Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

It stopped when Ms HC went out to the bin but started again when I went out  snow2.jpg

More snow today than for a fair while here :yahoo:

All kidding aside happy to see you get snow HC. :DNot seen anything like that since 2010 but my day will come. Eventually!

• Like 1

Posted

Actually, looking at radar for foreseeable tonight looks pish for here, showers seem to be sweeping in over N Ireland and in over Central Scotland boo hoo!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
37 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

All kidding aside happy to see you get snow HC. :DNot seen anything like that since 2010 but my day will come. Eventually!

Seems a bit unreal tbh, it's been 4 years since we've had more than the briefest dusting at the house - I keep peeping between the curtains to check it's still there. We're off for a snowy walk shortly in case we get rained on in the wee hours.

• Like 6

Posted

How far south are we reckoning this blob will get before fizzling out? 

Also, whats with the feature running down the country later on tonight? I see it on the BBC maps but no mention of it at all in the forecast. 

Capture.PNG

Posted
5 minutes ago, StewieEatWorld said:

Also, whats with the feature running down the country later on tonight? I see it on the BBC maps but no mention of it at all in the forecast. 

Capture.PNG

From here the Ochils will stop it in its tracks. Crystal clear and everything frozen at present.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
23 minutes ago, StewieEatWorld said:

Capture.PNG

Looks like we're in the firing line. Lamper time! :yahoo:

Temperature is up from -2.4C to -0.4. DP -3C. Cloud is rolling in after a braw clear (full) moonrise earlier on.

Come oan!!!

Edited by Polar Gael
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Somehow this part of Leith managed to catch a talcum powder deep level of snow sometime earlier on (a random shower, if I said it was even 2 millimetres deep I'd be exaggerating). However it has turned the pavements and road surfaces into sheet ice in my local area. As usual not a drop of road grit was deposited despite the forecast.

• Like 3

Posted

Not a huge amount but more than a dusting. A71 seemed to be a nightmare today. Wish I hadn't been working. 

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

That's the snaw on now and the wind is up, too - looks like a good wee shower on the go. 

Posted

And that's the snaw offski. Another frozen dandruff dusting. Looks like the hills to the north-west took the brunt of it and it was fizzling as it reached us. Typical showery northerly - always a bit hit and miss. On the upside, it's still baltic oot! :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
29 minutes ago, doctormog said:

I do worry that the feature tonight may bring rain for quite a few areas it hits rather than snow. If it stays as snow then some areas will likely have an overnight blizzard.

I'm hoping for the latter obviously. Temp out here currently sat at zero but was slightly lower earlier. Probably not make much of a difference though as it's the uppers that will be marginal. I'd rather not wake up to a covering of frozen slush though. 

Still no real sign of the next front on the radar yet. 

Posted
Just now, Ravelin said:

Still no real sign of the next front on the radar yet. 

Any idea what time it's due?

Posted

For my location, Aberdeenshire, Moray etc I thought it was around midnight. Unless it's going to be going at a good lick I'd expect to start to see it appear on the radar to the North fairly soon. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, doctormog said:

At a guess, around midnight up here.

I just checked the hi res models and WRF NMM has it at around midnight, ARPEGE at around 2am. Don't think I'll be staying up to see who's right. 

Posted

Thanks Ravelin and doctormog. I'm travelling down to Dumfries and Castle Douglas first thing ( work). So I'm guessing about 4 am ish down here? I'm too lazy to look properly. Hopefully will make it that far west and be enough for a snow day.:pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

There's a slight dusting on the grass in Central Glasgow, a few heavy showers passed through today but none of them lasted.

Quite a heavy one this morning about 8:30 or so which began to lie quite quickly, had it lasted longer it would have left a fair dump of snow. 

Also quite icy here as well. Not too hopeful we'll see any more snow. Everything coming our way seems to fizzle out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It's approaching the north coast now. My guess is it's going to be a snow to sleet to rain job so if you have snow now, get out and enjoy. We have snow at the water's edge here which doesn't happen bla bla. Temp just crept up from 0C to 0.5C in the last hour.

Edit: I misread that. It's dropped to -0.5C, not gone up. Straw clutching!

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

It's approaching the north coast now. My guess is it's going to be a snow to sleet to rain job so if you have snow now, get out and enjoy. We have snow at the water's edge here which doesn't happen bla bla. Temp just crept up from 0C to 0.5C in the last hour.

It could actually be snow to sleet to rain to sleet to snow for some and just snow for others. Or, knowing my luck a rain to dry scenario here!

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

It was dry & clear with the temperature dropping to -1.3C but it has risen to -0.2C now as a fairly heavy snow shower has got going. Wasn't really expecting any more here. And given that this small band of snow has managed to move southwards over the Highlands into the middle of the central belt here in Grangemouth, does that not suggest that the more organised band overnight could do the same? I've watched many forecasts over the last couple of days and the only two that have mentioned it as a possibility was Christopher Blanchett at tea time yesterday and Sean Batty at tea time today although he said it would just be bits of snow breaking off the main band.

IMG_20170112_210616120.jpg

• Like 5