Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
A.J

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Beverley Lass said:

Just been for a walk.  Truly roasting out there this afternoon.
Therm' reading of 30.3 ° C just now and climbing.
Also alive with Thrips . After night harvesting they are everywhere. 
Storms could be very lively later.


B.

Yes, it got upto 32c about midday but has since cooled off here, down to 29.7c here now.

When you say thrips, do you mean thunderbugs? We've had them here for weeks. I've been taking advantage of the warm weather to sit outside to work, spent most days for the past month outside all day. Those damned thunderbugs are everywhere, my arms went black the other day when a swarm of them appeared. They even got into my laptop and somehow worked their way behind the screen glass. Flipping nightmare. They make you really itchy, especially my head after a cloud of them got into my hair, had to dunk my head underwater to deal with them. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at radar the storms now developing over Berkshire southwards might head to us further west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

I'm down at the harbour looks like something is trying to develop 

Yes a couple of definite rumbles now, and some 'polka dot rain, huge spots that don't overlap, seems to have come out of no where

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a bust for West and south Yorkshire I'm afraid. Everything too far East!

Danm it :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it has suddenly gone very dark here (just north of Brigg) and I can hear lots of thunder, a few miles south of us at the moment but just had a few drops of rain too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like night here now, it has gone so dark. Strong winds, heavy rain and constant rumbling of thunder, so much thunder it seems as though it is just one long awesome rumble. I love thunderstorms ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

It's a bust for West and south Yorkshire I'm afraid. Everything too far East!

Danm it :(

As forecast really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, OldLandRover said:

Yes, it got upto 32c about midday but has since cooled off here, down to 29.7c here now.

When you say thrips, do you mean thunderbugs? We've had them here for weeks. I've been taking advantage of the warm weather to sit outside to work, spent most days for the past month outside all day. Those damned thunderbugs are everywhere, my arms went black the other day when a swarm of them appeared. They even got into my laptop and somehow worked their way behind the screen glass. Flipping nightmare. They make you really itchy, especially my head after a cloud of them got into my hair, had to dunk my head underwater to deal with them. 

 

 

 

Hi, yes that's them, Thunderflies / bugs.  Like you I had one in my laptop screen forever !  They are inside framed wall pictures etc too.

Very dark here now, but so far just light rain and occasional distant thunder ..  

B.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beverley Lass said:

Hi, yes that's them, Thunderflies / bugs.  Like you I had one in my laptop screen forever !  They are inside framed wall pictures etc too.

Very dark here now, but so far just light rain and occasional distant thunder ..  

B.  

Haha, yes, we have them in some pictures too! Little buggers get everywhere.

I'm surprised you've had little rain, we are only a couple of miles north of Brigg, about 10 miles from you? It has been torrential here for last 20 mins. Surface water drains are at capacity and surface water now forming torrents running down road.

This has been the best thunderstorm we've experienced in years, maybe decades. I swear no exaggeration when I say we've seen hundreds of lightning flashes, probably a hundred a minute, almost like somebody holding a flickering lightbulb above the clouds. The sky is pitch black, the wind is really strong and bending the trees over and the noise of the thunder is just awesome. I was just standing under the (nearly blown away) gazebo enjoying being out in it, it makes you appreciate the power of mother nature! 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting up to Bempton now, very dark, lights on indoors, windy, thunder and lightning, but not much rain yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's suddenly very windy in Leeds for no apparent reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much finished here now. It lasted about an hour. If you get the dark sky and wind then about 20 mins later you should get some heavy rain if it follows the same pattern as here.

Mind you, we are on the southern slope of the low hill (Humber bank/northern wolds) which might make us more prone to getting the rain from weather systems. 

 

 

 

Edited by OldLandRover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello 

Just popping in from up north to see how you guys are getting on with the storms and i couldn't help but to notice the page number on this thread 321 someone must have really upset the mods in here.come on mods i know the hot weather can make people lethargic but that's no way to treat the people of yorkshire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, had a really cracking storm here over the last hour or so.
Almost constant lightening, loud thunder, squally winds and torrential rain.
Still feels muggy so far though.

B.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its now '10.30 pm dark', fairly continuous thunder, quite a few flashes, and gusty winds, but still very little rain, just been out to the shed and the ground is hardly wet. Then as I am typing heavens have just opened... Trying to work out which way winds are are going, clouds moving West to East as is ground level, but storms appear to be moving South to North.

So much for see lunar eclipse...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its very windy in kirkless like constant gusts out of no where whats happening lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is still raining here, albeit only moderately heavy. However I think by the end of the night it'll have taken our rainfall to about 30mm in 2 days, the garden is heaving a huge sigh of relief ?

Pressure seems to be up and down like a yoyo at the moment, not sure if w/s is playing up. Had dropped to 1000mb at start of storm then back to 1003, then back down again. Quite a drop from 2 days ago when it was showing 1018mb.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OldLandRover said:

Pressure seems to be up and down like a yoyo at the moment, not sure if w/s is playing up. Had dropped to 1000mb at start of storm then back to 1003, then back down again. Quite a drop from 2 days ago when it was showing 1018mb.

I think pressure fluctuations during severe storms are to be expected, after all the gusty winds require a pressure differential to drive them, with wind flowing into the low pressure area.

We are now under an amber Metoffice warning in common with the rest of the east coast.

Edited by mike57
error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mike57 said:

I think pressure fluctuations during severe storms are to be expected, after all the gusty winds require a pressure differential to drive them, with wind flowing into the low pressure area.

We are now under an amber Metoffice warning in common with the rest of the east coast.

Thanks Mike,

I haven't noticed it behave so erratically before, mind you we haven't had a decent thunderstorm for years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at rain radar and sat 24 it may not be game over yet for south and west yourkshire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Winter Cold said:

It's a bust for West and south Yorkshire I'm afraid. Everything too far East!

Danm it :(

It thundered and lightened in doncaster at 6pm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • The Jet Stream is coming next week, bringing Autumn with it

    It had to happen at some point, and from Tuesday next weeka0Autumn proper is going to arrive. The jet stream will be diving south, bringing low pressure systems right across the UK which means a change to much less settled and also cooler weather. Read the full update here

    Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

    Michael Fish: Autumn proper on the way

    Michael Fish returns with his latest weekly forecast, and there's a big change on the way. The weekend and start of next week will keep the sunny, warm and mostly dry weather coming before low pressure makes its move and brings a change to much more Autumnal weather.a0 Watch the video here

    Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...