Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
1 hour ago, asjmcguire said:

These are pretty much the posters I look out for - though I essentially understand practically nothing when Tamara posts - which is fine - after all - it's a model output discussion thread, it's just that I don't even have a vague clue what the post is actually saying.

Well that is true haha.

I get some of it but other parts go way beyond my knowledge and even what i can translate/workout given the context.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
24 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Siberian wave breaking pendulum phase nine oscillation

I'm really hoping this was a slightly exaggerated funny post - because I understand what each of those words mean - on their own - but when assembled in the way quoted.... I ... brain....melt....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

6C, drizzle, heavy mist, zero wind, yuk.

Tamara's posts, well I'm getting there with them. I think I now understand about 20% of their content, whereas last year it was well under 10%. I doubt I'll ever understand them fully though, same as I don't understand 90% of the stuff posted in the Strat thread.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
17 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

6C, drizzle, heavy mist, zero wind, yuk.

Tamara's posts, well I'm getting there with them. I think I now understand about 20% of their content, whereas last year it was well under 10%. I doubt I'll ever understand them fully though, same as I don't understand 90% of the stuff posted in the Strat thread.

They're beautifully written. But with all the UK/local predictive ability of a roulette wheel.

Edited by by-tor
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, by-tor said:

They're beautifully written. But with all the UK/local predictive ability of a roulette wheel.

I don't think you can read Tamara's posts in that way - they're more about patterns on a global scale.

• Like 1

Posted

Another  benign day with just a few light showers and a high of  9c. At some point  this is going to change as the bull came back from his summer holidays today and the farmer that delivered him  back was saying that he could not believe this autumns weather  allowing field work to continue almost uninterrupted and it could not last forever. Not our usual Autumn at all

Posted

So, we dropped to -0.2 overnight, and reached a high of 7.1

Min < 0: 1 Day.

Max > 5: 2 Days.

Max > 10: 1 Day.

Posted

Exactly one year ago today! Called by Euro4 a few days in advance but only showed for a very localized area in the Borders/Lothians. Ended up a bit more widespread with temporary chaos on some higher routes.

IMG_20151203_201049.jpg

IMG_20151203_201035.jpg

IMG_20151203_201019.jpg

Would take a repeat sometime soon :)

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted

Still got near full cover of mid level stratus this morning, despite the very latest sooper dooper forecasting tools from Planet Gong showing clear sky. If they can't get this right at 6 hours, what hope for a snow forecast at 7 days? Ho hum.  Wouldn't mind some temporary (but long-lasting) snowy chaos soon. Fk, there's some guy on the beach pointing a camera at me now, I'm only doing what I'm paid for you miserable dog-walking turd.

Posted

Earlier fog has lifted, 2c. Overnight low 1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Lowest temp recorded overnight was 2.4c.   Currently 4.3 c and calm.

aircam_pic.php.jpe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

For fans of Joe Bastardi (the most entertaining met guy out there IMO) then check out his US "Saturday Summary" for today at: http://www.weatherbell.com/

Scroll up and down a bit and you'll find it. Although he's US focused you can read between the lines for the UK if you want to with his 62/63 analogue ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Pure white up here but no thermometer - bought husband a wee mini weather station with indoor and outdoor temps but we haven't got any batteries in the house for it and we canny be assed to go and get them..

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all, no frost here this morning, 4c. Another calm day in the offing, it's been amazing how storm free late Autumn and the start of winter have been. Doesn't feel like Scotland!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Temp of 2.6c  at 6am falling steadily afterwards to a low of 0.4c and now sitting at 0.7c.   What seemed to be another frost free episode is now a slightly frosty one!

Posted

Although the cold is going to be goodbye it will be nice to see some variety to the weather at long last. Been stuck in a bit of a rut for quite a while now nice to have some variety

Posted
3 hours ago, Northernlights said:

-0.3c here

And the frost has strengthend in shaded areas as the skies cleared and we now have wall to wall sunshine. Currently 1.8c One of those unusual days where the temperature has risen only a little as the sun came out.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

7c under predominantly sunny skies, really very pleasant - off out for a walk to make the most of it!

Posted
5 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Not quite the predicted frost this morning, 3C. Spose it might drop a bit yet though...

Down at 1C by 09:30, now up to 4C.  Nice to get a sunny day again after all the cloudy dross of late.  Last frost of the year tonight - any takers?

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

At what odds? Offer me something decent and I might take a virtual punt, otherwise forget it. It's hugely unlikely that we'll go almost four weeks with no frost after this coldish spell fades.

Bland as anything here today, frost all gone, 5C and part cloudy. The only vaguely notable feature is the complete lack of air movement which is unusual. 

IMG_1507.JPG

Also depends on where... My version is decidely coastal 99% of the time, whether at home, work or play, and it was very odd to get the run of frosts last month. I would be disappointed but not at all surprised if there was no frost at home for the rest of the year but no way I'd put anything on there being no frost anywhere in Scotland this month - virtual gambling suicide.

Agree re the still air - there was a breeze this morning but it's nearly flat calm now. Not quite though - smoke's drifting this way from some garden bonfire.

Posted

Really odd this morning. Overnight it hovered between 1 and 2 all night, and then suddenly about 2 or 3 hours before sunrise it started to drop, I thought it was going to be the usual thing where it drops a bit at sunrise and then starts to climb again, especially with there being actual sun this morning - but it didn't, it just kept falling - all the way down to -1.8C

It did not make it back above freezing until around 11am. We reached 4.3C today.

• Like 1

Posted

Couldn't fault today. An overnight low of -7c led in to a beautiful day with clear, blue skies and not a drop of wind. Everything sparkly and crisp with a maximum of -2c. Currently -6c so another cold one tonight. It may be a short spell but at least it's a bit more seasonal for December 

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 3