Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Hoar frost growing bigger by the day in the shade.

Turning int my estate tonight it almost looked like a light covering of snow in places i.e where the frost had been in the shade all day. Not sure what our max was but it was around -2C when I got home at 6pm and is currently down under -4C. It's going to be another cold one!

Oh and I really need to strengthen up the screenwash in my car as the washers stayed frozen most of the way into and back from work today. If anyone has suggestions for decent stuff then feel free. Lidl screenwash is the bee knees but they never seem to have it until half way through the winter. Halfords -20C stuff we got last year when we ran out of the Lidl is sort of OK but a horrible luminous green colour.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
3 hours ago, asjmcguire said:

I don't get it either -

You come away from the model thread with the impression it will either be average or just above average in terms of temperature. So days of temperatures with subzero averages are not exactly what I would call average - for November anyway.

As an aside:

The "Cold Weather Payments" require a week (7 CONSECUTIVE DAYS) of temperatures at or near to 0?! Am I the only one thinking that someone that can't afford heating and hence requires Cold Weather Payments will be dead with 7 consecutive days of zero temperatures?

Getting a run of maybe 3 at a push 4 days of near zero temperatures might be fairly normal for a UK winter - but I'd suggest that 7 consecutive days is probably pretty rare.

Slightly off topic - but is it 7 consecutive days of temps with a mean of 0 degrees, or a max of 0 degrees. I suspect mean, as it is a tall order even under very cold uppers to record 7 consecutive ice days. In the last 21 years, we have had only had 3 such spells, and only just, 7 days in Dec 1995 ice days, 7 days just about I think early Jan 2010, and 9 days in Dec 2010.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
19 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

If anyone has suggestions for decent stuff then feel free. Lidl screenwash is the bee knees but they never seem to have it until half way through the winter. Halfords -20C stuff we got last year when we ran out of the Lidl is sort of OK but a horrible luminous green colour.

You can get isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) on Amazon pretty cheaply these days.

About 1:4 of that to water by volume will do you down to -10 C sustained, which covers a harsher Scottish winter. 1:8 will work for your average common or garden frost.

I bought 10 litres for £25. That makes 50L of strong (-10C) screen wash, so 50p/litre, which is pretty cheap for good winter stuff.

Add a wee drop of fairly liquid (tsp) per 5 litre to help it clean.

If you feel like it, you can buy some food colouring to turn it e.g. pink for that pro look.:)

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted

Minus 5 here already according to my sister's car......................that's cold and can only go down further

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Slightly off topic - but is it 7 consecutive days of temps with a mean of 0 degrees, or a max of 0 degrees.

From the Gov website:

You’ll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below for 7 consecutive days.

I gather it used to be less than 7 days but they had to change the rules after the 09/10 winter because there is balance between people being able to afford heating and the UK Gov not wanting to pay out too often. But when I look at what our averages have been -

18th:     0.1 (H:4.2,L:-3.3), 19th:    -0.6 (H:4.4,L:-3.7)

20th:    -2.5 (H:2.6,L:-6.2), 21st:    -1.3 (H:4.1,L:-7.6)

22nd:    3.4 (H:4.6,L:0.7), 23rd:    -0.4 (H:3.9,L:-3.8)

Today is currently sitting at an average of -2.5

As you can see - clearly there should of been a cold weather payment because this has been brutal on the LPG - but because one day (the not Angus day) was an average of 3C - we won't get it, not to mention that the readings are probably taken from Charterhall anyway which is consistently warmer than we are. 

Charterhall for info is:

18th: 2 (H:4,L:-1), 19th: 2 (H:4,L:-1)

20th: -0 (H:3,L:-4), 21st: 0 (H:5,L:-5)

22nd: 4 (H:5,L:2), 23rd: 2 (H:6,L:-2), 24th: 0 (H:3,L:-2)

Edited by asjmcguire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Don't get me started on govt statistics, I'll get banned. Or maybe I should apply to be a govt weather station - our thermometer  is still reading 19c oot in my back garden. I'm sure the govt wid like that. Save them a fortune!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Some of the readings for Charterhall wouldn't be as high as the mean temp isn't an average of the high and low

I couldn't find any proper temperatures on the Met Office site but I know all the Met Stations are on WUnderground - so I got those figures from there.

Yes..... Charterhall really is in a land of it's own - I managed to find some PDFs of stats and spreadsheets of previous years of Cold Weather Payments on the Gov site, and one of the things you can find there is a link of Postcodes to a specific weather station. It's astounding the geographical area that is actually tied to temperature readings from Charterhall.....

NE71, TD1-6, TD8, TD10-15.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Another ditto  -1.5c  but feels much lower.  Not sure if there is something wrong with the webcam this morning or if those are the true colours?

aircam_pic.php.jpe

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4

Posted

I'm apparently under a weather station at Gogarbank or Gogarburn or somewhere. The fact that I'm always at least 2 degrees colder and 1000ft higher up doesn't seem to bother the govt  :cold:

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, mardatha said:

I'm apparently under a weather station at Gogarbank or Gogarburn or somewhere. The fact that I'm always at least 2 degrees colder and 1000ft higher up doesn't seem to bother the govt  :cold:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/477656/cold-weather-payments-weather-stations-postcodes.ods you will find them in there.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Not sure if there is something wrong with the webcam

Looks like the white balance is off, probably there is a lot of frost causing a lot of bright light to be reflected and throwing off the balance. Usually the colours either go purple or green when that happens. Might be worth giving Graham a shout though to see if he's aware of it.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't qualify for the payments anyway asj lol I just like moaning about the govt :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

As for the topic in question.

We finished the day with an average temperature of -2.6

The overnight low is -6.2 which is what it currently is. (Charterhall is at -2.9, and in case anyone thinks it might be my station calibration. Peebles is at -8, Eskdalemuir -5.7, Earlston -5.5, Hawick -4.7)

Posted
2 minutes ago, mardatha said:

I just like moaning about the govt

....which one..... :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

As predicted, another cold one here. Currently -6.8C and an overnight low of -7.6C. Forecast temps have been woefully inaccurate during this period, for example the BBC weather app had us predicted to get down to -1C last night. 

Looks like a warm up over the weekend so the thick frost will be no more. 

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

Looks like a warm up over the weekend

I'm a fan of cold, frost, snow etc.....

But I also rely on extremely expensive LPG for heating so.......

A brief milder period won't get any complaints from me....

Posted
39 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Another ditto  -1.5c  but feels much lower.  Not sure if there is something wrong with the webcam this morning or if those are the true colours?

aircam_pic.php.jpe

Just thought I'd clarify that the colours above are as a result of the camera having not yet switched from Infrared mode, back to True-colour mode. There is a transitional period during dusk/dawn, where the camera still has the IR filter in place, as it's still in IR mode due to low light levels. Once it detects enough light, it will switch to daylight mode and the colours will look normal once again.

3 of my 6 cams are Infrared capable, the above Lochgelly camera being one, but also the Aberdour and St. Andrews SkyCam as well. http://www.fifeweather.co.uk/index.php/weathercam

Cheers,

Graham

EDIT: Ooops, I see Andy has already beaten me to this post. :) Thanks Andy!

Edited by FifeWeather.co.uk
  • Like 3

Posted

BLACK FRIDAY!!   I take it this refers to the Netweather MOD?  Gonna be a long winter folks!

index.jpe

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, FifeWeather.co.uk said:

Just thought I'd clarify that the colours above are as a result of the camera having not yet switched from Infrared mode, back to True-colour mode. There is a transitional period during dusk/dawn, where the camera still has the IR filter in place, as it's still in IR mode due to low light levels. Once it detects enough light, it will switch to daylight mode and the colours will look normal once again.

3 of my 6 cams are Infrared capable, the above Lochgelly camera being one, but also the Aberdour and St. Andrews SkyCam as well. http://www.fifeweather.co.uk/index.php/weathercam

Cheers,

Graham

Hi Graham,

Welcome to the forum! It's about time you joined!

Want to have a chat with you at some point about how feasible it would be to create a 360 weather camera. But I'll catch you somewhere else to chat about it after I've had a sleep.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, FifeWeather.co.uk said:

Just thought I'd clarify

Thanks for that Graham.   I suspected that something was different.   People are well used on here to my daily airings of the webcam pics and info.:)

Posted

-2.5c after an overnight low of -4c. Very heavy frost and much clearer than last few mornings. Good view of a distant, snow capped Ben Lomond from the upstairs window. Beautiful morning! 

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Thanks for that Graham.   I suspected that something was different.   People are well used on here to my daily airings of the webcam pics and info.:)

No worries at all Blitzen, always nice to see the weathercams being useful to folk! The upgrade to the IR cams for Aberdour and Lochgelly is a relatively recent development (within the past 2 months for both). As soon as Openreach get the FTTC cabinet online in my area and I can get a decent broadband service, I'm hoping to upgrade the live video stream from Standard-Def to HD 1080p, for the Lochgelly cam too.

14 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

Hi Graham,

Welcome to the forum! It's about time you joined!

Want to have a chat with you at some point about how feasible it would be to create a 360 weather camera. But I'll catch you somewhere else to chat about it after I've had a sleep.

Cheers Andy, thank for the warm welcome! Sounds like an interesting project idea!

• Like 2