Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 hour ago, Hessle Owl said:

Sunny and frosty will do me unless we can get anything potent from the North or North East. Let see what Feb brings instead. 

I think Hull and parts of E Yorkshire are going to get a nice surprise early on Fri morning with some hefty show showers coming in off the North Sea on a E / NE breeze ( the only wind direction that works for Hull )

Posted
3 minutes ago, Light Without Heat said:

All is not lost GFS 12z pulls further North but as @Jeremy Shockey could be some nice surprises as the North Sea snow machine pulls some hefty showers through.

february 1st.jpg

I reckon we might get a nice surprise Chris - not from the front but from them showers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Light Without Heat said:

All is not lost GFS 12z pulls further North but as @Jeremy Shockey could be some nice surprises as the North Sea snow machine pulls some hefty showers through.

february 1st.jpg

Aye maybe some hope for us eastern folk early Friday.

Saw some light snow in Sheffield this morning, with Grenoside upto Stocksbridge white over and looking stunning in the morning sunshine.

Turns out South Yorkshire is't so bad after all

• Like 1

Posted

BUT... is it really cold enough, everyone says get the cold in first, snow will follow, I personally don't think we have any real cold in situ like we have had in the past, this is what I think, yesterday's front came into Yorkshire and I was out and about in Leeds and it was 2.5 to 3.5oC, a good sharp frost this morning but all that has gone.

Posted
1 minute ago, fazzafarrand said:

BUT... is it really cold enough, everyone says get the cold in first, snow will follow, I personally don't think we have any real cold in situ like we have had in the past, this is what I think, yesterday's front came into Yorkshire and I was out and about in Leeds and it was 2.5 to 3.5oC, a good sharp frost this morning but all that has gone.

Don't forget low DP's are paramount for snow especially if air temps around 3 deg c

Posted
1 minute ago, Light Without Heat said:

Don't forget low DP's are paramount for snow especially if air temps around 3 deg c

Exactly we don't have low temps we don't have low DP's it isn't gonna snow and certainly no evap cooling of fizzled out fronts

Posted
1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Wouldn't it be amazing for a twist in the models to go north and give us all the snow they were due down south!  

If the 12z has anything to do with it, could be possible. I still think we might get something off the North Sea as it drags though. I believe the Meto are going with that also. The trough on Saturday maybe worth a watch as well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
11 minutes ago, Light Without Heat said:

Yeah... uppers aren't brilliant and dew points borderline at times for any showers coming in off the North Sea. I wouldn't be too confident if I was at a low level near the coast, but come 10-15 miles inland with a little bit of height and there could be a nice covering for a few lucky people...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
42 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

The frost has lasted all day in the shade here.

I note the Met are forecasting an ice day here tomorrow. Freezing fog too. Maybe some beautiful rime frost to compensate the lack of snow.

Edited by cheese
  • Thanks 1

Posted

12z Euro4 again indicating a covering possible for North Yorkshire from N Sea convection on Friday morning...

19020109_2_3012.gif

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cold Winter said:

12z Euro4 again indicating a covering possible for North Yorkshire from N Sea convection on Friday morning...

19020109_2_3012.gif

Just takes 1 little shift and yorkshire is back in

Posted
3 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Just takes 1 little shift and yorkshire is back in

I think we can write off the snow event over southern areas - that's not going to get far enough north to reach us unless there's a major last minute shift which seems incredibly unlikely. The more interesting thing now is how much activity we can generate off the north sea later on tomorrow night and into Friday.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

I note the Met are forecasting an ice day here tomorrow. Freezing fog too. Maybe some beautiful rime frost to compensate the lack of snow.

Come home tonight to see that the frost has lasted here too (Sheffield S11 neR city centre) yet a couple of streets away it had cleared. Flipping cold now out there

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Yeah, frost has lasted all day in shade, been damned cold here today, think max it got to today was +2c and that was brief! 

Down to -1c here now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

NMM, HIRLAM, Arpege and Arome all showing a band of showers moving in a North West direction across Yorkshire in early hours of Friday morning.  If we are lucky we might get another dusting...

69EEBC13-5095-413F-8E28-87B0EADBE760.png

B6E58DEF-0EC3-496B-9251-0115C106C925.png

B4BAAFC7-879F-4E32-B65D-66080FAD9029.png

9F11E376-8A6A-4757-8829-DC8873F175C0.png

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

2nd time a dusting has survived the day. Not expecting anything here Thursday night into Friday but if does get this far just another dusting. Next point of interest is next Sunday and Monday. It'll be a repeat performance on Sunday of Tuesday rain and sleet with snow confined to the peak district before turning back to sleet later on. However Monday morning gives a chance of back edge Snow. Also if the rain is heavy enough during Sunday night it may cause a few surprises and this Winter owes us one big time.

• Like 1

Posted

Might have a couple of days off here while the south goes into meltdown with all the news stations when the snow hits!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
44 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Still can't see it 

IMG_20190130_202207.jpg

Best off sticking to the Meto forecasts which are by far the most accurate in my opinion and certainly trumped the BBC forecasts prior to Tuesday's damp squib!

The text forecast is suggesting dry across our region throughout Thursday and Friday although the automated forecast does suggest a little light snow from the early hours of Friday into Friday morning's rush hour.

Sunday night also looks interesting at the moment with quite a strong signal for some kind of front crossing the region.  The automated Meto forecast is showing this as snow but the text forecast suggests something more wet that white so pick the bones out of that!  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

By the way probably the coldest night of Winter (so far?!) coming up tonight with -4c or -5c probably being recorded quite widely and maybe as low as -8c or -9c in somewhere like the Vale of York?

Freezing fog looks like being an additional hazard in some areas too.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1