Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

In stark contrast to yesterday's sunshine it's grey and drizzly I'm Glasgow this morning. Heading home soon on the train.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I'll just say thaat it's sunny again here after a frosty start, and now I'll run away and hide....

At least there'll be a bit more happening in a few days rather than endless nothingness for all you guys in the gloom.  I'm starting to understand folk who live in parts of Europe where the weather can often do the same thing for weeks. They get excited over wee scraps of cloud bubbling up in the afternoon...

Posted

Snow you say?

Sorry, I've moved into Warm-Weather Ramp Mode (WWRM) so this current snizzle is a bit of a downer.

Mon the sun.

Posted
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The cut? :) 

The GFS looks stinking at first glance but late in FI the jet takes a trip south as it should at this time of year and we are increasingly left in the cold air to the north of the centre of lows as they pass west to east. Without proper northerly or easterly cold air this is our best chance of getting a dump of snow, so it's not all bad news. 

Yeah that's the Cut @CatchMyDrift some more photos :) IMG_2613.JPGdIMG_2590.JPG

• Like 2

Posted

P1030501_zpsohopon3y.jpg

Back to grey gloom today after seeing the sun yesterday for just about the only day this week! Managed to get out for a walk in the Southern Uplands yesterday afternoon and it was ideal crisp walking weather. Frost lingered in the shade all day - I took this photo in the Dalveen Pass and you can clearly see the parts where the sun failed to reach contrasting with the late afternoon light higher on the hillside.

Edited by spindrift1980
  • Like 3

Posted

We're half way through meteorological winter and add that to autumn, can anyone recall such a similar lack of stormy weather? It's the benign nature of the weather rather than temperature or lack of snow that strikes me as somewhat unprecedented.

• Like 6

Posted

Yes spent two days this weekend clearing loose straw which normally would blow everywhere but with no wind whatsoever it was fine to do. It really has been a prolonged period of benign weather. I am still convinced we will get our winter in spring. Things have definitely changed. we may even get some extreme winter weather this spring just to make up for the last six months. Nature likes to balance things up. Currently overcast and 0.5c

• Like 5

Posted

Which will happen first? The weather does a proper winter job, or Trump leaves the White House? The news is giving me a permanent headache.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Which will happen first? The weather does a proper winter job, or Trump leaves the White House? The news is giving me a permanent headache.

Hopefully winter. To be honest about the only thing worse than a Trump presidency is Trump not seeing out the full term and the vice president Pence stepping into the top job! 

• Like 1

Posted

This is going to sound really weird but can anyone else "smell" seasons.     When I left for work this morning I definitely had that sense of spring.     ( no ,  I havent been drinking !! ) :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Strange phenomenon over my part of Fife this morning................I think it's called blue sky!

static_weathercams.php.jpe

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

This morning: continuation of the snoozefest, but will added sunshine. So, chilly and bright. 1.4C

Models hinting at the block hanging on a while longer. 

Think I may go hibernate for a month. 

Any money this is setting up for another baltic spring. 

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 3

Posted

After being back to the grey and gloom yesterday, it was clear skies and frosty this morning with yesterday's dampness frozen hard on the car. Car showed -3.5c. Thick fog at work in the centre of Greenock.

• Like 2

Posted

Wondering if Steve M is starting to sniff some possibilities for the future?   His appearance in the MT again usually means there is something worth keeping an eye on.   Dunno,  but personally I will be glad to see the back of January - which hasn't delivered for my area in years.  

Gloomy indeed Catch!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Decent day on Saturday, a bit greyer on Sunday and the semi-perma-frost finally disappeared, back to a decent cool, calm sunny day today. All just a little boring, but I suppose it could be worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Sunny and breezy here today, making a walk here today quite challenging! Brisk? I'll say it was! Currently 7.1c but with wind chill feels more like 3c. Expecting a few gusts later on this week, that's 'cos it's been too calm for ower long! :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Not sure what it's like across the rest of the country but here it is quite different from what was forecast. It was meant to stay cloudy with the temperature gradually increasing through this evening but it's been clear for the last 2 or 3 hours and that has allowed the temperature to plummet to 0.3C. In fact, the BBC website still says it should be 4C just now and that that should be the minimum, although it has changed its forecast to clear skies for the next couple of hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

I've pretty much given up on Winter now.  I'm sure there will be some more cold spells on the horizon and probably some snow days - since Late Feb/Early March is when I expect to see snow anyway. 

Posted

"Brutal Siberian freeze cripples UK as maps show WHERE will be hit worst"

...screams the Daily Star. 

I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/581163/uk-weather-february-2017-forecast-winter-maps-temperatures

• Like 1

Posted

You have to ask how/ why outputs can change so much overnight?   I don't think i've ever known a season of so much inconsistency within the model outputs.   Absolutely no faith in them what-so-ever  this year.  (Might just as well believe the Daily Star!:D)

Milder one here this morning:  7.3c.

static_weathercams.php.jpe

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
10 hours ago, GrangemouthBairn said:

Not sure what it's like across the rest of the country but here it is quite different from what was forecast. It was meant to stay cloudy with the temperature gradually increasing through this evening but it's been clear for the last 2 or 3 hours and that has allowed the temperature to plummet to 0.3C.

Did the same here, dropped a couple of degrees below zero through the evening but it was back up to 6.7C when I got up this morning. Ground damp, light winds, sheet of thin high cloud.

5 hours ago, asjmcguire said:

I've pretty much given up on Winter now. 

It's getting increasingly difficult not to. I'm not sure I could stomach another cold Spring if that's what we end up with instead of a Winter. I love snow but there comes a point when you just want some pleasantly warm weather.

1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's probably me hopecasting again but the charts look a bit less pish this morning.

Looked briefly last night and went "meh". Not bothered looking in detail this morning but the GFS ensembles graphs for here are far from inspiring with the average 850s sat around zero after an upcoming milder blip.

graphe3_1001___2.4457_57.2322_.gif

They do sometimes change significantly though.

Posted

@Ravelin - but we know those ensembles are 80II0X, they swing like the sixties when they're in the mood.

So are we moving a step closer to another indyref this morning? Nigel Farage got labelled as a sex toy at breakfast this morning, by Ms HC. My tea went everywhere...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2