Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

System went too far north . I must of been on southern edge and I was in middle of amber . Couple of inches on the ground so not too bad

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

We now have a covering in Bridlington which we had  nothing half hour ago hoping it keeps up ???

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale

Maybe 3 cm here on the edge of the Dales.

Posted

About 2 cm here, everything covered. Il take that, a nice base before snow showers later. I think looking at radar where I work just 5 miles away will have double that. Not going to be annoyed as my biggest fear was waking up to zilch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
31 minutes ago, swfc said:

Has Sheffield missed the snow? ??

Woke up for a peek and it looks like the Amber Warning is a bust for South Yorkshire as we have virtually nothing here and not a great deal on the radar at the moment but on the plus side this has to be the wintriest outlook I have ever seen on a short term Met Office update!  :cold:

Let's hope we can rely on it as it sounds amazing!

Headline:

Bitterly cold with frequent and heavy snow showers.

Today:

Frequent heavy snow showers through the day, interspersed with bright spells. Significant snow accumulations in places. It will be bitterly cold as a strong easterly wind develops,which will lead to drifting snow and an increasing wind chill. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Tonight:

Frequent heavy snow showers will continue through the night, with the easterly wind continuing to strengthen. It will be extremely cold with a widespread severe frost. Minimum temperature -8 °C.

Wednesday:

Snow showers continuing through the day, leading to significant accumulations in places. It will be an exceptionally cold day with many places remaining below freezing, and a bitter easterly wind. Maximum temperature 0 °C.

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Exceptionally cold for the time of year, windy with frequent, heavy snow showers and penetrating night frosts. Significant snow accumulations are likely with blizzard conditions and drifting. Winds easing Saturday.

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Can't believe there was an amber warning for that. What a load of rubbish. 2, maybe 3 cm.

And now the Met Office show heavy snow tomorrow from 5am to 2pm! :rofl: They can get stuffed. Absolute cobblers.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow

I've nearly a foot!!..I have a new scale of height measurement...... foot, leg and rump of the sheep in the field next door.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The feline from the east and just a dusting from yesterday looking like we will miss out in this cold spell once more. Local forecast shows nothing of note after today.

Posted
2 minutes ago, tornado tams said:

I've nearly a foot!!..I have a new scale of height measurement...... foot, leg and rump of the sheep in the field next door.

God that made me chuckle 

grass, roads cars covered etc... Still snowing nice big flakes albeit slowly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Bit ridiculous really amber warning? ??People trying to forecast for the low at the weekend and the 12 hour one is bust haha

Posted
8 minutes ago, The PIT said:

The feline from the east and just a dusting from yesterday looking like we will miss out in this cold spell once more. Local forecast shows nothing of note after today.

Have you not seen the latest Met Office update for Yorkshire?!  As I said above I have never seen a more wintry short term outlook than that!!

Frequent snow showers penetrating frost bitter winds -8c in some parts tonight and an ice day tomorrow.

It doesn't much more extreme than that in the UK at the end of February!

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
6 minutes ago, Tinker Bell said:

God that made me chuckle 

grass, roads cars covered etc... Still snowing nice big flakes albeit slowly

Where are you

Edited by swfc

Posted
1 minute ago, swfc said:

Bit ridiculous really amber warning? ??People trying to forecast for the low at the weekend and the 12 hour one is bust haha

That doesn't look like that will happen now as the push northwards declines. Lot of hype on beeb this morning.

Posted
2 minutes ago, swfc said:

Yes it looked like a non event for us here in South Yorkshire even last night.

The next few days still look amazing though so I am not writing off this cold spell until the fat lady is singing for her life!!  :rofl:

Posted

For some parts of our region, that's the third amber warning this winter that has been a bust. You can hardly blame the general public for being sceptical of such forecasts when they always seem to be wrong!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow

A big hug for everyone, we are all feeling the same I think, my hubby is so going to take the proverbial out of me (I took him out shopping for the bunker). Roll on massive thunder storms in the summer.

Yes I have snow, but for a while there was the chance that I would have seen head high drifts of my youth.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Have you not seen the latest Met Office update for Yorkshire?!  As I said above I have never seen a more wintry short term outlook than that!!

Yup for us apart from today nothing of note.

Posted
Just now, The PIT said:

Yup for us apart from today nothing of note.

Ok well the Met Office have forecast otherwise so if an ice day tomorrow with strong Easterly winds and heavy snow showers is nothing of note then you are a very hard person to please!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Yes another comedy Amber warning from the Met. That said, I do have a covering, although as in the previous falls this winter, it hasn' quite covered the grass so it doesn't quite cut it for me. I really hope these showers actually happen from the East now, if only to keep sausage quiet! 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Ok well the Met Office have forecast otherwise so if an ice day tomorrow with strong Easterly winds and heavy snow showers is nothing of note then you are a very hard person to please!

After today's bust I doubt many people are going to take notice of the Met office's forecasts. 

Posted

This is what I posted in the NW thread yesterday about that amber warning. Their preciptation model didn't fit in with the area of the amber warning. I don't get the thinking. We've had warnings on this side of the Pennines that have gone bust this winter.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Here we sit, in an easterly, with areas west of the Pennines getting pasted while there's just a sugar coating here. Hopefully the showers are potent later because you couldn't make it up so far!