Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
4 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Off work due to childcare issue so took the wife into work in Kilmarnock. Roads utter chaos. The Firestone Winterhawks didn't miss a beat however. I really rate them as a winter tyre. Current view but there seems to be a break in the showers for here after this one.

image.jpeg

Nice one! We just missed the worst of that trough so only got some light snow from it. Need to let @CatchMyDrift know about snow in Kilmarnock since its so rare...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
6 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Mild  for a few days I was thinking.   After that though, the cold under that high ( if it doesn't change) should last for a bit.

Aye ok. That's a week away though, so the models are still making it up for fun.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Aye ok. That's a week away though, so the models are still making it up for fun.

No change there then!  :D

• Like 1

Posted

Snowing heavily just south of Broughton on A701. We've about 5 inches currently.

• Like 5

Posted

Latest Met Office warning is pretty uninspiring for anything round these parts from tonight's feature:

"Ice is expected to form on untreated surfaces on Thursday night and last into Friday morning. In addition, some outbreaks of sleet and snow are likely to run quickly southwards on Friday morning, chiefly affecting parts of northern and eastern England, clearing the extreme southeast by late morning. This may give local accumulations of one to two cm and add to icy conditions in places".

Euro4 doesn't offer much hope either as it has the feature disappearing off into the North sea long before it would reach here. 

Running out of snow 'potential' from this spell of weather!

Posted

Snow is on at the moment in Leadhills, it's actually quite bright just now at Glencoe but there is a wall of black to the North coming this way!  Had feared the new webcam would have put a curse on the snow at Leadhills, lol! View it at http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/lowtherhill/

leadhills-2017.01.12.11.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Was just looking at that webcam to, Glad they now have one up. No snow  here in the Peak District yet, Some sleet early'r has turned back to rain but temps are steadily falling so fingers crossed. 

Posted
32 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Nice one! We just missed the worst of that trough so only got some light snow from it. Need to let @CatchMyDrift know about snow in Kilmarnock since its so rare...

Normally when we get snow here there is nothing in Kilmarnock. The band seems to have developed a bit to the south of us. Bright and cold here now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
10 minutes ago, Rickoza said:

Big train of snow driving west to east across the south of Scotland, not too far from hear but far enough..........

Intently watching that one! Hoping the Souther Uplands don't kill this one for me... 

Posted

Serious straw clutching now but the Met have extended their warning area for today's showers to include Edinburgh - only just though! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Think there was a couple of snow showers during the night but didn't really lie although it was icy. Then had a snow shower just after 8 which gave a very slight dusting but that was gone by half 10. Another snow shower has just started now but the flakes are very small as they have been for all the showers that I've seen, so they have obviously weakened a lot as they have pushed west. Think this might be the last one of the day too before the wind turns more northerly and I get sheltered from the showers. 

Is there anyone near Clydebank who can tell me what it is like there? I have a a football match there on Saturday on grass and have a feeling it will be off

Posted

Just a tiny bit too warm now for it to settle but it's back on again here too

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

You'd think I was living in a different country looking at all the photos. Still almost cloudless here and virtually calm. Temp up to 2.9C so probably pointless if a shower did make it across this far.

Looking at forecasts for tonight, I'm tempering my expectations hugely. Looks like it'll be just the wrong side of marginal here and I'm more likely to wake up to puddles than a covering of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side
9 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

You'd think I was living in a different country looking at all the photos. Still almost cloudless here and virtually calm. Temp up to 2.9C so probably pointless if a shower did make it across this far.

Looking at forecasts for tonight, I'm tempering my expectations hugely. Looks like it'll be just the wrong side of marginal here and I'm more likely to wake up to puddles than a covering of snow.

It almost always seems to be marginal affairs in recent times but I'm encouraged by the Met office warning update: "A further 2-5 cm of snow is likely away from immediate exposed coasts"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Heavy snow, 1c

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
13 minutes ago, GoldenJackel said:

It almost always seems to be marginal affairs in recent times but I'm encouraged by the Met office warning update: "A further 2-5 cm of snow is likely away from immediate exposed coasts"

The warning texts for later today, and even into Sat, do give more cause for hope than most of the forecasts I've looked at. Fingers crossed.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

The warning texts for later today, and even into Sat, do give more cause for hope than most of the forecasts I've looked at. Fingers crossed.

Damn them and their exposed coasts!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Mrs SS is reporting 3-4 cm of snaw at the house.

And there's naff all here at work, W. Embra.:nonono:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

kids were so excited at a dusting im actually considering throwing the toys out the pram as I cant imagine how excited they would get by enough to get the sledge out...

the feature that appeared on the euros this morning as bang over us at 8pm does not fit with the warnings ceasing at 8pm

then again maybe a good thing given recent non events when warnings are given

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, scottish skier said:

Mrs SS is reporting 3-4 cm of snaw at the house.

And there's naff all here at work, W. Embra.:nonono:

Ah. That'll explain the silence from youngest HC.  He's borrowed my snow-dome and is having a trial run - he's fired it up on Princes St.,  mile radius. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Sporadic snaw showers continued overnight but only a bare dusting stuck. Pepped up at first light and became more prolonged, so we now have a decent covering - but that is all.

Underwhelmed by this first snaw shot of 2017 so far. Cauld right enough, so whatever falls should stick. 0.2C/-2C

Snow - 12.i.2017 - 2.jpg

Snow - 12.i.2017 - 3.jpg

Snow - 12.i.2017 - 4.jpg

Snow 12.i.2017 - 5.jpg

• Like 3