Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
Just now, Cheggers said:

About 4:30 pm today

Thank God!   I thought you had just nipped out and taken it!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Snaw's still trying to settle here, but only a dusting on the grass so far. Wind is up again and showers blawing through fairly regularly. 1.3C/-1C. 

Will await tomorrow morning to see if the 'potential' actually delivers. I remain hopeful. 

Edited by Polar Gael
To end the evening on a note of optimism!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Evening..

best of luck on the snow this next few days

get those cameras at the ready !!

S

Cheers Steve, any predictions for us lot up here for next few days?

20 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

Cheers Steve, any predictions for us lot up here for next few days?

I hadnt looked :(

snow lots of showers- x2 frontal events - thurs overnight & friday overnight

then sadly the cold fading away :( as you get some milder WNW winds...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Sorry, am I reading people in the Borders have snow?!?!?!?!

We don't even have rain - never mind snow - 100% dry as a desert here!!!!

cam2c.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Still tanking down up at Drumochter.   Should be a fair depth up there by morning,

image.aspx.jpe

• Like 3

Posted

Showers are rattling through here in Motherwell.   Only lasting a few minutes and big gaps between.  Will be amazed if it comes t9 anything. 

Edited by Rickoza
Misspell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Hee haw here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Heavy snow now here. Far too wet yet but forecast wasn't for snow for a good few hours yet so that's positive. Hopefully get a covering by dawn, certainly looks like showers are coming in the next 24 hours. Just if they'll lie will be the question 

Edit: 1c, way lower than the expected 3c at this time

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Just looked oot front window and another snaw shower passing thorough, but all too brief. Mr Fox was running around front garden having a ball.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, Ravelin said:

If you were going to bet £20 on the nationality of those rescued it'd have been my choice too, purely down to population numbers, proximity, past experience etc, nothing to do with racism. 

Oh and all 4 were found safe, 2 airlifted off the summit (congrats on doing that in this weather) and 2 found by mountain rescue on the lower slopes. 

I've tried and failed to find any stats on residence of folk rescued by MRTs but I'll accept no slur intended and leave it at that.  I could chase this like a terrier but can't be arsed.  I used to know a guy in the Dundonell MRT who took great delight in rescuing cragfast young women off An Teallach. :diablo: 

Heavy wet snow at sea level on the Black Isle at between 1C and 2C. Other folk in the house getting excited at hearing forecasts of heavy overnight snow in the Highlands until I point out that although administratively we're in Highland, geographically we're littoral, coastal, temperate and banana belt.  I have my eye on tomorrow night's potential snow fiasco / bonanza instead. The place to be tonight is where there's scarcely a soul - most of inland Sutherland. Spect places like Altnaharra will be getting a pasting.

Cats are all hiding, either in beds (yes, in, not on) close to hot water bottles (no shame) or under discarded blankets and pullovers close to the stove. Wimps.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

As expected, the showers are all pretty much dying out before they get this far East so it's windy but dry, excepting the one short flurry I saw earlier. If we wake up to even a dusting I'll be shocked. 

Tomorrow night maybe, when the more organised band is forecast to come in, and come in from the North, a much better direction for here. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Hee hee hee haw!

Actually that's unfair as there's a form of wintry evidence on the car roof.

Posted

Shotts and harthill going ok so far 

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
5 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

That's probably true, Norrona2015, given that England's population is ten times that of Scotland, and I take no insult from your comment - I've seen/heard folks (Germans, Sassenachs, Americans, Albanachs...) trotting off up Cairngorm, wearing shorts and tee-shirts, when temps at the Ptarmigan Centre were at or below zero...Every country has its muppets!:santa-emoji:

The primary driver is that in the Highlands, those from most of England and certainly the areas with the majority of the population have travelled further and thus committed more money and effort to make a trip to the hills than people from any part of Scotland would have. Thus they are more likely to go out when the weather is foul. Of course different mountain activities have different needs and different tolerances of conditions, obviously technical ice climbing (rather than just slogging up a snow filled gully) can't be done on a warm day, but what is merely a need for googles, facemask and another layer for an experienced winter climber, could be overwhelming for a well equipped walking group not accustomed to the physical and mental effort of dealing with such conditions. 

• Like 4

Posted

A few snow/sleet showers have been rolling in from the NW since the afternoon. Too wet to settle but nice to see the first snow of 2017. I can't say I'm overly optimistic about tomorrow with forecasts, charts and warnings fluctuating. This isn't any more than a typical spell of winter weather but it's much better than what we've had since the end of November. As always in set ups like this, the showers are hit or miss and so too are the rewards. NWLys can either be largely sunny and breezy with a few wet snow showers or frequent snow showers merging into longer spells of frequent snow and decent accumulations. My expectations are low for tomorrow but set-ups like this can always conjure up a surprise and deliver the best snowfalls in this part of the nation. The latest euro4 update looks pretty decent for quite a lot of Scotland, especially further north and west, so hopefully tomorrow will be a marked improvement on the winter so far and deliver something to cheer about to us all. It seems to be a trend in recent winters for cold and snow begin just after a third of the way through January. It's going to take a lot to make up for the disappointing first half of the winter, but tomorrow is chance to at least change fortunes and hopefully things will be looking up going into the second half of winter. 

The models have had a horrid time this winter. The amount of charts showing potential of easterlies and northern blocking for only one model (particularly the UKMO and ECM) to be showing a different outcome and to eventually be proven correct. December was pretty sore given the promise of cold and snow which vanished very abruptly and the past week had been pretty lively regarding what follows the blast of winter weather this week. For a long time the GFS has been showing a flatter outcome, whilst the UKMO and especially the ECM (which has delivered a couple of stunning runs) have been more amplified and hinting at a potential for an easterly  - primarily for southern and eastern parts. The last 24hrs have been tops turvy, with the overnight runs, especially UKMO, casting doom over the illusive easterly. This evening thankfully (for the sake of the MT) has seen an improvement and kept alive the chances of an easterly via a Scandi/Scotland high though what's caught my eye is the trend for the core of the PV to transfer east to Siberia, and a couple of runs indicating the possibility of height rises to the NW.

• Like 4

Posted

Quite a nice heavy shower at the back of 4 this morning - dumped about 1cm in Stirling - though disappeared just as quick with the temps being a little mild, not sure if a warm sector passed through right behind the snow showers.

Ken't people up there saying heavy stuff still to come, but I'm not so sure.

Posted

Just woke up to a covering over everything :yahoo:  Have no idea when it started to lie as I gave up lamp post watching early and opened a box of wine instead:oops:

• Like 1