Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

-3c in the car after a low just shy of -5c. Beautiful, morning! I should save this and paste it again tomorrow! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Another ditto post and pic from me this morning.   Currently -2c but slightly more frost I think.

aircam_pic.php.jpe

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

A maximum of 1.4C yesterday and a minimum of -5.0C last night. Currently -4.6C and sunnyIMG_20161124_082227342.jpgIMG_20161124_082236741.jpgIMG_20161124_081943500_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It was  -4/5C when I left the house this morning (was too rushed to check exact temp) and an overnight low of -6.1C (I did check that when making breakfast). Despite the mild, wet blip, it's been quite an impressive run of cold temperatures. Even Dyce was still -3.5 at 9am.

Other than the temperature it's dead calm, blue skies with thin patchy white cloud and sunny spells.

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like Edinburgh Airport got down to -7C last night which would be impressive anytime never mind in November! Temp here is back down to -4c. 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

_3c here and clear.  No mud great!!!!

Just shifted neep fence and you can see the run of frosty days in  the drills which are still standing in spite of cows feet a most unusual occurance in November.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Not working today so doing a @CatchMyDrift and watching from indoors.  I can see a very frosty lawn, all the fruit trees and bushes are leafless and the car is very white, except where it's dirty.  Wondering whether to punish my lungs with a cycle ride...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon Peeps! Well, it was as I predicted, temp got down to -1c last night, that's the coldest we've had for a while. I don't think it got as cold as that last year! Temp has struggled today, currently at 2.3c. Beautiful white and sparkly day! More please!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Just shifted neep fence and you can see the run of frosty days in  the drills which are still standing in spite of cows feet a most unusual occurance in November.

As a startling demonstration of my limitless ignorance, I simply must ask you, NLs: what is a 'neep fence'?:doh:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

Sheesh, townie!

Neep = Turnip/Swede

You've never seen a field full of neeps with cows/sheep in it, with a temporary (electric) fence across it that the farmer moves incrementally to allow the cows/sheep access to fresh neeps?

Thanks for that, I had visions of a wall built out of neeps!:shok:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Just jinxed winter folks. Sorry.

#Nokian #Weatherproof

IMG_20161124_152732.jpg

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

As a startling demonstration of my limitless ignorance, I simply must ask you, NLs: what is a 'neep fence'?:doh:

A fence to keep neeps in. :diablo:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

So yesterday -

the frost didn't lift in a lot of places here, and he had to make a trip to Galashiels about 5pm by which time it was already -2 out there and although a lot of roads had been gritted they were still very very slippy. Overnight the temperature dropped to -5.9 and we ended the day yesterday with an average temperature of -0.4 

We reached the dizzying high temperature of 2.5 today and are now down to 0.6 with a current average temperature still well below 0 at -2.6 

Posted
14 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

#Nokian #Weatherproof

IMG_20161124_152732.jpg

It's OK! I've been asked to go away with work 10th - 17th December so it's almost certain your new tyres will get a fantastic workout that week at least!!!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

It's a fence to protect neeps from being eaten by wild haggis.

I'd be surprised if they could even find them - it must be a complete accident when they stumble on them, all that running around in circles they do must take up a significant proportion of the day, I haven't ever heard anyone say the haggis saw something and ran straight towards (or even away from) it.....

Edited by asjmcguire
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Sometimes I can't help but feel that the Model thread is to meteorology what the Brexit thread is to politics. 

TOORPING reaching biblical proportions over there - it's almost as though following individual deterministic runs is completely hopeless. But going a step further and actually getting upset that these runs fluctuate wildly is just beyond me. 

Anyway, touch below freezing here. Cold day.

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Sometimes I can't help but feel that the Model thread is to meteorology as the Brexit thread is to politics.

I don't get it either -

You come away from the model thread with the impression it will either be average or just above average in terms of temperature. So days of temperatures with subzero averages are not exactly what I would call average - for November anyway.

As an aside:

The "Cold Weather Payments" require a week (7 CONSECUTIVE DAYS) of temperatures at or near to 0?! Am I the only one thinking that someone that can't afford heating and hence requires Cold Weather Payments will be dead with 7 consecutive days of zero temperatures?

Getting a run of maybe 3 at a push 4 days of near zero temperatures might be fairly normal for a UK winter - but I'd suggest that 7 consecutive days is probably pretty rare.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, scottish skier said:

#Nokian #Weatherproof

IMG_20161124_152732.jpg

Buying them - and putting them in the shed - isn't quite the same as fitting them.... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
20 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Buying them - and putting them in the shed - isn't quite the same as fitting them.... 

You are partly to blame for the purchase...

But ok, winter's over tomorrow morning then. As that's when these babies are going on.:diablo:

---

Jeez it's chilly. Peaked at 0.6 C today. Hoar frost growing bigger by the day in the shade.

Down to -2.6 already this evening.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
3 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

Sometimes I can't help but feel that the Model thread is to meteorology what the Brexit thread is to politics. 

TOORPING reaching biblical proportions over there - it's almost as though following individual deterministic runs is completely hopeless. But going a step further and actually getting upset that these runs fluctuate wildly is just beyond me. 

Anyway, touch below freezing here. Cold day.

I feel like when the Met say unsettled, milder period to enter December and then from Mid-December colder, blocked, higher risk of frost and snow... You take notice.

People in that thread see a couple decent GFS runs and just make silly and wild predictions based off of them.

Pretty much an ice day here in Stirling, was sitting at 0c by 3:30pm so maybe max was a touch above.

-3c when i left uni at 7pm, rose to -2c down here in the city outskirts.

Love weather like this...

• Like 7