Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Yup a blank for us just far too south once again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Sheffield misses out AGAIN!!! Now theres a surprise......... :cray::angry:

Posted
9 minutes ago, mike57 said:

A distant rumble of thunder about 30 mins ago, a quite a few more since, now coming in quite dark, and checking the radar looks like we may get something here, am I leaving the 'no storms 2017' club tonight? Looks like the Wolds south of Malton are having some downpours radar is showing 150mm/hour in places

Now a fairly steady rumbling, and lightning visible to the NW of us, about 3 miles away using the 5 second rule, and spotting with rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, mike57 said:

Now a fairly steady rumbling, and lightning visible to the NW of us, about 3 miles away using the 5 second rule, and spotting with rain

Best storm I've ever seen at home today, neighbour got 40mm in his rain gauge in 1 hr 30 mins.

Roads flooded all around Malton and this area, came across a tree that had been hit by lightning on Malton to Beverley road.

Neighbours garage was flooded and power has just come back on, NetWeather radar totals suggesting over 100mm to my North.

Capture2.thumb.PNG.9c26c2d0b0d6cb867192574c51e08492.PNGimage2.thumb.jpg.fa8c3fb5e18d37bd7e9e54dea3d73445.jpgimage5.thumb.jpg.7f82d27bcf05199fccc566fb09bd8d32.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

your very lucky @vizzy2004 :p

Just looked at radar now and its all kicking off to the south of Sheffield now!!!! first lot too far north and this lot too far south. so frustrating!

Sheffield should be a storm hot spot next to the mountains but its the complete opposite, im done with this city lol

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted
5 minutes ago, Winter Cold said:

your very lucky @vizzy2004 :p

Just looked at radar now and its all kicking off to the south of Sheffield now!!!! first lot too far north and this lot too far south. so frustrating!

Sheffield should be a storm hot spot next to the mountains but its the complete opposite, im done with this city lol

So gutted power went off as my weather station console runs off mains, and my live IP camera recording the storm, lesson learnt will have battery back up from now on. :wallbash:

Posted

My wife videoed the storm out of our kitchen window which faces west/north west, I extracted these two from the video, 2nd one looks better on the video I will try and snip it out and post it

2017-07-06 from video 1.jpg

2017-06-07 from video 2.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

So gutted power went off as my weather station console runs off mains, and my live IP camera recording the storm, lesson learnt will have battery back up from now on. :wallbash:

Power went off here too and router wouldn't connect when it came back up.
Had to do a restore router settings from saved file - worrying moment as twice before have had power surges damage stuff through phone line.
Luckily I'd changed batteries in console about a month ago as they were about pooped after about 7 years.

We had almost 30mm in well under an hour.
Tried to look at other local stations and it's shocking how many don't do rain - Netamo?
Total here was highest I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Although still no sign of any thunderstorms we may get some stormy weather from the approaching front. However squall lines like Thunderstorms have a predictable habit of breaking up as they reach here and then rebuild once past.

Posted

Ahh well front fizzling out as it approaches clear skies from the east spreading back as the front slowly weakens the rain band getting narrower.

Posted
4 hours ago, The PIT said:

Ahh well front fizzling out as it approaches clear skies from the east spreading back as the front slowly weakens the rain band getting narrower.

It's making up for it now through as it's been belting it down for the last hour or so.

Posted

Again any thundery activity dies away as it approaches us. Story of the year.

• Like 1

Posted

Just had a really heavy shower pass over Malton it only rained for about 5 mins but during that time it left a lot of surface water. No thunderstorms in it. I can see the line of rain on the radar. Showing 150mm hour in spots

Posted

And it's caused a small landslip on the York Scarborough railway near Kirkham Abbey

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Heavy showers this afternoon, just had a very clear double rainbow, managed to take pictures, which have come out OK. Posted in Gallery

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mike57 said:

Heavy showers this afternoon, just had a very clear double rainbow, managed to take pictures, which have come out OK. Posted in Gallery

Managed to avoid the heavy showers here today Mike, just far enough inland to miss out.

Expecting a cold night tonight with frost hollows getting down to mid single figures, will be checking early doors for Thixendale, Low Mill, Helmsley, Chopgate and Dalby Forest weather stations to see how cold we get :)

Posted

7.6c here overnight which felt very nice indeed.

Usual hollows across the region down to 5c, one of which I visited in the Yorkshire Wolds where there was a layer of shallow mist across the valley bottom.

thix1.thumb.jpg.a44bb3222d72e6c1aee273c78e9745e6.jpgthix2.thumb.jpg.80c86cbab31a93c7047702ba8efe350b.jpgthix3.thumb.jpg.5257f98fe5aa35a62eb3ebca1da7ae97.jpgthix4.thumb.jpg.39818e0389d039b5297c21f2ab281f5a.jpgthix5.thumb.jpg.1b1531eed52a492bee74f0639a2d945e.jpg

Coldest weather station I could find was Low Dalby in Dalby Forest which had a minimum of 4.7c overnight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
6 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

7.6c here overnight which felt very nice indeed.

Usual hollows across the region down to 5c, one of which I visited in the Yorkshire Wolds where there was a layer of shallow mist across the valley bottom.

thix1.thumb.jpg.a44bb3222d72e6c1aee273c78e9745e6.jpgthix2.thumb.jpg.80c86cbab31a93c7047702ba8efe350b.jpgthix3.thumb.jpg.5257f98fe5aa35a62eb3ebca1da7ae97.jpgthix4.thumb.jpg.39818e0389d039b5297c21f2ab281f5a.jpgthix5.thumb.jpg.1b1531eed52a492bee74f0639a2d945e.jpg

Coldest weather station I could find was Low Dalby in Dalby Forest which had a minimum of 4.7c overnight.

Goodness me, looks like now you have a changing hut at the cricket ground Thixendale CC moving with the times ! I remember visiting there when the only changing room was in the back of the car ! Great place and a hidden gem to the world. Bet its a deep cold frost hollow when in thick snow cover and no wind.

C

• 1 month later...
Posted

BBC forecasting gusts of 56mph here, cant see it happening, but my anemometer is on my chimney to check their forecast accuracy :D

Posted

Sadly downgraded by the GFS today with the main energy reserved east of here. For us sunny Sheffield a few gusts to lower 50's before it moves away. Basically blink or snore loudly and you've missed it jobby.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Sadly downgraded by the GFS today with the main energy reserved east of here. For us sunny Sheffield a few gusts to lower 50's before it moves away. Basically blink or snore loudly and you've missed it jobby.

Absolutely PIT, what's the amber warning for ???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
5 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Just after midnight in Wakefield. No significant wind yet.

The strongest winds are still over SW Wales and are not due to hit untill the early hours Paul

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

• Like 1