 2006 because it even delivered snow to Crail! :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted

Just cannot help but keep checking for Thursday ..... 

IMG_4038.PNG

• Like 2

Posted

GFS has now pushed the PPN further North and it is looking very intense for central parts of Scotland. Looking at things, there could be some significant falls of snow in places yet a few miles away it could be rain. ECM, UKMO and GFS now on the same wavelength - the potential for significant snowfall for some parts on Thursday morning, lasting much of the day.

I think the further North you are in the main PPN area and away from the coast the better the chance of snow.

gfs.png

gfs2.png

60-574UK.gif

Edited by Sawel
  • Like 3

Posted

The suspense is killing me... just desperate for one decent fall before the winter is out! Just patiently awaiting the MetO warnings, curious as to what their estimated depths will be if the latest precipitation charts are anything to go by. Could all change of course but I reckon they could be suggesting 20-30cm in some favoured locations with altitude. Maybe even warrant an amber warning as it'll likely coincide with morning rush hour with reasonably gusty winds around aswell. I'm half expecting it to go nipples skyward before Thursday as it would be horribly fitting with this winter but we deserve something after such a long wait. Looks like it'll be on fine margins as always. Fingers crossed, and if nothing else, it's still nice to see that the MetO have the wee heavy snow symbols firmly in place IMBY for Thursday.  

IMG_4046.PNG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

My postcode has heavy snow all day Thurs, I said whooHOOO and that triggered an argument wi the grumpy auld sod I'm married to, who hates snow... :wallbash:

• Like 4

Posted

Trying to work out of i should risk the m74 down to Englander Thursday morning and then back up late afternoon... probably not a good idea...

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
26 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Trying to work out of i should risk the m74 down to Englander Thursday morning and then back up late afternoon... probably not a good idea...

I would imagine not re Abington area. Lanark for example is forecast heavy snow and a high of 1/2c so the higher parts of the M74 will be colder still

• Like 1