Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Yes the end of the run is certainly eye watering - not a chance that it will come off - not when it's forecasting -16.....

Netweather Extra.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Hmm week commencing 7 Jan will almost certainly bring snow as we'll be driving down to Cornwall for a funeral and to see aging mother. If there are more than 5 flakes in Cornwall whole County will grind to a halt :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowidea said:

Hmm week commencing 7 Jan will almost certainly bring snow as we'll be driving down to Cornwall for a funeral and to see aging mother. If there are more than 5 flakes in Cornwall whole County will grind to a halt :cold:

I still remember the panic when London got snow and the busses stopped and the tube stopped and everyone was wondering how they were going to get home - and the news was covering the whole thing live and we were sat going..... but...... but...... you can still see the white lines on the road through the sprinkling of snow...... I mean seriously you would of thought Aliens had just invaded or something the way they carried on!

Edited by asjmcguire
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm at work and I only saw up to about +192hrs. Now I've seen the rest of it...that run will be known as "THAT GFS". Someone broke the machine:

IMG_1598.PNG

Strangest of strange looking charts. We're all going to die under 20 feet of snow.

Post any more charts like that Catch and we will be having words....:rofl:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

The GFS 6hz is a masterpiece. One of, if not the, most extreme runs I've ever seen for Scotland. 

ukmintemp.pngukmintemp.pngukmintemp.pnguksnowdepth.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
9 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

So it's not "That GFS" it's simply to be known as "Masterpiece"? Love it :) 

Many of the greatest works of art, at least in the musical world, come in three movements. Question is, was the 6hz the first movement...

And if so, will we eventually get the 3rd?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Or will it be a whole load of something else movement can mean? Biggest letdown in the whole history of ever since the last one a year ago? :) 

We'll see... That mega low pressure just doesn't make it against the continental cold - it looks to just fizzle out. Crazy.  Anyway here comes the 12z so lets watch as all our dreams are dashed :oops:  Wonderful sunrise here this morning, and pretty colourful again now.

Posted

I have to say I was absolutely astonished at what the GFS 6Z showed this morning. Easily the best run I've seen for cold and snow. Before the run came out, I was confident of a better January for cold and snow with a northerly to start the New year and possible reloads although opportunities of snow looking intermittent with established blocking looking unlikely with areas of high pressure closer to the Uk. 

The incredible run this morning as you'd expect was an outlier but I think most of us would take an outcome which was half as good as the GFS 6z op. It will be interesting to see what the models churn out this evening though a repeat of earlier is unlikely, especially given ten inconsistency recently beyond 6/7 days. At least things are looking up in the New Year (although we couldn't have been much worse in December) with the promise of at least some more seasonal weather and hopefully we'll be rewarded with at least a decent spell of snow or cold.

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, West Highland Storm said:

82/83 and 95/96 winters we had minus 21 temps here in the West Highlands walking in it was like having wee pins jabbing your cheeks.

Yeah so.... I don't want to be a party pooper.... but...... no thanks...... -10 is my limit!

Posted

Just for some balance to the model thread here is the first crocus about to flower. PC290260.JPG

A few pointers from nature sheep going daft today ,cattle clearing troughs very quickly ,bird feeder being emptied twice as fast as a week ago and flocks of thousands of wild pigeons starting to appear.

Also after my comments about the lack of council snowploughs local  contractor(2 miles away) has just had delivered a large V shaped plough  for his JCB Fastrac.May be on loan from Council? Get ready its coming!!!!!

Currently very windy overcast and 8c

• Like 8

Posted
27 minutes ago, West Highland Storm said:

82/83 and 95/96 winters we had minus 21 temps here in the West Highlands walking in it was like having wee pins jabbing your cheeks.

Are you not thinking of 1981/2 rather than 82/3? I remember the December 95 spell well, living in Glasgow at the time. The all-time low record temperature was set at Glasgow Airport (-19.7c). Clyde was frozen over in the centre of town. Unfortunately so were many people's pipes, including my own. Having no central heating was not much fun!

Unsurprisingly the GFS 12z isn't quite as epic as the 6z but still a cold and wintry run.

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-38458586

Confirming what every sane driver has recognised about the A9 cameras. The question remains, why does it take such expensive and heavy-handed monitoring to get people to drive within speed limits when it's blatantly obvious that excessive speed is dangerous....

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Bonjour des Alpes françaises. 

After 2 days of skiing I'm done in, only 4 more to 'struggle through'. Snow line in Serre Chevalier is pretty high but once in it the snow is fairly extensive and decent. Snow cannons help massively of course. 

So, I chose earlier this afternoon to do a quick check of the GEFS ensembles for back home and nearly choked on my French beer when I saw the 850s hitting -15. Come on the GFS 6z!

To be brutal, I've a family event that weekend in the central belt that I'd love a good excuse not to have to travel to. A major blizzard would fit the required 'sorry but it's just not safe' category.  

• Like 7

Posted
16 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

To be brutal, I've a family event that weekend in the central belt that I'd love a good excuse not to have to travel to. A major blizzard would fit the required 'sorry but it's just not safe' category.  

Fingers crossed for Blizzard, Earthquake, Tidal Wave or Nuclear Explosion.....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

In my adult lifetime severe low temps have been roughly an every 7 year event in this part of the country. 95/96 was the obvious one, then I'm sure there was a brief severe cold spell at the end of 2002 (I think), then there was 2009 followed up by 2010 which broke the pattern in that it occurred two winters running. So, it'd probably make sense for another one to pop up in the next couple of weeks.

Until these charts are in a reliably timeframe, then I wont hold my breath. Although a lot of weather apps do show a general cool down in about 10 days time so they might be hinting at something interesting. At least I'd like to think we'll have something more in line with expectations for the time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
1 minute ago, asjmcguire said:

Fingers crossed for Blizzard, Earthquake, Tidal Wave or Nuclear Explosion.....

Donald Trump gets inaugurated soon, so don't joke about the latter.

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Donald Trump gets inaugurated soon, so don't joke about the latter.

I'm banking on him being stupid enough to get nominated for the Darwin awards.... I'll even stop playing the lottery if it will increase the odds.... The only possible reason for such a ridiculously large number of good celebrities being taken in 2016 has to be so one very very bad one can be taken without tipping the balance.....

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Hang on...!!!

Context.... these are the list of suitable reasons to not attend a family event.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-38458586

Confirming what every sane driver has recognised about the A9 cameras. The question remains, why does it take such expensive and heavy-handed monitoring to get people to drive within speed limits when it's blatantly obvious that excessive speed is dangerous....

this is great news, I used to hate driving the A9 but now find a drive to aviemore quite relaxing...cruise control to 60 and the traffic pretty much flows the whole way at that and my nerves no longer shredded like they used to be and I'm not a nervous driver just hate that road....I do think on motorways the speed limit could potentially be 80 

• Like 5

Posted

MT remains steady....well for majority although some very contradicting views....gfs12z was certainly still snowy for Scotland and ECM still offering cold without the kaboom charts until deep FI 

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, edo said:

this is great news, I used to hate driving the A9 but now find a drive to aviemore quite relaxing...cruise control to 60 and the traffic pretty much flows the whole way at that and my nerves no longer shredded like they used to be and I'm not a nervous driver just hate that road....I do think on motorways the speed limit could potentially be 80 

Would agree entirely except I think urban motorways are ok at 70 with all the extra traffic, junctions, etc.  Other m'ways could go faster - it fascinates me to see that safety records on unlimited autobahns are as good as in the UK...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Evening Peeps! Been incredibly mild over last few days, currently sitting at 12.5 and a stiff breeze with it. I refuse to get excited over those charts, if I do I'll be sorely disappointed! I shall wait with baited breath.... And maybe a snow shovel,and thermals and a hip flask and two pairs of socks instead of one, and the leccy blanket will be switched on and lots of wood chopped and, and, and........Breathe!

• Like 4

Posted

its looking OK so far