Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
7 minutes ago, Snowday said:

All of the snow symbols have disappeared for both Sunday night, all day Monday and all day Thursday from the Met Office for my area. Tuesday is stop and start with Wednesday now being the most promising day. What a damp squib. ?

Yes some of the heavy snow showers for my area have changed , think they will change up until the last minute!

Posted
7 minutes ago, sausage said:

typical. fed up of this nonsense now. no doubt we will miss the much hyped mon nights snow now too.  something so special onto nothing. why the hell were bbc forecasters inc tomasz ramping it up all night!! frigin heck. gutted.

oh I think you have taken @terrier 's place and you've switched personalities lol :) our region is still expected to do well some more than others! just enjoy the ride! 

• Thanks 1

but everyone was saying we'd not just do well but brilliant considering these synoptics on offer. wanted to ramp last night. good job i didnt. feel so deflated this morning. pros say one thing, gfs another, experts on here another n then apps say nothing will even happen.

Posted

It does make you wonder what will or won't come, our region has had a lot of false weather warnings this winter. I live in North Lincs but travel by train to work from an office in York on Mondays and Tuesdays and I'm out on site in Beverley on weds morning do I've a lot to think about with these weather warnings, I'm wary of attempting to go to York on Tuesday in case I get stranded. It's hard to know whether we can trust the warnings or not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

oh I think you have taken @terrier 's place and you've switched personalities lol :) our region is still expected to do well some more than others! just enjoy the ride! 

Exactly, in this setup accurately predicting actual snowfall is extremely difficult even 36 hours ahead. Of course one location will do better than other, but to try and pinpoint those 2-3 days in advance is a waste of time. As it stands it's almost certain everywhere in Yorkshire will see snow over the next five days, (but how much is impossible to be precise about), and right now towards the end of next week is looking very interesting for our area (but this of course could well change).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

You guys are really complaining? You live on the east of the Pennines. That’s all the information you need in this setup...

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
49 minutes ago, Snowday said:

All of the snow symbols have disappeared for both Sunday night, all day Monday and all day Thursday from the Met Office for my area. Tuesday is stop and start with Wednesday now being the most promising day. What a damp squib. ?

Don't believe the apps!  We will have snow showers pushing in from tonight and then gradually becoming heavier and more widespread throughout tomorrow.

There will then be a period of more prolonged snow Tuesday morning which should give most of the region a covering.

Then as we head into Tuesday night the convection should should really ramp up as the isobars tighten and the coldest of the uppers are funneled West (thundersnow anyone)?

That should take us through to Thursday and then Friday anything is possible including a huge blizzard from the South!

Saturday is too far out to be concerned with at the moment but the Meto app is suggesting temperatures barely above freezing and an ongoing snow risk!  :yahoo:

Screenshot_20180225-094938.thumb.jpg.3c360ad15246219996a2fea0df40066b.jpg

Plus this update from the Meto for our region is just about the wintriest I have ever seen so no not really a damp squib!  :rofl:

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Bitterly cold and turning increasingly windy, with penetrating night frosts. Frequent, occasionally heavy snow showers giving significant accumulations for many, with drifting.

:cold::cold:

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.
16 minutes ago, sausage said:

but everyone was saying we'd not just do well but brilliant considering these synoptics on offer. wanted to ramp last night. good job i didnt. feel so deflated this morning. pros say one thing, gfs another, experts on here another n then apps say nothing will even happen.

It's notoriously difficult to forecast snow unless like Friday it's more of a certainty. Those north sea showers are going to be a case of radar watching I suspect. 

What will be will be. 

6 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

You guys are really complaining? You live on the east of the Pennines. That’s all the information you need in this setup...

Only sausage is complaining, and he seriously needs to get a grip and stop looking at bloody apps for accurate forecasts!

As you say east of the Pennines is often excellent in this setup. Nowcast all the way, folks. As Lee says enjoy the ride.

@sausage calm down, dear!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
Just now, Reverse Zonality said:

Only sausage is complaining, and he seriously needs to get a grip and stop looking at bloody apps for accurate forecasts!

As you say east of the Pennines is often excellent in this setup. Nowcast all the way, folks. As Lee says enjoy the ride.

@sausage calm down, dear!

Indeed.  Don't be a silly @sausage and just enjoy the ride!  You will do very well this week I am confident!

Posted

That feature coming down from the north east is going to slide through the middle of Yorkshire. Upgraded on the local forecast and can tell the centre of the feature passes through South Yorkshire with the temperature going up to 0c

Screenshot_20180225-095313.thumb.png.87658552131e0833f5a74ccdb2a2be12.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Reverse Zonality said:

Yes Craig it could prove to be a little tricky on the morning work commute!

*crosses fingers for snow day*

And this is only the start of the surprises for the rest of the week :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

IIRC sausage lives in Leeds, and at the moment most models are showing that feature splitting in two as it approaches, leaving West Yorkshire dry and snowless - so I can understand why he's annoyed. Areas further south should do better, especially East Yorks and north Lincs.

For Leeds, I'm hedging my bets on Friday - we'll need lots of shower activity spreading well inland otherwise.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

So the met office app shows no snow on Monday for my area yet I am in the snow weather warning area for that day, does this mean that the app takes the data automatically from latest models whereas the weather warning has human input making it more realistic ?  It seems daft that met office seems to contradict itself 

1 minute ago, cheese said:

IIRC sausage lives in Leeds, and at the moment most models are showing that feature splitting in two as it approaches, leaving West Yorkshire dry and snowless - so I can understand why he's annoyed. 

It may slip further south than S Yorks as well. Perhaps a N Mids event. Another event we're not close enough to yet to reliably track!

On another note, trough out in the N Sea waiting in the wings could give us a snowy Wednesday...

PPVK89.gif.8cb535ef58e25a990bedbba5ad0df

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
9 minutes ago, Craigers said:

That feature coming down from the north east is going to slide through the middle of Yorkshire. Upgraded on the local forecast and can tell the centre of the feature passes through South Yorkshire with the temperature going up to 0c

Screenshot_20180225-095313.thumb.png.87658552131e0833f5a74ccdb2a2be12.png

Yeah, that feature could be a winner if you live in Yorkshire - though it does do a weird split for some reason - so that's something to watch for.  Lapse rates look quite impressive for Tuesday, particularly along the coast - real possibility of Thundersnow for us and helpful in keeping the showers going well inland.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

IIRC sausage lives in Leeds, and at the moment most models are showing that feature splitting in two as it approaches, leaving West Yorkshire dry and snowless - so I can understand why he's annoyed. Areas further south should do better, especially East Yorks and north Lincs.

For Leeds, I'm hedging my bets on Friday - we'll need lots of shower activity spreading well inland otherwise.

I'll try find the Leeds Snow Shield and send it somewhere else...

Hoping for something special but i'm doubting the 1995 Jan depth will be surpassed for another Winter. Main thing is it gives me hope of this setup occuring in say late Dec or in Jan one upcoming Winter. It'll happpen eventually.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Just Before Dawn said:

Yeah, that feature could be a winner if you live in Yorkshire - though it does do a weird split for some reason - so that's something to watch for.  Lapse rates look quite impressive for Tuesday, particularly along the coast - real possibility of Thundersnow for us and helpful in keeping the showers going well inland.  

I think the split is because of the North York Moors, I had an inkling they'd be a nuisance.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

I'll try find the Leeds Snow Shield and send it somewhere else...

Hoping for something special but i'm doubting the 1995 Jan depth will be surpassed for another Winter. Main thing is it gives me hope of this setup occuring in say late Dec or in Jan one upcoming Winter. It'll happpen eventually.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say Jan 1995 is safe for another year! Though as I said, I'm keeping an eye on Friday.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Friday looking the day with possible Blizzards across the region. Then it's up int he air how much milder it will get.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the event on Friday progresses.

However, anything can happen from this kind of setup between now and Thursday. I'm hoping for something to form and stall over the region, or keeps feeding itself from the Humber.

• Like 1