Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

I have just about had my fill of posters on the MOD thread telling me what altitude I will need for snow from a polar westerly.

I have seen enough to know what to expect not from someone on the south coast or wherever telling me.

This one looks unstable with thunder and disturbances.

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Anyone got any thoughts on our snow chances next week? The cold will be there, but will we get a decent amount of the white stuff actually settling for more than 2hrs...?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Looking good next week for are neck of woods especially more west you are. Strong winds should shower quite east i imagine, thanks to the wind strengths and angle. But like i said i think western parts should have a lot of potential :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......
1 hour ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Looking good next week for are neck of woods especially more west you are. Strong winds should shower quite east i imagine, thanks to the wind strengths and angle. But like i said i think western parts should have a lot of potential :)

I'm at 100m asl or so, but work is near 200m so hoping for something! For those who need to get there from over the Pennines even moreso.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

hull and east Yorkshire probably mainly dry next week,as per usual with a north westerly.come back straight northerlies all is forgiven.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Things starting to look really quite wintry especially for South and West Yorkshire based on today's runs for next week.

A very potent flow expected and I am starting to think some Pennine areas could become cut off by the end of next week.  I wouldn't be surprised to see extensive road closures and possible power cuts etc for those areas.

Lower down on this side of the Pennines should be a little more sheltered from the flow but even here I would suggest that a covering of snow is possible at times especially at night in any heavier showers and streamers with areas from Leeds down to Sheffield and the East Midlands most at risk of this.

Should be some cracking weather for all next week and if you are a weather enthusiast it should be pretty exciting as it is not often the upper air is so cold for such a sustained period.  Expect everything from rain sleet snow hail thunder lightning and maybe even some sunshine!  :cold:

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters

Hope you are right Kentish Snowman, I was just looking at the 18z and our southern friends are becoming quite interested on the runner lows. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Might get some wintry showers I suspect, but not much else. Any lows will go to our south as they always do, so no point getting excited.

I'm completely sick of winter now to be honest. My attention is increasingly turning towards spring.. hopefully a warm and sunny one.

Edited by cheese

Posted
33 minutes ago, cheese said:

Might get some wintry showers I suspect, but not much else. Any lows will go to our south as they always do, so no point getting excited.

I'm completely sick of winter now to be honest. My attention is increasingly turning towards spring.. hopefully a warm and sunny one.

Chin up Cheese!  We should do pretty well even this side of the Pennines as the uppers seem to be falling with each run and the flow seems almost a direct Westerly at times which will suit us fine.

For what it's worth I am expecting at least some accumulating snow next week due to the convection which should have no trouble crossing over the Pennines due to the strength and instability of the flow.

I can see the potential for a couple of feet of snow in places just to our West like Buxton and Glossop by the end of next week!  :bomb:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Well when the Met get more in line with what we think we see I will get exited.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

The Netweather 14 day forecast (which is just latest GFS output I believe) illustrates the snow situation rather well.

For my Location from 3pm on Monday its heavy snow every day, apart from 2 days until the end of the 14 days. Won't happen but illustrates that we may be on the cusp of an event.

Posted
12 minutes ago, cowdog said:

The Netweather 14 day forecast (which is just latest GFS output I believe) illustrates the snow situation rather well.

For my Location from 3pm on Monday its heavy snow every day, apart from 2 days until the end of the 14 days. Won't happen but illustrates that we may be on the cusp of an event.

and the netweather forecast has me for 12 hours of snow from Tuesday 6am to Wednesday 6am! we shall see! 

I do think something special is on the way like you say! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS seems to think i get 36 hours of snow on Tuesday but as per a few posts up it's reliant on showers and streamers. 

Folks around Leeds should be optimistic for some snow (we've done okay out of pretty westerly flows in the past, most notably xmas day 04 and 16th Dec 10) but i suspect it'll be occasional showers and no more than an inch rather than anything persistent.

• Like 1

Posted

Oh dear some woeful model output this morning!  Temperatures look chilly enough for some wintry showers at fairly low levels between Monday evening and Wednesday evening before heavy rain gales and milder temperatures sweep in and then again from Thursday evening through to Saturday evening looks chilly before much milder temperatures barrel in courtesy of the Azores High!

ECM keeps the faith a little more but I wouldn't place too much stock in that against most of the other models.

In summary snow showers are possible both before and after the mid week low moves across our region but the whole setup is much watered down compared to the charts we were seeing just a day or two ago.  I would like to say plenty of time for upgrades but they rarely materialise at such short notice!  :nonono:

Posted

For all the doom and gloom this morning the GFS is still suggesting that Tuesday and Friday will deliver even if shower activity. 

Generally horrid week in the feel though, wind chill often below zero and fairly strong.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days

Just to get this thread going again as we have an interesting week ahead up here in the north. 

Although the models aren't quite looking at good as they did yesterday, The actual forcast are looking better for us northwest folk at least for Monday night going into Tuesday then into Wednesday. at this stage it looks most likely to be heavy Snow showers some slightly more persistent at times even to lower levels. However elevation may be a key factor again as to how much and for how long. 

Anyone with any thoughts? 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well Snow isn't go to the main feature this week for us it's looking like a stormy Wednesday night and into Thursday morning. Once that has passed through it's looking mostly dry and cold for us in South and East Yorkshire. Best bet for any snow later Tuesday and early Wednesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

the BBC show gust of 62mph on Thursday here, still too far out to be certain but it's very rare for the BBC to show such speeds in their forecasts, especially inland.