Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Yes, and I'm going home to get some tonight... This is what working away from home with only blokes does to you!

Oh I see!   Then you are almost normal after all!:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Naff all to do with Scotland, but to pass the time...

My work colleague was just showing me some photos from his hometown in the south of Iran. Suffice to say the weather is a bit unusual (north gets snow, but not the south).

http://pgnews.ir/module/news/135859/

photo_2017-02-03_17-28-42.jpg

photo_2017-02-03_18-57-24.jpg

536351photo_2017-02-03_11-51-34.jpg

All I can say is FFS. Everywhere's getting snaw but us.

Oh.. don't visit the website if you plan a trip to the states. :blink2:

(edit just noticed the one with a snowman smoking a shisha pipe - quality)

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Models not without interest...colder air looks nailed on for next week and a few potential easterly flow options...fingers crossed the back loaded winter happens 

Some serious uppers 6 days away 

Screenshot_20170203-201342.png

• Like 8

Posted
2 hours ago, edo said:

Models not without interest...colder air looks nailed on for next week and a few potential easterly flow options...fingers crossed the back loaded winter happens 

Some serious uppers 6 days away 

Screenshot_20170203-201342.png

Close but no cigar! My experience, albeit limited to my exact location, is -10c uppers required in an easterly here. I can remember -8c uppers and rain on more than one occasion! Just a little nudge in the right direction required though :)

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Close but no cigar! My experience, albeit limited to my exact location, is -10c uppers required in an easterly here. I can remember -8c uppers and rain on more than one occasion! Just a little nudge in the right direction required though :)

Yes I'd go along with that. Depends on the exact wind direction but a long fetch south easterly with plenty of mixing off the North Sea will require very cold uppers to deliver for us east coasties. I'm no Euro-sceptic but I am an easterly-sceptic!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I'll defer to NL on this as I don't think I've seen snow falling from a SEerly in my 20 years on the black isle - it all gets pinched by the cairngorm... 

Posted
36 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

I'll defer to NL on this as I don't think I've seen snow falling from a SEerly in my 20 years on the black isle - it all gets pinched by the cairngorm... 

Yes spot on we will just be dry and frosty.and hopefully sunny

• Like 1

Posted

Not much to write home about this morning as dreich sums it up.   Had some rain overnight but nothing too drastic.  Local weather station was forecasting snow overnight for here but it has changed now. 4.2c/3.2c/S

static_weathercams.php.jpe

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Charts are still failing to convince me that we're getting anything decent in the next couple of weeks. More frost and perhaps a sleetflake? 

My daughter loves cold and frosty weather but after a while I have to say I find it boring.   I like more action!

• Like 2

Posted

Started heavy sleeting here............

Posted
2 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Started heavy sleeting here............

Same here, hammering down. Managed to walk dog at the beach in bright sunshine but really dire now. About to settle down and watch the rugby in a bit. Heating on lol.

• Like 1

Posted

Cool air has arrived after 7c  first thing this morning its now breezy wet and 3c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

24c, sunny, light winds. Chilling by the pool....

oh wait, this is the Scottish regional thread, not the 'post the weather where you currently are' thread. My bad ;)

• Like 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

24c, sunny, light winds. Chilling by the pool....

oh wait, this is the Scottish regional thread, not the 'post the weather where you currently are' thread. My bad ;)

:cold: at my frog pond!

• Like 3

Posted
49 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Heavy rain, 541t day. But I'm home and feeling a bit more balanced now.  Is the easterly cancelled yet?

Nope although some fear its a dry timid beasterley....in fact meto 5 to 16 dayer just said could be turning very cold...I am feeling quite bullish that the colds coming and snow....all variations of themes just now and I reckon there is enough traction to see a decent spell for some of us

And if it doesn't see you next November :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
15 minutes ago, edo said:

Nope although some fear its a dry timid beasterley....in fact meto 5 to 16 dayer just said could be turning very cold...I am feeling quite bullish that the colds coming and snow....all variations of themes just now and I reckon there is enough traction to see a decent spell for some of us

And if it doesn't see you next November :D

Indeed. Seems like each 'wave' is getting stronger so next week may be a bit dry and chilly but background signals look increasingly favourable (MJO gaining amplitide - which means it will have a greater say as one of the background drivers - and heading for phase 8 which is v good). 

So who knows but (an analogy i'd use is) the stack of cards is getting shuffled that but more favourably each time.

Additionally, in Scotland we have that bit more time sun wise.

We have time but it needs to get its skates on, hopefully the proper cold will give us a late winter (not end of March) blast.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Sun out at times today, mainly this afternoon. Pleasant enough. 

Snowdrops now well up in the woods around the cottages.

IMG_1398.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

I have had a temporary disinterest in the weather - I think there  has been a fog and fairly grey and cold condition over the past two days or so.

My doggie has had her op, and I'm hoping for some benign conditions for the next few days so that she can have some quiet, pleasant and restrained exercise.

Oagie_post_op_5.thumb.jpg.1a99bf8ddd1a5c1f0e4d116c19bbcc35.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Daily Star reporting this morning that the Meto have said we're about to move into SSW phase comparable to 2010.

Can't see it getting that cold, but MetO forecasters seem to think something's coming.

• Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

Daily Star reporting this morning that the Meto have said we're about to move into SSW phase comparable to 2010.

Can't see it getting that cold, but MetO forecasters seem to think something's coming.

Wouldn't be an....... EASTERLY by any chance, would it? I mean, the MT has been looking for one since about Nov!!! :D 

Posted

Models still looking at it,  but appearing cold and likely dry just now with some flurries....any magical charts with the-10 850s or lower still always seem to be 10 days away....also a slight risk that we (especially those in the east actually get very grey cloudy cold days) which I don't mind but I know a lot of you do...I'm still confident the models playing a little catch up and that we will eventually draw the coldest pool of air over scandi that can see on chart below and give us the weather we are looking for.....

No boom charts for here yet but expect some soon..... wow I'm sounding like I'm in the MT....must step away from the MT

5896797ee5ecd_GHT850_EUROPA_120-1.png.b4c5a5d0eb08a129bd1f175e9d5c2532.png

Edited by edo
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
1 hour ago, Richard Taylor said:

Wouldn't be an....... EASTERLY by any chance, would it? I mean, the MT has been looking for one since about Nov!!! :D 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, edo said:

No boom charts for here yet but expect some soon..... wow I'm sounding like I'm in the MT....must step away from the MT

Be careful, it gets addictive watching the swings in mood in there. Giving myself the weekend off from it and just quickly scanning the models. Certainly looking like a colder period coming up, but not looking snowy. There's the usual question though, once the Scandi block gets in place are the models being too quick in shifting it? Historically they blocks tend to last longer than the models initially suggest. Even if the block does dissipate as modelled, us Northern dwellers might still look to blasts from the NW for something of interest. Which is likelier to be snowier than the easterlies currently modelled. 

Back to the here and now, -3.1C around 8am here with a bit of a frost which will probably disappear quickly in the sun. 

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Morning.   Well you would be very hard pushed to spot the difference between yesterday and today;s pics for here!   Temps also similar but dew a bit lower - now sitting at 2.4c/1.5c.

Same culprits in the MT I see who are up and waiting for the first of the 00zs in the morning and putting their own interpretation on the runs which then snowball into doom and gloom by the time everyone else logs on.

Anyway. just had a heavy rain shower here....Oh joy!

static_weathercams.php.jpe

• Like 4