Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
16 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Here comes the mud...

Plenty of it being slung around in the model thread if it hasn't all been deleted!:aggressive:

• Like 8

Posted

the model thread appears to have mislaid the plot again... I thought I had mastered the thumb screen scroll so that I only read the more reputable posters but even that is getting more and more difficult.  

Forgot to mention got to 10 here in Aberdeen but soon dropped to 6 on way home.  

Edited by Gogoslo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Absolutely horrid here at the moment - just 1'C, heavy rain and cold. Miserable!

Still more inviting than the model thread though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Evening all. 

After the most benign autumn I can remember, time to end the estivation and return to the MacPalace of Sanity for the fun bit of the year. 

Second ice day of the autumn/winter yesterday and raw again all day today. 

First of the rain arrived mid-morning and it's turned progressively heavier and mair dreich since then. 

Currently 1.0C/DP 1C and heavy cauld rain. 

The lead in to this winter reminds me of 2012-13 regarding recent winters, despite all the usual posts about 'promising background signals' and general hype in the TOORPing thread. Lots of wild cards, though, this time.  

Time will tell, but for cauldies, it's off to a decent start. Just the wee mild blip to get through now...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Urgh I was considering popping in to the model thread today as well - we need @edo to pop in there and come back with a summary - as they have unofficially taken up the position of model watchers watcher.

It's 3.8C here - that is actually the max of the day as well. Day average still below zero (just) at -0.5C

In the league table - Munlochy is still below 0 (just) and a chunk of stations around Fife, Scottish Borders, Tayside, Lothian (Edinburgh Airport) still either at or below 3C.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Ross B said:

6 years ago on this date I got stuck on the mate for 14 hours. Different weather tonight for sure!

https://stv.tv/news/scotland/214411-drivers-stranded-as-blizzards-bring-more-chaos-to-scotland/

Has mate the road been auto-corrected to mate as in a friend?

Edit: Yup - that's behaviour I have not seen before!

Edited by asjmcguire
Confirmation.

Posted
6 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

Has mate the road been auto-corrected to mate as in a friend?

Edit: Yup - that's behaviour I have not seen before!

It has indeed mate 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

a model watcher watchers thread.....

comedy gold today as Glacier Point says I would be selling that... 2 pages of debate as to whether GP was being positive or negative... GP clears it up by saying he meant the opposite of buying 

highlight of the day though was fergie using the phrase bimodal.... this caused chaos once again as everyone asked what does this mean....strangely all forgetting they have this new invention called google....

bipolar may be a better word for most in there 

feb1991blizzard thinks Scotland could get a snow hurricane out of that, drifts metres deep, horizontal, 0m visability snow at 30mm ph anyway on Dec22 

would take that 

nick Sussex and singularity are arguing over whether he should be laughing my a55 off... that's his a55 not mine

poor paul the moderator wins post of the day though......."And once again can we get back to the models please, I get that it's reasonable to have an opinion, and to voice disagreement with someone else's opinion, but it's less reasonable to turn that into some sort of willy waving contest and allow it to escalate into insults". 

willy waving in search of snow...heard it all now...

for what's it worth the models seem to be moving towards looking at another cold dry frosty spell after a mild 6 days or so....nice for run up to Xmas and who knows where it will lead

Edited by edo
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just watched Hateful Eight so 'willy waving in search of snow' has erm awkward connotations...

Wet out this evening. Will take a snow hurricane on the 22nd even if it means losing my deposit to CMD.

Gawd I should be asleep zzzzzzzz

• Like 4

Posted

Thank you @edo that summary above is exactly what you are paid* for! Short, concise and saves days of reading the model thread.

Oooo exciting, can anyone remember? I'm sure like a month back the experts were suggesting that based on goings on with background signals and the lag between something happening and it actually affecting the weather - the general feeling was that regardless of what was going on in the short term, the cold and hopefully snow was not really expected to be showing up until the last part of December.

* payment is in gratitude and cake, but there is no cake at the moment, so gratitude will have to be enough :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
8 hours ago, Ross B said:

6 years ago on this date I got stuck on the mate for 14 hours. Different weather tonight for sure!

https://stv.tv/news/scotland/214411-drivers-stranded-as-blizzards-bring-more-chaos-to-scotland/

Yep, I was stuck on the mine ( or M9):D when I eventually got moving the motorway was just rutted ice, I was terrified. Took me 6 hours to get from the Gyle in Edinburgh to Falkirk.

10 degrees today at 6.00 when dropping hubby to station (was -1 yesterday).

I've started peeking at the model thread, not a clue what they're on about but it's addictive. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

^ Was horrendous for me too. I was stuck in the library revising for my tax law exam! 

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's certainly neither cold nor snowy today. 11C and blowy, it feels positively tropical outside compared to some mornings recently. 

@Ross B I meant to post up about that snow from six years ago, I've still got charts on my laptop from that one. Not cos I'm an organised weather geek, simply as a result of being lazy and never deleting anything. 

Me too, I've got the radar screengrab somewhere.Thought i was smart getting up  and  going to work before the  snow started...only to find  out on my way home everyone else was still trying to  complete the morning rush hour!!!

• Like 1

Posted

I was lying on Bondi Beach pretending not to be a lobster during that day.

Pretty much the same temperatures then as we've got today....you know it's bad when the English workforce working in the local office are complaining about it being too hot outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

So, Monday night returning from Portree temp was -5c, this was about 7.45pm. At home it was -3 . Yesterday  morning dawned dull and mild at 8.5c and the temp crept up all day reaching the dizzy heights of 14.3c. This morning at 8am it was 14.8c and now the wind ha picked up and we have horizontal rain. Oh bliss! Back to a normal Skye winter then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

@asjmcguire from all the long range forecasts I read the most common concensus was a cold early half of winter but also a drier one and if we get through this mild spell fairly rapidly and back to the doninant HP then that looks likely....the problem with the model thread is they always look for immediate deep cold....models today not as cold as last night but still most likely option appears at least Scotland hopefully heading back to cool and frosty...

I shall dip in again tonight...might even copy @stewfox summary as he is doing a very funny take on the model thread every night...well worth a read 

• Like 6

Posted

Today is wet and mild , kind of missed the rain :) though I am sure in couple of days stuck inside, i will crave the beautiful cold crisp weather of the last few weeks :)

Anyhoo ,, as an eternal optimist ,, i went into the MOD thread ,, oh dear ... :( winter is over ,, kept thinking  of the Smiths song,, I know it's over and it never really began ..

think i will take a wee break for a week , thank goodness for this thread ,.. my weather gurus :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Could whoever it was who posted pics of the wee box he made for the weather station sensor, please gimme the link to the pics? Husband wants to make one for ours. TY!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well, 13.5C this morning at 8am, quite a change from the frequent -5s and below we've been getting used to. We've even got the windows open at work today, maybe we should crank down the radiators instead. 

As for the model thread, I've taken to just skim reading it, same for the models. I'll take more notice again if/when the models start showing something interesting and consistent. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, by-tor said:

Insane if this reading today from Wick is verified ! Surely spurious ?

Capture.PNG

Aye - who said that last December's temps were a one-off!:shok:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, by-tor said:

Insane if this reading today from Wick is verified ! Surely spurious ?

Capture.PNG

There's a few Wunderground WS that give anomolous data, and I agree, that looks a bit unlikely.

Temp maxed at 15C in Buckie.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1