Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

ECM has had me thinking and I now remember what it reminds me of, Jan 2013. So there you go.

@Hairy Celt, divorce is always an option? 

Bloody hope so! 

We have your greyness here now. I only realised as it was getting dark that although I've been outside nearly all day, I'd not bothered looking up. Quite a super duper day really, and that's putting it mildly.  Is there a spare planet where could send all the stupid bad words to?

Oh look the bowdleriser's in full swing as usual.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Strong southerly wind(RH 61%) coming down off the Cairngorms, currently  10c with some blue skies and dust blowing off farm road.Seen worse days last July and if tomorrows temperatures are correct it will be a bit of a shock.

• Like 2

Posted

Nice day. Bit of a chill tomorrow. Nothing exciting or even vaguely interesting forecast. Might manage a frost or 2 in the next few days. Whoopie! 

I'm renaming the winter of 16/17 the 'beige' winter! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

The last few days the NMM Hi-Res has had us down into the cold temperatures through the night - but the weather has refused to play ball, so while the NMM says it should be -1.2C outside - it's really 5 or 6C outside.  I'll see how it does tonight, the Hi-Res NMM has us down for 3.2C by 18:00 and we are still sat at 5.3C so I'm not convinced, -2.5C by 6am.... not looking likely. If the Hi-Res NMM can't even get it right for T+12 then I'm not terribly worried by what any other models are doing.

EDIT: In slightly better news.... I won £0.18 on the MegaMillions though - so it's not all depressingly terrible.

Edited by asjmcguire
Megamillions
  • Like 3

right guys and girls i know ive asked this question in here already this winter but.... its looking like we may have agreed a deal on a house on the outskirts of a village called Ballinluig near Pitlochry anybody with any info on this area from within this thread please let me know if its a good area for kids etc.. we are used to being secluded and cut off so thats no real problem... main question i guess is DOES IT SNOW MUCH??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
14 minutes ago, More Snow said:

right guys and girls i know ive asked this question in here already this winter but.... its looking like we may have agreed a deal on a house on the outskirts of a village called Ballinluig near Pitlochry anybody with any info on this area from within this thread please let me know if its a good area for kids etc.. we are used to being secluded and cut off so thats no real problem... main question i guess is DOES IT SNOW MUCH??

All I can tell you is that there is an awesome cafe there - and one summer when I was sat there looking out of the windows I remarked to my OH that it was an awesome view - but I bet in a few months when the snow comes it's difficult to get to - and several staff members made audible sounds that suggested that they knew all too well how difficult it was to get to in the winter months......

2 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

All I can tell you is that there is an awesome cafe there - and one summer when I was sat there looking out of the windows I remarked to my OH that it was an awesome view - but I bet in a few months when the snow comes it's difficult to get to - and several staff members made audible sounds that suggested that they knew all too well how difficult it was to get to in the winter months......

when i do street view on rightmove the cafe is the area it lands me in so must be near to the house... sounds good to me.. looks like i will be paying the money for the house then.. hoping to move for the 1st week of March so might still get some action this spring... but then i will be counting down to next winter.... thank you for the reply.. very kind..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! A lovely clear day, stonking sunrise, but a helluva cauld wind! Anemometer no longer functioning on weather station and a replacement costs over £75 so I'm thinking I'm as well to get a whole new weather station! I'm off to peruse eBay and Amazon to see what my meagre budget can afford!

• Like 4

Posted

Wonderful morning here too after a very windy night with  clear blue skies,almost no wind  and currently 1.5c with a ground frost. Ground very dry too  with 60% RH so will stand a bit of rain if it does become changeable next week.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Wonderful morning here too after a very windy night with  clear blue skies,almost no wind  and currently 1.5c with a ground frost. Ground very dry too  with 60% RH so will stand a bit of rain if it does become changeable next week.

Can't remember the last time we had any substantial rain here. We need it, if only to clean the roads up a bit as all the cars are getting absolutely filthy.

Cooler morning here after the mild spike, but not cold enough for a frost. Cloudy, a bit breezy and yes, dry.

• Like 2

Posted

Got cold enough for a slight frost in the end here. Turned out a lovely day so far (Not quite got the strong south easterly so doesn't feel so bad out there)

Posted
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

Can't remember the last time we had any substantial rain here. We need it, if only to clean the roads up a bit as all the cars are getting absolutely filthy.

Cooler morning here after the mild spike, but not cold enough for a frost. Cloudy, a bit breezy and yes, dry.

I think I'll stand some more sunny days if the cost is dirty cars... so there, jinxed that one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

^^^ Nothing like that here. seems to be our turn for the murky grey weather. Temp topped out at 4.7C in Dyce so far but with a stiff breeze, if I'd to venture outside I'm sure it would feel a lot colder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Is anyone else picking up very low dew points? -9'C here? 

Posted

Pleasant day around Dundee and NE Fife. Cold start as Leuchars dropped to -4c but mostly sunny skies with a chilly breeze thereafter. I do take issue with the Met Office text forecast for Central, Tayside and Fife today. I wouldn't use 'bitterly cold' to describe a high of 3/4c. I know forecast terms have to be relative to the climate and we have relatively mild winters but to me 'bitterly cold' would be a max temp of 0c or below!

• Like 4

Posted
25 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Is that why it feels so cold?

I understood the opposite was true (higher dew points made the air temperature feel colder - in winter, I hasten to add - clearly higher dew points in warm weather make it feel warmer!). Friends from Canada often complained about the 'damp cold' over here in winter even though air temperatures are usually much higher. I've spent two winters in Canada (mostly Toronto) and would agree that there is some truth in this. Except when it's -20c and windy, then it just feels frigid!

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 2

Posted

Coldest night of the winter locally, -6c at Leuchars currently, -4c Dundee Riverside. Certainly much colder than forecast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Currently 5c here and a stiff breeze as accompaniment! Lovely clear skies, pink in the east just like yesterday. If there hadn't been a wind yesterday it would have been a stonking day. Might take myself out for a stretch of the legs later, well wrapped up though!

• Like 1

Posted

An absolutely baltic.............................. -0.5C - although I had my own private battle with windscreen frost earlier...  first world problems eh?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Minus 3 here and a very cold misty white morning. Mist starting to lift now though. Poor husband on so many heart pills he's always cold and today he's turning blue at the edges and shivering. And that's him sat next to the fire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A hard frost overnight. Currently still sat at the overnight minimum of -5.7C/-8C. 

Good to see a blip of  decent cauld weather after one of the blandest (and driest) winters I can remember. 

I know there's still February and for us kilters,  March to go as well, but it's hard to see anything notable rescuing what has been a very disappointing winter from this cauldie's p.o.v. 

To the weathergods: would really prefer a cauld and snawy February to another cold, wet spring. 

• Like 2