Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

1 minute ago, sausage said:

agree met office fail. was excited for a little snow. looks like non at all. n i dont believe in all this wait til january. it will be jan 1st n then everyone saying ooh its so toasty up there just wait until feb etc. if just ridiculous how we cant get snow. chuffing uppers! poor wording by the met!!

Think the uppers is why the Met have been concerned about the freezing rain risk. It has never looked likely that snow would be the problem, away from high elevations/ prone routes over the hills, etc. #

I think some folks aren't reading warning text in any real detail, see the word snow and just presume it's a guarantee for them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
3 minutes ago, sausage said:

agree met office fail. was excited for a little snow. looks like non at all. n i dont believe in all this wait til january. it will be jan 1st n then everyone saying ooh its so toasty up there just wait until feb etc. if just ridiculous how we cant get snow. chuffing uppers! poor wording by the met!!

Your like this every winter sausage. Met never forecast heavy snow for our region. It was more about the freezing rain. Chill out. January is still looking good. I’m sure you will get your fix at some point this winter. Met have called today spot on in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun
2 minutes ago, terrier said:

Your like this every winter sausage. Met never forecast heavy snow for our region. It was more about the freezing rain. Chill out. January is still looking good. I’m sure you will get your fix at some point this winter. Met have called today spot on in my opinion. 

Agreed, and it's really messy, for here the Met Office have:

Now - Heavy rain (correct)

15.00 - Light rain

16.00 - Light snow

17.00 - Heavy snow

18.00 - Heavy rain

19.00 - Heavy snow

20.00 - Overcast

What a mess!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Not freezing here but then saying that the frost is still there on the grass in parts so it must be freezing in some bits. Snow was never on the cards I said that the other day. Freezing rain was though and we might be getting away with it generally here. Time will tell. Oh the Davis isn't registering any rain so that must be frozen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
40 minutes ago, sausage said:

Today:

Increasingly windy and feeling bitterly cold, with coastal gales. A mix of rain, snow and freezing rain will move in during the afternoon, generating blizzards and icy conditions, mainly over high ground but perhaps at low levels too. Maximum temperature 3 °C.

So mainly on high ground is what the Met actually said. Moving on, certainly freezing rain here in Garforth (86m asl) in so much that it's freezing on the bins, metal garden furniture and cars. Not sure about other surfaces yet as there hasn't really been enough falling so far. Anyway, the Amber warning kicks in at 3pm so let's see what the evening brings! It's definitely cold I can tell you! 

BB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Freezing rain here in Greystones, the pavements are lethal.

Edited by Pipine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
30 minutes ago, cheese said:

Can confirm that there is freezing rain in Leeds. Bin lids have iced over.

I wouldn't let my kids out in this weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Lights flickering at the moment, could do without a power cut today, a bit cold to be without power.........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Ventured out, paths are beginning to get slippy. Interestingly it's freezing on the lawn as well. Also on the tarp on my rabbits hutch...20181215_150007.thumb.jpg.d3a06e53e2b6f90cd2f21a262c607d66.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
2 minutes ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

Lights flickering at the moment, could do without a power cut today, a bit cold to be without power.........

Yes we've just had a flicker too

Posted

Yes, can confirm freezing rain in shirecliffe Sheffield. Bins and cars covered in ice! Pavements seem ok so far .... I think but not going to check just yet....it’s just too cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Sounds like some serious conditions developing in areas over West Yorkshire in particular. Stay safe everyone!

Air temp remains above freezing here so suspect we might just get some sleety rain, but will report back once it arrives.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Had my lights flicker and UPS switch back and fourth to battery a few times in LS15... It's raining but doesn't appear to be freezing rain.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Freezing rain here. Everything now has a few mm thick layer of ice. Really not fun, can see a lot of accidents happening because of this and people not paying attention.

Met office got it right and if anything might need to upgrade the warning for West Yorkshire / South Yorkshire to be red to try and stop people going out.

Edited by cowdog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Freezing in odd spots. The rain gauge has a layer of ice as does parts of the patio and pond lining. The frost on the grass has a layer of ice on it. garden path in places. One of these cases which will catch people out.