Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

18z still lpoks pretty cold - mostly - even if not snowy after an initial chanvcw ar sgowers. Apologies - battliinf with an fcke d keyboar agin tonight as wel as the usual sx

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
23 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

18z still lpoks pretty cold - mostly - even if not snowy after an initial chanvcw ar sgowers. Apologies - battliinf with an fcke d keyboar agin tonight as wel as the usual sx

I managed to figure out everything but "sx" - is it..... um..... is it..... sex?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

are yours also sticky resulting in double posting :rofl:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I'd take the GFS 0z control run (blue line), it stays cold but the operational run goes warmer. A fair bit of scatter after the 3rd though. 

graphe3_1000___2.4457_57.2322_.gif

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Gales all night lost power about 11.30pm last night but its back on now currently still windy and 12.5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Wet and windy here again. Looking for some clear skies and calm days. Could I be lucky and pick them up in the sales somewhere?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Gales all night lost power about 11.30pm last night but its back on now currently still windy and 12.5c.

Blimey I thought it was ridiculous down here at 10.7c but your 12.5c is positively tropical!   It is so very dark here this morning as well.   Hard to believe that we are chasing some serious cold.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The ECM has been to Easterlies r Us for a spot of shopping, look what it found for the January sales. Easiest transition to an easterly you'll ever see, BOOM!!!

IMG_1606.GIFIMG_1607.GIF

I really hope the models verify for colder conditions, currently sat with the windows and doors open enjoying a nice southerly breeze. 12c

• Like 3

Posted
15 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Are you not thinking of 1981/2 rather than 82/3? I remember the December 95 spell well, living in Glasgow at the time. The all-time low record temperature was set at Glasgow Airport (-19.7c). Clyde was frozen over in the centre of town. Unfortunately so were many people's pipes, including my own. Having no central heating was not much fun!

Unsurprisingly the GFS 12z isn't quite as epic as the 6z but still a cold and wintry run.

Yes your correct it as 81/82 I was an apprentice at the time I arrived into work at 5.45am to be confronted by a time officer who took weather measurements every 4 hours and he just couldn't believe what his outside thermometer was telling him.

I was working with two 60 plus year olds that morning and we had to walk down through a depression carved out of rock where we remain convinced it was even colder, some of the frost damage had to be seen to be believed.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Meteogroup did send warnings for wind for my area last night which proved correct. I double checked the Met office site to see if they had similar warnings......nothing.

Posted

Latest sunrise was on December 28th so we should start to see the mornings get a little lighter (eventually)! Only 9c here so not as balmy as some, I see it's 13c at Kinloss and Lossiemouth.

Plenty of interest in the model runs again, as Catch says ECM throws up an easterly by the end of the run. Can't say I'm normally a fan of easterlies as they are more often damp and gloomy than wintry here on the immediate east coast but a slackish flow with cold enough uppers (-9c or below) would do the trick! GFS offers a second, longer lasting, northerly incursion starting in around a week's time - which I imagine would be a treat for those north of a line from Oban to Montrose....going to be an interesting few days!

• Like 1

Posted

I see Joe B still on board with his projected cold train arrival?   (He forgot to tell the UKMO though!)

Joe Bastardi ‏@BigJoeBastardi 5h5 hours ago

3-4 weeks of harsh winter weather for western Europe and UK look to get 2017 off to a cold start

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!
3 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I see Joe B still on board with his projected cold train arrival?   (He forgot to tell the UKMO though!)

Joe Bastardi ‏@BigJoeBastardi 5h5 hours ago

3-4 weeks of harsh winter weather for western Europe and UK look to get 2017 off to a cold start

Meto models has had to be tweaked.. according to Fergie weather..I would imagine tweaking can range from a minor time adjustment to something much bigger. 

Posted

Joe b did identify this last week and so far has been correct as to  the way Europe appears to be heading.   However, not so sure that it will include the UK?  as we all know through experience......   IF IT CAN GO WRONG IT USUALLY DOES!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Heavily overcast, damp and breezy here, like most places by the sound of it. Must go and check the grass is still growing. 

Edit... On second thoughts, I have some windows to paint - then I can watch it dry... :lazy:

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted

The potential cold weather thats being touted for our shores is now being picked up by the Met:

UK Outlook for Saturday 14 Jan 2017 to Saturday 28 Jan 2017:

Latest suggestions favour a continuation of a very 'blocked' pattern, with drier and colder than normal conditions across the UK, and an increasing risk of fog and frost. However, we are likely to see brief, milder and wetter conditions at times. Generally, temperatures are expected to be below the average. There is a low risk of very cold conditions developing should the 'blocked' pattern persist, allowing a colder easterly flow to become established, with associated threat of snow in places.

Updated at: 1302 on Fri 30 Dec 2016

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Quite a Balmy feel. 11c, no wind and fairly humid. 

I prefer this weather to 3c and heavy rain.

Hopefully UKMO comes on board today or tomorrow morning and we will then have a very good chance of getting some decent cold in.

Would love some snow that actually sticks about. MOD is certainly interesting viewing atm and has reminded me of why i've tuned in every winter since discovering the forum at the end of November 2010 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
1 hour ago, Norrona2015 said:

The potential cold weather thats being touted for our shores is now being picked up by the Met:

UK Outlook for Saturday 14 Jan 2017 to Saturday 28 Jan 2017:

Latest suggestions favour a continuation of a very 'blocked' pattern, with drier and colder than normal conditions across the UK, and an increasing risk of fog and frost. However, we are likely to see brief, milder and wetter conditions at times. Generally, temperatures are expected to be below the average. There is a low risk of very cold conditions developing should the 'blocked' pattern persist, allowing a colder easterly flow to become established, with associated threat of snow in places.

I liked this bit too:

UK Outlook for Wednesday 4 Jan 2017 to Friday 13 Jan 2017:

Wednesday will be mostly cloudy across the UK, with patchy light rain and drizzle at times, mainly over hills and coasts in the north and west, whilst mostly dry elsewhere. Rain will be moving south-eastwards on Thursday, introducing brighter and colder conditions, with some wintry showers across the far north, these extending southwards. A colder north to north-easterly is likely to become established from Friday onwards, with frequent wintry showers across northern and eastern parts of the UK, particularly down the North Sea coasts. However, there will be a good deal of dry and sunny weather elsewhere. Some cold and clear nights, with widespread frost and the risk of icy patches. Some cloudier, milder interludes are possible at times, particularly in the west. Temperatures generally below the average throughout.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Im thinking of heading up to Fort William & Strontian end of next week or into the following, Perfect timing! :)

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
28 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

I liked this bit too:

UK Outlook for Wednesday 4 Jan 2017 to Friday 13 Jan 2017:

Wednesday will be mostly cloudy across the UK, with patchy light rain and drizzle at times, mainly over hills and coasts in the north and west, whilst mostly dry elsewhere. Rain will be moving south-eastwards on Thursday, introducing brighter and colder conditions, with some wintry showers across the far north, these extending southwards. A colder north to north-easterly is likely to become established from Friday onwards, with frequent wintry showers across northern and eastern parts of the UK, particularly down the North Sea coasts. However, there will be a good deal of dry and sunny weather elsewhere. Some cold and clear nights, with widespread frost and the risk of icy patches. Some cloudier, milder interludes are possible at times, particularly in the west. Temperatures generally below the average throughout.

Perhaps the starter ahead of the main course later on? Sadly I'll miss this time frame as I leave for Switzerland or Austria (TBC) on the 7th for a fortnights snowboarding. If the models verify it looks like the Alpine resorts in the north will be very cold. Last January I was boarding around Nendaz where the temperature, with windchill, fell to a frigid -36c. I managed to board (just) for the entire day but it took ages to warm up back at the apartment. Not sure I could tolerate temperatures any lower.

Looking forward to reading, hopefully, reports of a proper Scottish winter on this thread while I'm away!

Edited by Norrona2015
  • Like 1