Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Second day in a row here with foggy/misty conditions all day with visibility between 50 - 100 meters, little or no breeze and temps @ about 8 Deg C!

Hopping that we all see some of the white stuff later in the coming week and through next weekend?

Would be good if Big Grampies Innes can get oot in the Snaw with the wee grandson!

Big needin a Snaw Fix Innes

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

MODEL THREAD FOR NEXT 24 HOURS

556px-Mauritius_Road_Signs_-_Warning_Sig

You've been warned. Proceed with caution. 

• Like 6

Posted
15 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Just 24? 

On a rolling basis - currently at 87600 and counting. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

The Model Thread warning has me confused.....

Does this mean the Model Thread is going to be more suicidal / aggressive than usual - or is this just a warning for people who might not have ventured in there before?

It's a bit like the red button - I am kinda tempted to pop in to the thread now.... even though I know how it will end.

:bomb::wallbash::nea:

Edited by asjmcguire
Apparently I can't grasp the concept of the proper usage of the word "there"

Posted
19 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

The Model Thread warning has me confused.....

Does this mean the Model Thread is going to be more suicidal / aggressive than usual - or is this just a warning for people who might not have ventured in there before?

It's a bit like the red button - I am kinda tempted to pop in to the thread now.... even though I know how it will end.

:bomb::wallbash::nea:

There was quite a critical ECM run coming out this evening - currently a bit of a stand off between the UKMO + ECMWF vs GFS. The good news is that the ECM doesn't flatten the ridging in the way the GFS does and is closer to the UKMO, meaning the colder might well survive a couple days longer at the very least. ECM1-120.GIF?08-0

Still a few more runs required and as is always the case with single deterministic runs from any given model, caution is required until there's some degree of consensus between both the models and their respective ensembles, as well as between the models themselves! 

The model thread is safe(ish) again, for now!

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

caution is required until there's some degree of consensus between both the models and their respective ensembles, as well as between the models themselves! 

I'm not sure this has actually happened yet - all winter. Sure there might be agreement in the very short term - but there always seems to be one model or one run that ends up bringing in the cold that the rest don't agree with and then the next run it drops it and one of the other models that didn't go for a cold evolution previously decides it will have a go after all.

This might actually be the worst year the moderators have ever had to deal with in that thread - at least last year we knew all hope was lost early on....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Hi all.

We're down in Cornwall at the moment (St Ives where I grew up). It's sooooooo mild down here kids were in t-shirts only when running around on the beach.

The youngest keeps asking me which country we're in.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
6 hours ago, asjmcguire said:

I'm not sure this has actually happened yet - all winter. Sure there might be agreement in the very short term - but there always seems to be one model or one run that ends up bringing in the cold that the rest don't agree with and then the next run it drops it and one of the other models that didn't go for a cold evolution previously decides it will have a go after all.

This might actually be the worst year the moderators have ever had to deal with in that thread - at least last year we knew all hope was lost early on....

Oh my you ain't seen nothing yet....this is tame...... the vanishing easterly that led to "that ECM" saw epic levels of toy throwing....

Few windups tonight trolling, and a few who think reverse psychology on an Internet weather forum is a thing that can actually work. Apart from that some great posts....everything crossed GFS fully shifts to a UKmo ECM scenario and everyone can chill.........literally

Edited by edo
  • Like 3

Posted

^ I think it's sticking to it's guns.

Cold certainly, but not much in the way of the white stuff (IMBY possibly ;) )

Posted

RAMP! Upgrade for Strathclyde on the meto text forecasts, first warnings surely inbound this morning...

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Turning much colder. Very windy with frequent wintry showers, significant snowfall in many places and drifting over higher ground, blizzard conditions possible

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

An incredibly mild 10C here at the moment, looking forward to the colder stuff later in the week. 

@CatchMyDrift I've only managed a quick scan through the models and purely going from memory, if the UKMO has backtracked then I'd also say the GFS has continued its slow move towards the euros too. ECM continues to look the best of the lot to me. I'll have a better look later if I can, and no doubt brave the model thread. 

• Like 1

Posted

The ECM looks like it's sticking to guns and the GFS 00z is a mild outlier so not all lost yet for prolonging the snap but certainly a bit less likely than last night

Hmmmmm deep ECM FI not so good as previous....may stay put the MT till late tonight...first day back at work will be challenging enough 

Edited by edo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! A wee bit breezy up here this morning, really looking forward to some horizontal rain over the next few days and then things really get going with horizontal sleet and temps plunging as far as 2c! Aye! A proper Skye winter.......Not!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Am having tea and hysterics over the headlines... KILLER STORM and POLAR BLAST again. A whole 4 inches of snow. My god we'll need snow shovels to dig ourselves oot of that eh. And now you're telling me it's just in the west. I give up :angry::angry: Think I'll go and pick on the husband to cheer meself up.

Edited by mardatha
canny type
  • Like 8

Posted
Just now, mardatha said:

Am having tea and hysterics over the headlines... KILLER STORM and POLAR BLAST again. A whole 4 inches of snow. My god we'll need snow shovels to dig ourselves oot fo that eh. And now you're telling me it's just in the west. I give up :angry::angry: Think I'll go and pick on the husband to cheer meself up.

It's bad enough when the express propagates / creates it - but last night - The Scotsman joined in!! Claiming the Met Office say - and writing copious amounts of stuff from "Marco Petagna" who I have never heard of up to this point - unfortunately the Met Office have yet to respond if this is a real person working for them.

Posted

Great to see that it might be cooling down in a day or 2. Although a W/NW isn't great for here in terms of snow it does certainly offer potential. All depends on the exact track of the showers and if they don't die out before they get here. Had several inches from this type of setup before, had a slight dusting on other occasions and sometimes hee-haw. Boxing Day was a similar setup if I'm not too mistaken and we had some heavy snow showers and lying snow within a 5 minutes drive of the house. Fingers crossed! Nice to have the 'potential' in the charts at least - better than the awful pish I had to endure on the way to work earlier! 

Posted

Warnings out for Wed night now. 2-5cm anywhere in western parts with 20cm over hills. Looking forward to it! Central Glasgow included over rush hour on Thursday morning... 

• Like 2

Posted

Lamp post watching time coming up me thinks. Reminds me a little of watching a brand new Midsomer Murders a couple of years ago when a raging blizzard started outside. Needless to say Midsomer didn't matter ;)

Edited by NUT
  • Like 2

Posted

The Meto have also just updated the warnings to cover the North east of Scotland as well.       Not too sure if the snow will come this far east or indeed it will be cold enough but we can all but hope.     

Posted

Yes, sudden dark skies and a sleety shower in East Kilbride just now.

My home address is just outside the Met Office's warning area, but given the tendency of showers not to stay within strict boundary lines, I would hope that I'm still in with a chance of seeing something later this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
35 minutes ago, Snowlover2 said:

All of Scotland covered now. 

IMG_1039.PNG

Gosh that was quick! Still can't see coastal snow settling - high dewpoints will be our enemy as usual.. (Kelty should be ok for settling snow though, would have thought, if you get any ppn at all - at 100m, you count as montane compared to my beach BBQ hut.)

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

Snapshot of some dew points from GFS Wed to Fri...

Not too bad HC if everything else is ok and assuming there not modified up 

Screenshot_20170109-123815.png

Screenshot_20170109-123857.png

Screenshot_20170109-124157.png