Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 minute ago, Norrona2015 said:

£20 the group is from England.

Knowing Ben Lomond, it could just as easily be a Glaswegian jeans and trainers and bottle of Irn Bru expedition!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
1 minute ago, spindrift1980 said:

Going to the hills in winter conditions CAN be fun if you use your head to choose a suitable time, but there are days where you just need to say that it's not a hill day, and (as you say) it's not as though today's conditions haven't been well forecast and advertised!

Exactly - and if I was in to that sort of thing - I'm pretty sure that seeing Cairngorm had recorded a 125mph gust overnight - would be enough to convince me that today was not the sort of the day to go hill climbing - yes it's not the same hill, but it gives you an idea of the wind speeds much higher up. Maybe common sense isn't free anymore - are they taxing it now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
18 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

Exactly - and if I was in to that sort of thing - I'm pretty sure that seeing Cairngorm had recorded a 125mph gust overnight - would be enough to convince me that today was not the sort of the day to go hill climbing - yes it's not the same hill, but it gives you an idea of the wind speeds much higher up. Maybe common sense isn't free anymore - are they taxing it now?

Thatcher stole it along with free school milk :rofl:

• Like 7

Posted
20 minutes ago, spindrift1980 said:

Knowing Ben Lomond, it could just as easily be a Glaswegian jeans and trainers and bottle of Irn Bru expedition!

I reckon whoever they are they should be billed for Mountain Rescues time, considering the warnings in place.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
2 hours ago, edo said:

Is it lying at all?

No, not yet. Bit more of a wintry mix this afternoon, but hopefully they'll pep up again overnight. Currently 2.3C/-2C. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
26 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Eh?

Most likely, but not always, it's people who have traveled a distance who end up going out in dodgy conditions. The "we're already here so might as well give it a go" crowd. Those who live closer to the hills usually look at the forecast and don't bother cos it's easy to do it some other day. Whomever it was, the more sensible decision this morning would have been "sod it, let's go to the pub".

Personally, on a day like today, and it's probably more benign here than in the West, I'd not even have taken a wander up my local hill. I know that like the back of my hand too and could navigate it in a whiteout no problem, it'd just be no fun.

• Like 6

Posted

Just found this report too - on Sunday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-35280149 

Not only were the walkers completely unprepared for hill climbing - they ignored the concerns of the other members of the party who realised it wasn't going to go well and turned back.

"Lomond Mountain Rescue Team, who were involved in the search, said their footwear was "inadequate" and they had no torches, ice axes or crampons."

"A rescue team spokesman said they were not equipped for tackling a Munro in "full winter conditions". As well as being poorly equipped, the walkers' mobile phones died because the batteries had not been fully charged before they left.
The spokesman added: "It is clear that they did not fully comprehend the dangers of winter walking."

I mean - come on!!!!

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

Just found this report too - on Sunday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-35280149 

Not only were the walkers completely unprepared for hill climbing - they ignored the concerns of the other members of the party who realised it wasn't going to go well and turned back.

"Lomond Mountain Rescue Team, who were involved in the search, said their footwear was "inadequate" and they had no torches, ice axes or crampons."

"A rescue team spokesman said they were not equipped for tackling a Munro in "full winter conditions". As well as being poorly equipped, the walkers' mobile phones died because the batteries had not been fully charged before they left.
The spokesman added: "It is clear that they did not fully comprehend the dangers of winter walking."

I mean - come on!!!!

An all to familiar story I'm afraid. I have a friend that's in mountain rescue and some of the nonsense he's come across is ridiculous.

• Like 3

Posted

Just heard Forth Bridge to stay closed overnight, Kincardine Bridge now closed and Clackky bridge down to one lane, so traffic going to be a mess tonight

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Just heard Forth Bridge to stay closed overnight, Kincardine Bridge now closed and Clackky bridge down to one lane, so traffic going to be a mess tonight

Yeah they said open Thursday *if* repairs can be completed overnight. It's anyone's guess as to how practical it actually will be to do the repairs tonight though......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Back to blustery snaw showers now. Still not settling just yet. 1.8C/-1C

And re the ****trumpets going up the mountains ill-equipped given the weather warnings in place: bill them the mountain rescue costs. 

• Like 5

Posted

What's all this activity then? You'd think there's something going on! I don't think anyone should be writing off their snow chances before the event is properly underway (even I'm not ruling out a surprise snowfall here). It certainly will be cold enough for snow at low levels by early tomorrow morning but as always the lottery is where will the showers hit!

Catch, still keeping an eye on tomorrow night's feature. According to 12z GFS you really want to be West of a line from Edinburgh to Inverness (but not too far west!) to avoid the mild segment. Eastern borders don't look to be affected by the milder air so much as it pulls off into the North Sea as it heads south. I've taken the above from the wet bulb freezing level charts which I always find to be a useful indicator of snow chances at or near to sea level. If the whole thing shifts east a bit it could be game on for many of us....

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

According to 12z GFS you really want to be West of a line from Edinburgh to Inverness (but not too far west!)

How about 8 miles south west LOL

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted

Starting to see tweets from various authorities about snow gates being closed.

A939(N) CLOSED AT SNOWGATE COCK BRIDGE

A939(S) CLOSED AT SNOWGATE AFTER TOMINTOUL

Posted
5 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Woosh.   I don't like casual racism.

I used the word England not English. Just Google it, pretty obvious were the overwhelming majority of those rescue reside. Or speak to anyone that's involved with MR.

Edited by Norrona2015
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
10 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

Starting to see tweets from various authorities about snow gates being closed.

A939(N) CLOSED AT SNOWGATE COCK BRIDGE

A939(S) CLOSED AT SNOWGATE AFTER TOMINTOUL

I presume the person that closed the first bridge would look a right Richard if it comes to nothing ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
11 minutes ago, Norrona2015 said:

I used the word England not English. Just Google it, pretty obvious were the overwhelming majority of those rescue reside. Or speak to anyone that's involved with MR.

Let's not make mountains out of molehills people!

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Northernlights said:

First snow shower 11.45 am currently blue skies and 1.7c

And tonight we have a dusting and its currently 0c

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Power off here until midnight or so while the finish reattaching the cable to pylons etc. Mrs SS mobile upstairs at the windae tae catch the slimmest of occasional signal acting as WiFi hub. Just enough for radar and NW.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

Been off and on snow showers here all day and now have started to become long and heavy, wind is stil strong and blowing the snow about

edited: now lying on the roads

Edited by Michael Kaii
  • Like 2