Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

gfs is off on a pub run special tonight....and only 372 hours away.... hopefully the beginning of a trend which turns all the background signals into some proper winter weather....in my favourite winter month of them all December.... I'm so excited I have just caved in to the kids and bought an inflatable light up santa for the garden next month.... be a shame if it burst from the weight of snow :cold-emoji:

gensnh-12-1-372.png

• Like 6

Posted

they are indeed decent....also continuing the recent trend of those in the west seeing most of the action....hopefully some more upgrades to come 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Reasonably mild, dry and pleasant on Saturday, cool and damp on Sunday, then this morning, well it was 13.5C or thereabouts at 8am. Dry and sunny too. Cooling down through the week until we see what we get at the weekend. Carol Kirkwood mentioned the 'snow' word this morning, suggesting it wasn't just all for high ground either, for Thus into Fri I think. It's unusual for that to be mentioned 4 days away.

Edit: Oh, and some amazing charts getting churned out at the end of the model runs. If they do come to fruition, which is a long shot at the moment, then we're in for something special at the end of the month.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Getting excited - but not happy if it's going to be just the west. It's our turn over here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
6 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

13.5c blue skies and sunshine

Hi Northern Lights, thats just amazing temp, some in your location could see 17 C , so its reported. Just had a look at our snow portal forecast and the  mountains in Scotland could getting quite a covering by this time Friday. So a bit of a changeable week coming up in your latitudes. Whats the state of the fields at the moment on the farm ?

C

Posted
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

Hi Northern Lights, thats just amazing temp, some in your location could see 17 C , so its reported. Just had a look at our snow portal forecast and the  mountains in Scotland could getting quite a covering by this time Friday. So a bit of a changeable week coming up in your latitudes. Whats the state of the fields at the moment on the farm ?

C

Actually the ground is not too wet even after yesterdays rain despite our clay content following a very dry October. Finishing dung spreading today hopefully and autumn ploughing this week  ready for winter Will take last of cows and calves inside at the end of this week,they are much better out today in this mild/damp, less pnemonia risk.

Currently sunny and 14.5c with even a few flies buzzing around!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
18 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Actually the ground is not too wet even after yesterdays rain despite our clay content following a very dry October. Finishing dung spreading today hopefully and autumn ploughing this week  ready for winter Will take last of cows and calves inside at the end of this week,they are much better out today in this mild/damp, less pnemonia risk.

Currently sunny and 14.5c with even a few flies buzzing around!!!

Good man. Sounds all very organised. Local stockmen around here had a short outdoor grazing season with poor fodder due to cloudy conditions prevailing for much of the summer. Regular rainfall but no thunderstorms this summer to speak of. The mountain flora in early summer was in abundance. Cattle back in the lower slopes, shedded and penned here for over a month now. Now we have snow cover to fairly low levels and freezing nights. Hope you avoid a bog winter like the last few.

Posted

yup could do with LS checking in from his Swedish base to give us a chart by chart run down when the end of the week looms closer...as CMD says depending how strong the wind is and how intense the precip is there is potential for a more widespread event....no doubt will change run by run right up until the time  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Highest temp  was at 3.15am 13.8c. Very sticky and muggy all day yesterday and not much change today. Phew! Get ra sun tan lotion oot and fill that paddlin' pool! Although I see we are in for a wee wintry blast later this week, probably wont last long as per usual. I doubt very much I'll see any super moon tonight, too cloudy already and not much chance of it clearing.

Posted

A very pleasant day with a high of 14c around midday, very good visibility and a slight WSW breeze - some welcome late afternoon sunshine too. 

The moon has been and is at present partially visible -  a better than expected view.

sun.01_01._14_11_16.jpg       oaggie_01._14_11_16.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

It's like someone's turned on the hairdryer outside it's so warm. It's NOT going to last thankfully!

Posted
5 hours ago, carinthian said:

Good man. Sounds all very organised. Local stockmen around here had a short outdoor grazing season with poor fodder due to cloudy conditions prevailing for much of the summer. Regular rainfall but no thunderstorms this summer to speak of. The mountain flora in early summer was in abundance. Cattle back in the lower slopes, shedded and penned here for over a month now. Now we have snow cover to fairly low levels and freezing nights. Hope you avoid a bog winter like the last few.

Yes last two weeks of June and whole of July    (only three  totally dry twenty four periods in July)  were very dull/damp  here as well resulting in low yields and poor quality in spring barley.Lack of sunshine during crucial grain fill time.

Its now being reported that silages are lacking protein too again lack of sunshine. Haymaking was delayed until August.

We seemed to have had your continental thunderstorms(not usual Scottish ones) on the 20th July and 6th August which damaged  a lot of the electrical equipment in our  house and knocked out three quarters of a million phones in the north and west of Scotland.Its taken BT nearly three months to sort out all the damage.

With a non existant spring flush of grass in May due to the very cold last week in April its not been a vintage year.

However September provided the most grazing grass at the point when daylength was similar to spring growth starting time and livestock were very content in September and October with the sunshine and ample grazing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Pictures of the super moon last night when the skies cleared. The last one was taken from behind a window which is why there is a fainter moon beside the real thing.

IMG_20161115_053147095.jpg

IMG_20161115_053214907.jpg

IMG_20161115_073154757_BURST001.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The hills and mountains across some parts are going to be pasted. Frequent, heavy snow showers on a stiff westerly and snow to lower levels too across parts of the north.  Everything clicking into place for someone to get a lot of snow.

IMG_1369.GIF

That being Paul plus a few unregistered mountain goats...  Unfortunately NW forum membership reflects human distribution!

Posted

Cough* don't forget the registered mountain goats too HC..

After as grim, dark, sodden and pi5h a Sunday as I can remember, yesterday was a mild and inoffensive 11c. Back down to 6c today and a bit of a bite beginning in the wind. Rain tonight and in to tomorrow but it will be turning to snow at some point so we'll see what happens. Be good to see some ice days over the next few days 

• Like 4

Posted
54 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Cough* don't forget the registered mountain goats too HC..

After as grim, dark, sodden and pi5h a Sunday as I can remember, yesterday was a mild and inoffensive 11c. Back down to 6c today and a bit of a bite beginning in the wind. Rain tonight and in to tomorrow but it will be turning to snow at some point so we'll see what happens. Be good to see some ice days over the next few days 

Excuse me, I forgot :oops:

• Like 1

Posted

I wonder if we could get a repeat of a day back 2 years ago when we had frequent thundery showers think it was December 2014 wonder if the charts are similair to that event (7 thunderstorms in 1 day I remember here)

Posted

@CatchMyDrift... my hypothesis would be that among continuously active members in this Scottish area, rural members are very well represented... but when there's a snow event, we tend to get more posts from the urban chaps.  However that's just my stab in the dark...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

@CatchMyDrift... my hypothesis would be that among continuously active members in this Scottish area, rural members are very well represented... but when there's a snow event, we tend to get more posts from the urban chaps.  However that's just my stab in the dark...

When there is a snow event - many of us rural members probably lose internet and / or power..... such is the life of living rural :D

• Like 5

Posted

So much for the super moon! Full cloud cover when I went to bed, cloud clearing around 1.30 am when the cat got me up to let her out. Yes, moon visible, but it didn't seem anything out of the ordinary to me. Ah well. So, it seems winter is finally on it's way. About time! At quarter to five last night it was 14.4c. Ah, come on, that's just pants! Temp did fall as low as 7c overnight, but this would appear to be nothing compared to what's heading our way. Snow for some I have no doubt, but unlikely we'll see any being so close to the sea. Bummer!

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Before the snow comes the north-west is getting rinsed, there's some heavy rain to come for some overnight:

IMG_1376.PNGIMG_1377.PNG

OH.....deep joy!! Not! Ta for that Catch!