Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Still in Cornwall so almost certainly going to miss the snow unless it sticks around to the weekend (assuming it comes).

It was quite windy here too yesterday, kids went a bit mental running around on the beach burning off the sugar overload from the trip to their gran's. View from outside her flat below.

Will be watching thread with green eyes tomorrow.

DSC_0144.JPG

• Like 2

Posted

Just reading that the bridge was closed to high sided vehicles when the lorry blew over, and that a man has been charged.

What an idiot - he's lucky there wasn't anything in the other lane when he blew over.

Posted

Wet and wild, and that is just the weather. Wee ones been up most of the night with the noise as it was not a lot of gusting, just constant gales.

Very raw outside and temp seems to be dropping, now at 3C here, and also a wee dusting appeared on the Ochils

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

MOD will be in mourning i would guess given the easterly de-railing and just more of a UK high being the form horse.

So let's enjoy what (if any) snow does come and fall, looks like some meaty showers are forecast but it will be hit and miss and still a bit too marginal to have any real confidence

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Bit breezy overnight and continuing blustery this morning with horizontal sleet showers. Tops of the surrounding hills already back in their winter plumage. 3.4C/1C and feels baltic. 

Latest TOORPing Therapy Centre update: the GFS appears to have gone cold turkey and the ECM & METO are sobering up - all backing away from the 'Beasterly' (sort of). 

"And a black cloud* did appear over all of Fluffyshire and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth before breakfast."

*unfortunately, it was not snow bearing. 

Edited by Polar Gael
GFS doing the (B)easterly hokey-cokey
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Rainfall just turned to snowfall in Kingussie my folks report. Too wet to lie currently but throwing it round in the wind. I told them I was jealous :-P

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
30 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

Just reading that the bridge was closed to high sided vehicles when the lorry blew over, and that a man has been charged.

What an idiot - he's lucky there wasn't anything in the other lane when he blew over.

It should be an automatic revoking of his HGV license, no excuse for stupidity like that. 

Weather...4C and blustery but nothing too severe. Lots of blue sky around but also some menacing clouds. If any of the showers on the weather radar do make it this far East I suspect we'll get a sleety mix at best for the moment. Thursday night still looks like the best bet fore here but I just long for the 'good old days' when you could expect a northerly in Jan to bring snow without all the 'will it won't it be rain/sleet/snow' rubbish.

• Like 4

Posted

Got caught in a lovely cold rain shower. You can't help the weather just waiting for the final ingredient to take place then we can start talking about snow

Posted
46 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

He was travelling northbound and blew onto southbound. Glad he's been charged, absolute imbecile. 

Posted

Well the transition to snow this morn was slower than I expected but it's firmly been snow within the last hour or two. Hopefully a snowy wee period ahead for plenty of us. Fingers crossed the @Hawesy forecast materialises.. Eyes on the temperatures too, maybe we'll see some parts go well in to the below zero-teens come Saturday 

Terrible timing but I'm meant to be going to Glasgow today then back up the A9 tomorrow morn, should be interesting.. it's January though and at least it's finally acting like it!

Currently 0.9c and heavy snow  

• Like 7

Posted

Pretty blustery overnight with the wind whipping around the back of the house. Bin day today so they were everywhere this morning. Sat next a drafty northwest facing office window with the wind is whistling through. Few branches down but nothing of note. Currently blue sky but earlier showers did have some sleet in them and the temp in the car dropped from 5c to 3c in the heaviest shower on the way to work.

Had a lorry from the same company as that on the FRB wedged down a narrow street in our village in November!

Posted

Showers piling through, but just to the North of Dyce so although I can see the big dark clouds I can't really say what mix they contain. Looks like wet snow showers on the Braemar webcam (http://braemarscotland.co.uk/snowgate-webcam/).

• Like 1

Posted

If that comes off for the SE of the UK then my TV and radio might be unplugged for a bit....

17011218_1100.gif

Closer to home and there's 'potential' on the Euro4 for round here starting this evening. We never do great from the west so if anything settles in the next day or so I'll be happy.

17011118_1100.gif 17011200_1100.gif

Friday night still looking good for the NE especially. 

17011300_1100.gif

• Like 3

Posted

Oh, a shower has hit and there's just a hint of sleet in the heavier bursts. Wouldn't like to be out in that, driving cold rain/sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Patience might be required then as showers look like being rain sleet until well into tomorrow here. 

I was thinking i didn't know what you guys were on about last night re the wind as it was completely still at 11pm.

However house is actually rocking at times today! 

5c, dry but a feels like of about 0c, bitterly cold wind

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

Same as me Snowlover.... had warnings for snow for tomorrow and Friday and now have got none for both days but still forecast for heavy snow tonight and tomorrow

Posted

Was a bit surprised that there wasnt warnings out last night for the wind.    It was certainly blowin a hoolie out with us.       Just got very dark all of a sudden with a blast of sleety rain.         Meto keep changing the warnings for the next couple of days.     Likely to be far too close to the sea for any snow with us but those of you lucky to get some over the next few days..   enjoy.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gogoslo said:

Was a bit surprised that there wasnt warnings out last night for the wind.    It was certainly blowin a hoolie out with us.       Just got very dark all of a sudden with a blast of sleety rain.         Meto keep changing the warnings for the next couple of days.     Likely to be far too close to the sea for any snow with us but those of you lucky to get some over the next few days..   enjoy.

There was warnings on Met office, BBC etc but think it should have been orange, at least,  for some areas. 

Edited by Snowlover2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine
1 minute ago, Snowlover2 said:

There was warnings on Met office, BBC etc but think it should have been orange, at least,  for some areas. 

i was also surprised that the wind warning was only a yellow too. it wasnt like a gust of wind it was countine all night here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Yup - I was surprised last night with the strength of the wind - it definitely felt like it should have been higher than a Yellow warning for here! By the time I got to sleep at 6am

Cairngorm had seen a 123mph max gust (it's currently reporting 100mph). Cairnwell was reporting 112mph (currently 98mph).

The drive home update has downgraded the wind and sleet tonight a bit at least, but there is still strong winds and some sleet which will still be horizontal.

Not a fun day to be outside!

Posted

When Streetlights are trying to bend over - I describe it as a bit more than "a bit blowy" - you'd do well to present BBC Weather forecasts with those descriptions.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Nae power at Fort SS while they take away that fallen tree. Landed on the line that goes to the cottages.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Nae power at Fort SS while they take away that fallen tree. Landed on the line that goes to the cottages.

I Don't "like" that you have no power - just acknowledging your post :)

Edited by asjmcguire
  • Like 2