Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
16 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

It's approaching the north coast now.

Well if that's it, I thought it would have been bigger!  (as the actress said to the bishop!):D   Seriously I think that should be well fizzled out long before it gets anywhere near here?  http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
8 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Well if that's it, I thought it would have been bigger!  (as the actress said to the bishop!):D   Seriously I think that should be well fizzled out long before it gets anywhere near here?  http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

That's just a the edge of the range of the radar and there will (should?) be a load more to the north out of radar range.

The radar image may give more of a clue http://en.sat24.com/en/eu 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
28 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Thanks Ravelin and doctormog. I'm travelling down to Dumfries and Castle Douglas first thing ( work). So I'm guessing about 4 am ish down here? I'm too lazy to look properly. Hopefully will make it that far west and be enough for a snow day.:pardon:

Nah bro, doesn't look like it will be south enough, will veer east central belt ish.

Have a covering now, just shows 'get the cold in first' etc.

Admittedly it's a good wind direction for me but all the good showers during the day were non-lying snow/sleet.

1 decentish shower at 3pm helped and then just some tiny flurries have all added up to make everything look snowy (even if the depth is below 1cm, even less than 0.5cm)

Lethal out, i almost went flying as tried to open the bin which was frozen solid and feet went when i pulled hard. Managed not to die, thankfully.

Currently -0.1c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
4 minutes ago, doctormog said:

That's just a the edge of the range of the radar and there will (should?) be a load more to the north out of radar range.

The radar image may give more of a clue http://en.sat24.com/en/eu 

Ah, I see.....  Now that looks a bit more interesting.   Thanks Doc!:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Will no doubt still get killed by the hills but looks great on the sat image....always love when the doc appears....will never forget that Saturday afternoon as he drew our attention to a feature in the north Sea that would become 28 hours of continuous snow over on TWO back in 2010

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Looks like we did no bad here last night/today. Withoot gaun ootside wi a tape measure ah would guess a boot 3 inches deep!

Big Innes

IMG_20170112_212512.jpg

IMG_20170112_212503.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I wonder if that front to the north of Scotland will make it all the way down this way...

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Is it just me that thinks the main band is a bit further west than was forecast? Could be good news for areas slightly further west in the central belt as long as the hills don't kill it, which they probably will, although like I said earlier a much smaller band managed to make its way through to here.

Having said that though, after the snow shower earlier, the temperature dropped back to -0.8C, but now its risen again to -0.1C and the wind is increasing. Would be good to get a persistent band of snow with no marginality whatsoever.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
14 minutes ago, GrangemouthBairn said:

Is it just me that thinks the main band is a bit further west than was forecast?

I've been thinking that myself as it was supposed to run down the East coast of the UK. If it doesn't swing to the east a bit it's going to miss Aberdeenshire completely. Be just my luck.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

*deep breath* 

Here it comes! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Been snowing here at -1C for the last 15 mins... which suggests good news as we were forecast to be at 2.5C and sleet by now.  Plenty of time for it to go tits up yet!

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Been snowing here at -1C for the last 15 mins... which suggests good news as we were forecast to be at 2.5C and sleet by now.  Plenty of time for it to go tits up yet!

Same here at -0.8c.Snow  blowing  around in a strong wind which has just got up. Young Mr Northernlights was just saying today that its been a long time since we"ve had to dig out drifts on the farm road with the loader .But as you say may be all melted by morning.

• Like 3

Posted

Yup.  snow here too at a touch above -1'C. 

If this comma feature delivers, it could be very good!

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 1

Posted

Don"t know if it will last but currently strong winds and  blizzard conditons now and small drifts building at    -1c.

• Like 2

Posted

A wee lull at Glencoe as midnight approached, but wind has picked up in last 20 minutes and is whipping the snow up. Radar shows the leading edge of more organised stuff just about here. Couple more pix from earlier: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=1207

IMG_8857.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Aye - I can update from Inverness that it is snowing very heavily with strong winds. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

That huge blob on the radar does not look like it is wholly fizzling out as it leaves the Highlands and there are a few flakes now here in the strengthening wind so you never know.

Better get off to sleep now though as work beckons in the morning unfortunately!

edit. Gave it a few minutes and it is now snowing moderately. Will it last?

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Proper heavy snow here now...looks like may last an hour...starting to break up on radar...amazing made it this far 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Yes heavy blowing snow here now too.  Sod work I it may stay up for a few minutes yet lamppost watching.