Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Our Scottish stations league page has all 25 minimum temperatures below freezing - 2 hours quicker than yesterday. (Note Traffic Scotland data is not owned by them, so I cannot report the temperatures on the website - but the stations are positioned according to their temperature)

http://www.bordersweather.co.uk/wxleague.php

bw_league_min.png

• Like 5

Posted

All the stations we track are now below 3C - so the whole of Scotland is now officially frosty! 5 of the warmest stations we track - are below freezing and obviously all of the coldest stations are below freezing. 

Burntisland is warmest at 2.8 and (ignoring Stornoway airport which is annoyingly reporting -24 which is a frequent error) Cairgorm Summit is reporting -5.2

Here in Greenlaw we are at -3.4 with most other Scottish Borders stations within a degree of us (warmer) which is normal because Greenlaw is in a bit of a frost hollow.

Fingers crossed we break the -6.9 record and if we break the -7.1 barrier - it will be the coldest 2016 temperature which was set at 1:25am on Tue, 16th February 2016 as can be seen in this useful Winter Stats page I set up for people wanting to question Daily Express headlines..... http://www.bordersweather.co.uk/wxwinter.php

• Like 4

Posted

Evening all, lots of low temps reported over the last few days. Was at Murrayfield last night and that was what I can only describe as brutal, and no not the rugby. It was so still the cold air above just dropped. I think it was only around -1 but felt more like -10.

15168839_10154140468515829_5466021459176197133_o.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

So it's currently -6.2 not far to go to beat the -6.9 record. But look at the average temperature temperature...... -2.5

avgtemp_compare.png

Edit: We beat the record at around 2:45am

bw-trends-min.png

Edited by Andrew Simon Jones
We beat the record.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Brrr, -3 here in Falkirk at 6.30 according to the car and very foggy.

I've been reading the model thread for a while (I won't say following as I haven't really got a clue what most of them are saying). What strikes me the most is how some contributors seem quite nimby about the weather, I.e. If it's not happening where they are is hasn't happened.

Oh and can anyone tell me what FI stands for in relation to the model thread posts?

Cheers, wrap up warm.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A paltry -3C in Buckie but 'freeze yer nuts aff' on the Black Isle, according to a text from someone who will be hanging around outside there today...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 minutes ago, Norrona2015 said:

-9*C at 0615

Ouch, beats me at -7.7C overnight and - 7.4C currently. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
17 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

FI is "fantasy island" as in its far off and is less likely to materialise I think @snowidea

And there you pretty much have the extent of my knowledge of the models :D 

Ahhh, makes sense. Cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Currently -3.1c here from -4.2c earlier which is the lowest I have recorded in this area for a long time!   Certainly didn't achieve it last year.   Blimey, some of you guys are achieving really low temps!

aircam_pic.php.jpe

• Like 2

Posted

-3 in  Aberdeen city centre at the moment.     Could any of the rain that is forecast this evening/tomorrow for most parts actually fall as the white stuff to low levels ?

Posted

Electric fence hard to shift in neep field this morning,probably no ploughing today as ground really frozen now. Just a small grass field to do most other jobs finished before this current freeze up, garden dug , water troughs switched off ,cattle all in and 90% ploughing done .

Fabulous views across the Firth again this morning. PB210228.JPGCurrently -4c

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, Gogoslo said:

-3 in  Aberdeen city centre at the moment.     Could any of the rain that is forecast this evening/tomorrow for most parts actually fall as the white stuff to low levels ?

Unfortunately it seems unlikely. Even although up here we're still forecast to have winds from a N/NE direction as the rain moves in, the rain band itself is coming up from the South and the temps are supposed to rise ahead of it. Frustrating. Could be a surprise, but if there is it'll probably be short lived.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I wasn't the first on the beach this morning busy beach.jpg

Then these were in the last of the frost that starting to lift now... frosted mushrooms.jpg  frosty post.jpg

Making the most of today cause tomorrow will be less than wonderful.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 6

Posted

Temp still hovering around -3c here and the mist is slowly starting to move in after a beautiful morning above the mist and fog. Hard to believe the wind and rain forecast for later today/tomorrow looking out on frost covered trees and some of the most amazing frosted spiders webs I've seen in a long time! 

Maybe a chance of some sleety pish based on this but the sooner this muck is out of the way the better!

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Despite an impressive early doors -5'C here during sunset yesterday we 'only' reached -6.4'C with a consistent breeze through the night (feels like temperature must have been below -10'C). 

Im looking forward to the high pressure later this week. Light winds and little in the way of daylight for late November means one thing for Scotland, frost and fog! Who needs a deep freeze at 300+ hours on the models when you can have a nice settled cold spell to get those ground temperatures plummeting :)

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 7

Posted

Hello All,

Have been enjoying sporadic visits here over the 'fair weather' season (suprisingly dry at times here in the western lowlands, with some cracking spells in May-June and in early autumn).  However, since it's almost meteorlogical winter, it's time to de-lurk!  Some great reports and photos upthread of the current cold spell.  Had a dusting of powdery stuff on the car this morning but think it might've been from freezing fog rather than snow. Also had a nice early winter walk at Wanlockhead on Saturday where there'd been a respectable fall of snow for the time of year, with ongoing sleet and snow showers.

P1020920_zpsredcubme.jpg

P1020931_zpswfz5vtzw.jpg

• Like 7