Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Yes Catch, I was just looking at the wind speed charts and Friday looks worse than Christmas day! I'm aware things can and will change a bit over the next few days, but either way Scotland is in for a battering over the weekend! 

Meanwhile at the moment I,'m watching the wind whip up the sea so that it looks like smoke on the water! Cue for a song anyone? Heard a few things being blown around last night so will go and check what's moved overnight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

#StormBarbara is now named officially and is carrying Amber warnings.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1482451200

Edit: Just been updated to cover half of the UK with Yellow warnings.

Edited by asjmcguire
Yellow warnings

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

No, I meant isthmus, I'm fairly comfortable with my use of English. It's a commonly used term, do a Google search and you'll find plenty of examples:

http://geography.wikia.com/wiki/Isthmus

Aye, the picture in your link is almost exactly like the Forth-Clyde valleys.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Morning all there's not that much change in the models overnight ....ooops sorry wrong thread with all the bickering on here this morning I thought I was in the (winters over model thread )anyhooo currently-2c  and foggy after an overnight low of _2.9c .I have to agree the last 2 weeks weather have been tedious to say the least 

Posted

Considering how savagely mild it's been this December so far it's nice to see an actual frost for once this month. Might be the last for this week at least.........................

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I think we are all suffering from SAD.....I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw the sun!

Today is just like yesterday and the day before and the day before that!   Nice frost last night when I went to bed but all gone by the time I got up this morning.

aircam_pic.php.jpe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Valley, axis, isthmus...can we just all agree to call it the Forth Clyde s**thole. Well those of us that don't have to live there can call it that.

We need some snow to brighten the mood, that's for sure.

Anyway, stiff breeze here this morning making it feel raw outside. Temp was 5C or so when I left the house at 8:45am, but wasn't far off freezing around 11pm last night. Dry, patchy clouds and some sun.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

bright and cold here this morning, bit of a breeze but not much - yet... I was out late last night on the bike and the roadsides were nice and glittery.

I'd forgotten about my advent calendar so just had a post-breakfast gorge on chocolate, mmmmmmmmmmmm......

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

bright and cold here this morning, bit of a breeze but not much - yet... I was out late last night on the bike and the roadsides were nice and glittery.

I'd forgotten about my advent calendar so just had a post-breakfast gorge on chocolate, mmmmmmmmmmmm......

I've got 2.... and I've forgotten about both..... I'm thinking maybe I'll have a chocolate an hour on Xmas Eve and Xmas Day haha

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

I've got 2.... and I've forgotten about both..... I'm thinking maybe I'll have a chocolate an hour on Xmas Eve and Xmas Day haha

cripes - what were you like as a kid??

Posted
10 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

cripes - what were you like as a kid??

Well one year I got grounded because by the 2nd December I had eaten all the chocolates and closed the doors again and I think for the next 5 or so days I pretended to eat a chocolate every morning before School, but I was spotted not actually taking a chocolate out and then very quickly the parents realised there were no chocolates left in the calendar....

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, asjmcguire said:

Well one year I got grounded because by the 2nd December I had eaten all the chocolates and closed the doors again and I think for the next 5 or so days I pretended to eat a chocolate every morning before School, but I was spotted not actually taking a chocolate out and then very quickly the parents realised there were no chocolates left in the calendar....

That's exactly what our youngest boy did once - we just let him get on with it... he'll be home from college soon so we're going to have to stash all the choc somewhere..

Posted

Last year I bought those chocolate gold coins, sellotaped garden ties to them and hung them on the Christmas tree and used them as my advent calendar - it was much more fun than a real advent calendar to be honest. 

FB_IMG_1449858475485.jpg

Posted
41 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Scroll down and it gives it as an example. Everything's relative. Do a Google search and you'll find numerous examples of its use. I know I'm right so you can bounce it back as often as you want :p 

I'm old school, if I had described the Forth/Clyde valley as an isthmus, my Geography teacher would have given me ten of the best. Incidentally I did achieve an A in my Higher Geography.

An isthmus as far as I'm concerned is a stretch of land with water on both sides, having travelled the m 8 on many an occasion I was always struck by the lack of such liquid on either side.

Edited by mountain shadow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, asjmcguire said:

Last year I bought those chocolate gold coins, sellotaped garden ties to them and hung them on the Christmas tree and used them as my advent calendar - it was much more fun than a real advent calendar to be honest. 

FB_IMG_1449858475485.jpg

When our eldest 2 children were young (around 6 & 8), in addition to having a real tree in the lounge we used to put up a small(ish) artificial 'kids' tree in the upstairs landing. One year we put some chocolate decorations on it, which the kids were to have on Xmas day. One day, well before Xmas, they'd all disappeared and both kids denied responsibility. A quick check of their bedrooms though and we found all the wrappers in the bin in our son's bedroom. At least he was tidy, if not smart enough to hide them better (or put them in his big sister's bin).

Oh, and our son is nearly 20 now but every Xmas he still gets reminded of the year all the chocolate decorations disappeared.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
1 hour ago, Cheggers said:

Cold and frosty start here. See the BBC are warning about storm Barbara

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-38377399

Finally.

It seemed like this winter was going to be completely devoid of weather.

There's only so much...

overcast.png

...a man can take.

It all went wrong when I fitted those Nokian weatherproofs...

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted
38 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

When our eldest 2 children were young (around 6 & 8), in addition to having a real tree in the lounge we used to put up a small(ish) artificial 'kids' tree in the upstairs landing. One year we put some chocolate decorations on it, which the kids were to have on Xmas day. One day, well before Xmas, they'd all disappeared and both kids denied responsibility. A quick check of their bedrooms though and we found all the wrappers in the bin in our son's bedroom. At least he was tidy, if not smart enough to hide them better (or put them in his big sister's bin).

Oh, and our son is nearly 20 now but every Xmas he still gets reminded of the year all the chocolate decorations disappeared.

This is an awesome story, but I'm not keen on the idea that anyone else anywhere else in the world thought of hanging chocolate coins on a Christmas tree before I did - I clearly invented the concept*......

* (Yes I am aware that's literally the reason they exist.....)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Have yourself a windy little Christmas.... Skye is in there somewhere!

w14826780002006[1].gif

ukgust[5].png

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

I'm old school, if I had described the Forth/Clyde valley as an isthmus, my Geography teacher would have given me ten of the best. Incidentally I did achieve an A in my Higher Geography.

An isthmus as far as I'm concerned is a stretch of land with water on both sides, having travelled the m 8 on many an occasion I was always struck by the lack of such liquid on either side.

Not sure the water has to be visible for it to count.  A 50km wide isthmus is maybe stretching a point though.

Posted

Back from my work trip away and I see that the Christmas period is forecast to be ghastly! Looking brutal and if it's as bad as forecast I might find it harder than usual to escape the in-laws with that after dinner walk while they pour themselves another vat of red wine! Traditionally they are both asleep by the time I return :D

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted

Started the day  off very windy with clear skies a frost in sheltered areas and 1.8c. Even windier now with high cloud and currently 6.9c .Will have to get the thremals back on again! Ground drying up again, drought could be an issue next year.

• Like 2

Posted

Got some light rain ahead of the cold front. Rain on that looks particulairy heavy