Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I think Ayrshire and north of Glasgow are the places to be.

I might be struggling as too far east but i live in hope more than expectation. 

Would be great if the West and North did well and then something like the ECM verified with the East being hit most aggressively by the easterly. We can but dream...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Some quite prolonged heavy rain here. Been like this for about 20 minutes now and doesn't seem to be any end to it. Glad I don't need to go out again tonight!

Posted

Looks like there's been 2-3 inches of snow for Glencoe and Nevis since dusk. Showers piling in, some absolute downpours here in Inverness and a couple of lively wee storms have come across Loch Linnhe - lighting up the Loch as seen from Fort William. 

mid-2017.01.09.20.jpeg

There was some chatter about having a Scottish meet-up? Well if you want to increase your snow chances, there's plenty availability in the hobbit houses at Glencoe's base at 1200ft on Rannoch Moor on Wednesday and Thursday night! Few beers and take in a blizzard! I'll be there Wed and Thursday! :cold:

Hopefully they'll look like this by Wednesday:

hobbitsnow.jpg

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
51 minutes ago, skifreak said:

Looks like there's been 2-3 inches of snow for Glencoe and Nevis since dusk. Showers piling in, some absolute downpours here in Inverness and a couple of lively wee storms have come across Loch Linnhe - lighting up the Loch as seen from Fort William. 

mid-2017.01.09.20.jpeg

There was some chatter about having a Scottish meet-up? Well if you want to increase your snow chances, there's plenty availability in the hobbit houses at Glencoe's base at 1200ft on Rannoch Moor on Wednesday and Thursday night! Few beers and take in a blizzard! I'll be there Wed and Thursday! :cold:

Hopefully they'll look like this by Wednesday:

hobbitsnow.jpg

If I didn't have to be at work :wallbash: I'd be there...

Posted

What an utter pish evening, driving rain and has been at 4C for the lats 8 hours or so. Looking forward to possible colder conditions, but the BBC bigging up the snaw, so nae danger it's happening then.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

It looks to me still like it's going to be quite a potent shot of cold air and I weirdly and against all recent evidence fancy this to deliver quite beefy showers more widespread than anticipated...especially if more of a western element.... this is t84 to t104

No idea why I'm so positive...probably because I'm rubbish at interpreting the charts 

Ukd0VNM.gif

• Like 4

Posted

And I know these charts are useless but can't resist...it's not snowmageddon but I'm sure people be happy with 2cm that allows the kids to break out the sledges 

126-780UK.gif

Edited by edo
  • Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, edo said:

And I know these charts are useless but can't resist...it's not snowmageddon but I'm sure people be happy with 2cm that allows the kids to break out the sledges 

126-780UK.gif

I'm personally delighted with the yellow patch of nothingness on my doorstep :D

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Any intel on the state of the MT tonite? :ninja:

I did dip my toe in there and it appeared to be reasonably civil, which is not hard after the last few nights,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 minute ago, Cheggers said:

I did dip my toe in there and it appeared to be reasonably civil, which is not hard after the last few nights,

I shall put my gumshield in :aggressive: and venture forth then.  I noticed the Auntie forecast went for cold rather than snow so it looks like you really did :diablo:jinx it

• Like 1

Posted

All sweetness and light in the MT....huge runs tomorrow am lol

@101_North I'm not trolling you....honest :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

Sat into Sun looks like it could be particularly perishing.

Not so much worried about the (non) snow event, but I really would like to see some crisp, frosty mornings again.

Posted

I am fully on board with those thoughts @CatchMyDrift and all I ask for is 2cm so come on to fck snow gods 

Posted
8 hours ago, edo said:

@101_North I'm not trolling you....honest :rofl:

I don't believe you but in light of my imminent 'Toys Out' moment it's probably fair if you do LOL

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

The model thread is in rapture this morning, not only due to a bit more backtracking from the GFS, but also a cracker of an ECM run that would keep the majority of the UK cold right into next weekend. If and where it will snow is, as always, largely in the lap of the gods. 

6.1C here this morning and damp looking. Today should be the last relatively pleasant day before the cool down begins, the winds pick up and the search for a snowflake begins in earnest. 

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

This morning's UKMO and GFS are trying to join in with the dreaming I think? All the models are now trying to build heights to Scandinavia for some type of easterly. Looks like the GFS and I might have been wrong after all. Damn charts like to see me eating humble pie :rofl: 

As for snow off this NWly blast, I think a dusting could be widespread but big totals will be reserved for the north-west UNLESS there's a trough or occlusion in the flow in which case somewhere more central could benefit. The air is proper cold air, 500 temps are below -40C at one point which will promote instability and is polar low territory (someone had to say it :rofl: ).

A very early start for you today haha

Well updated met office forecast is v good for loads of us so we live in hope. Fingers crossed

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Stuff it, I'm finished work at 1pm today after an early start so I'm going home to get my ramp out this afternoon. It's going to snow everywhere, best NWly blast in living memory ;) 

Then it will have to go some catch, 1984 was off a north westerly for most of January!:D

Rrea00119840112.gif

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
1 hour ago, GraemeB said:

This is next Tues & Wed 00Z

Something doesn't look right to me..?

ecmt850.168.png ecmt850.192.png

I assume you are the man that frequently sends in pics to the BBC ? Great pics and you're often chosen for the day :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Stuff it, I'm finished work at 1pm today after an early start so I'm going home to get my ramp out this afternoon. It's going to snow everywhere, best NWly blast in living memory ;) 

.....Making popcorn and getting ready to watch!

Posted
6 minutes ago, mardatha said:

.....Making popcorn and getting ready to watch!

I'm going for something more 'industrial'....

....The wife'll go nuts when she sees all the cushions nail gunned to the wall but I don't fancy a concussion by Friday  :wallbash:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Some fairly heavy rain here yesterday and feeling quite miserably in the gusty wind at between 3 - 5'C. Tomorrow looks potentially interesting!