Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
1 minute ago, Northern Strath said:

An overnight low of -7c 

Wow, what a difference a few hundred miles makes!

Posted
1 minute ago, Northern Strath said:

Aye @asjmcguire will be looking to see if we can get our lowest temp of the season tonight, rock solid underfoot and the sky is clear so the potential is there 

Our lowest temperature of December and in fact ever recorded (since 2006 when records start) is -14.5C and while you may have some chance of getting there, it's currently -0.5C here and I don't see it dropping anywhere near that low, I doubt we will even go down to -5C here.

• Like 1

Posted

The moderating effect of open water at Loch Morlich quite marked at present, it's -4.5ºc at the beach and -6.5ºc a few 100 metres away behind trees at the Glenmore campsite. Glenmore is a bit narrower as you head East from the Loch and the narrower Ciste Gully seems to channel cold down into the Eastern part of the glen more efficiently than the wider open space in Coire Cas

.  morlich-2016.12.04.16.jpeg

Over in the West a new Summit webcam is online after  year's hiatus after the summit building got destroyed and the power cable bust in November 2015. Network Rail have had to swap out 20 x 30kg deep cycle batteries every 8-12 days at the summit for the last year to keep the RETB (Radio Electronic Token Block)signalling working on the West Highland Line!! 

summit-2016.12.04.16.jpeg

Cam: http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Gogoslo said:

Got to +4 this afternoon but seemed a lot colder in the wind..

A bit gloomy atmosphere in model thread if you are after cold.  

Urgh and yet on Twitter people are delighted that the postage stamps show cold returning middle of December (which seems to be pretty much was what being suggested about a month ago?)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Oh my word is it cold. 

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Oh my word is it cold. 

....do you know - how cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well I don't know about Inverness, but it's currently -3.8C here. 

• Like 1

Posted

Very short days now  low sun setting almost mid afternoon todays being a frosty looking onePC040241.JPG currently -4c Cat models say snow or PC040242.JPGis it just very cold outside?

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Currently 0C by Buckie harbour, and I doubt it'll get down to the -4C I've seen forecast as there's a wee breeze set up in the last couple of hours.

Right, that's me finished work for the week.  Got all of 8 hours off before the next one starts.  Roll on Santa.

Posted

Just keeping above freezing here on the coast..  +1 at the moment.  

Interesting tweet from Matt Hugo this evening about "something brewing" and "stay tuned....."

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 minute ago, Gogoslo said:

Just keeping above freezing here on the coast..  +1 at the moment.  

Interesting tweet from Matt Hugo this evening about "something brewing" and "stay tuned....."

Pinch of salt... to both your notes!

• Like 1

Posted

Currently -2.5 and an average temperature of 1C for the day. Right I'm off to find something to do to keep me awake for the Westworld finale since Sky Atlantic announced on Friday that they are going to simulcast it with the US - which isn't widely known because obviously all the TV guides were already long printed before they made that decision. (2am - if you didn't know)

Edited by asjmcguire
Added time

Posted

Can't complain about today's weather - was out in rural South Lanarkshire today - bright, crisp and frosty.  There must've been spots in valleys where the temperature didn't get above freezing all day. Was feeling lazy but I shamed myself into going for a walk by thinking about the fish supper and beer I consumed yesterday and the need to work it off - was a good decision! Had to scrape the car when I got back to it at 3.30pm - was -1.5C on car thermometer on back road in hills near Biggar. It did look more cloudy over towards Tweedsmuir so I'm guessing this is why the Borders wasn't as nice.

Is going to feel a lot less seasonal this coming week, but fingers crossed for something more interesting thereafter!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, asjmcguire said:

....do you know - how cold?

-8'C currently - was just in from a dog walk earlier and there was a constant slight breeze making it feel raw. Stay tuned as I'm sure it'll be heading further south yet and that the likes of NorthernStrath / NorthernLights will be a bit chilly too! 

• Like 4

Posted

Currently -7c and clear.                All these bare ground frosts will be doing a lot of good to the ploughed ground and hopefully reducing a few insect pests.So different from the last few autumns and  very early winters

• Like 5

Posted

Bloody hell that's cold this morning - left Stirling after scraping the car, washers working fine, arrived at work in Ra Weej, and the skooshers were frozen solid.

-4 at the moment.

Looking at the ensembles for the coming couple of weeks, and there's not much cold on offer, but plenty of rain.

Not so good.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

-7.5C at 7am this morning, which was probably the overnight low too. As expected with temperatures like that it's currently bright and sunny. Car was not responding to a scraper this morning and even the de-icer was having a hard time. My 9 yr old also thought it hilarious as I'd to scrape the inside of the car windscreen too. Going to be a shock to the system on Wednesday with 12C forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

-1.9c was the lowest for here overnight and currently -1.4c.   Beautiful morning though!

aircam_pic.php.jpe

Posted

It's an absolute pea-souper now out here at Glasgow Airport...proper thick fog and still baltic.

Edited by GraemeB
  • Like 1

Posted

-4.7'C currently with remnants of freezing fog / very low cloud. Pretty penetrating frost around. River level in Inverness is currently incredibly low for December (or any time of the year for that matter!), a lot of islands popping up here and there which the ducks and herons are making the most of. 

Low of -9.2'C last night at 1:00AM after which the freezing fog seems to have set in raising the temperature to -5'C where it seems to have sat most of the night with the exception of 6:00AM where the temperature fell a degree for a while. Looking like an ice day today! 

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 2