Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

You know there's potential for snow when you turn up!! Have I even spoken to you since I moved to the dark side? :D Long time no see. 

And that's very true mate. The best forecast for snow is if I turn up on the forum, I'm sure here's some science in there somewhere :rofl::rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
28 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

This is always an exciting sight..... but I wouldn't say I love it more than anything else.... I quite like money for example - probably a bit more than blizzards.

This could be a risky thread if i started listing everything I like :D  

Keeping it clean though not just my love of snow but seeing how excited the kids would be is priceless 

My 6 year old came down on Monday morning looking all sad and when I asked her what was wrong she said Xmas is over the holidays are over and we have had no snow......it must be genetic 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Blowing a gale here, 9c and absolutely bucketing it down with rain. Lovely. You wouldnt think a cold snap was lurking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 minutes ago, edo said:

This could be a risky thread if i started listing everything I like :D  

Keeping it clean though not just my love of snow but seeing how excited the kids would be is priceless 

My 6 year old came down on Monday morning looking all sad and when I asked her what was wrong she said Xmas is over the holidays are over and we have had no snow......it must be genetic 

Ok, I'll rise to the bait - first thing I can remember enjoying was the sound of my Dad singing Gaelic songs - he played the recorder wonderfully well too, but his singing voice took me to other places...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
43 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Yeah true, but if you had enough money, wouldn't oneof the things you'd spend it on be holidays in places where you could get real snow-fixes?  I always have to remind myself money is just a means to happiness, not happiness itself...  so just earning lots doesn't mean you're happy, you have to do stuff too   :mellow:

Certainly no point in saving it now - the interest rate is pathetic.....

When I have the money - it's not so much the snow I want to see - I've seen snow.... but a 15 day cruise around the arctic circle to see the Northern Lights would tick some of my boxes :cold:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Getting a bit confusing  for me with the GFS slow to make its mind up.   Think I'll just sit back now and see what turns up.   Wind picking up out,  with quite a few big gusts here.

I can understand that there is some concern on the MOD about a possible storm surge down the North sea.  A long time ago now (1953) but has anyone else read what happend?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-depth/1953-east-coast-flood

Needs watching as again it will clash with high Spring tides:

(Chart courtesy Nouska - MOD.)

nww3-0-60_pqz4.png

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Interesting read @Blitzen

An interesting period of weather coming up...also have to remember the focus down south is very much on the hunt for an easterly.....the GFS was still a fairly cold run....this cold snap which was originally Friday Saturday is now Wed night to probably at least Sunday and plenty indications a lot longer....

Hopefully everyone sees some interesting weather over the next week 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Eh, It's a bit fkn wild oot here noo!

Noisy night ahead me thinks with the wind roaring through the nearby trees.

Hope we a' get some snaw in the coming days!

Big Innes

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
2 minutes ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Eh, It's a bit fkn wild oot here noo!

You're not kidding!   Lights flickering too!

• Like 2

Posted

Well..... this is an interesting temperature increase!

temp_compare.png

Posted

Hmmmm travel home from work looks a bit hairy -

Horizontal Sleet!!!!!!

Netweather Extra.png

• Like 1

Posted

Drive from Stirling to Glasgow was a bit hairy - couple of times nearly got blown into a truck or the central reservation.

That said however, I'm looking forward to seeing the "weather bomb", and also the "THUNDERSNOW" armageddon that's coming today and tomorrow.  Flaming newspapers making this out to be a Day After Tomorrow storm.

• Like 4

Posted

Wind woke me up through the night, it was howling. Quieter now.

An interesting 4 days coming up. Catch previously mentioned the little feature running south tomorrow (Thursday night). This will be a tightrope as milder air is pushed into Aberdeenshire down to Fife and East Lothian on the latest GFS run, with areas to the West staying in the cold air. Could be a good little snow event for some and a rain/sleet disappointment for others. One to watch as a slight change in the track will make all the difference, which is why the Met Office forecasts are referring to 'rain, sleet and snow' spreading from the north. 

Plenty of cold air before and after that feature mind you, but for those that miss the showers it's another shot at snow.

• Like 2

Posted

If wind severity was classified using the noise round my house we'd be off the scale!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted

I see the BBC weather pages are forecasting heavy snow through tonight and tomorrow - will be interesting to see how it pans out - Stirling needs a westerly to see decent snow, anything coming from a more northerly direction gets swallowed up by the hills.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Very blustery during the night but a bit calmer now. We had horizontal sleet too and I expect more of the same over the next few days. Not building my hopes up for anything more than sleet here, snow rarely lies up here, it'll probably get blown away anyway!

• Like 1

Posted

Sleet showers here after quite a windy night.  Can't grumble at the forecast...

Regional forecast

Strathclyde

Headline:

Squally wintry showers, snow to low levels later.

Today:

Frequent blustery showers with sleet and hail, perhaps thunder towards the coast. Showers turning to snow over the higher ground, but to low levels in the afternoon. Very strong winds especially near showers. Maximum Temperature 4C.

Tonight:

Frequent snow showers through the evening and night coupled with strong or gale force winds. Snow lying even at low levels with drifting, making for some travel difficulties. Minimum Temperature 1C.

Thursday:

Further wintry showers with snow to low levels and some drifting possible in the strong westerly winds. Showers dying out later in the day. Maximum Temperature 3C.

Updated: 02:35 on Wed 11 Jan 2017 GMT

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
24 minutes ago, 101_North said:

If wind severity was classified using the noise round my house we'd be off the scale!

This probably made a bit of noise as it went over - hope none of you need to cross the Forth Road bridge imminently. 

Have a lot of driving tomorrow and must be the only nw member not praying for the southern snow. Hence hiding in here to vicariously enjoy yours :)

IMG_0229.JPG

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, Soaring Hawk said:

This probably made a bit of noise as it went over - hope none of you need to cross the Forth Road bridge imminently. 

Have a lot of driving tomorrow and must be the only nw member not praying for the southern snow. Hence hiding in here to vicariously enjoy yours :)

IMG_0229.JPG

See the gap between the carriageways ?

That's straight down into the Forth.

The truck driver has had a lucky escape - probably needing a new pair of pants I should imagine.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

#snawbag victim

IMG_20170111_083733.jpg

EDIT ok, Bridge lorry more dramatic

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 7

Posted

Stormy morning gusty wind squally showers and currently 3.2c.Looking out at cows and they are all sitting on straw not queued up at gate ready to go to turnips as normal ."think we"ll give a miss its horrible out there" they are real characters!!

• Like 6