ajpoolshark

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted (edited)

Amber warning was definitely merited here. The roads were treacherous earlier. The sun was melting the snow between showers, then it refroze before the next shower of ice marbles/graupel covered it up.

Even the Land Rover on winter tyres was not as surefooted as it would normally be in normal snow (albeit in 2WD), our jap pickup on all season tyres was a mare in rear wheel drive, had to engage 4WD to get up our road. Visibility was also down to 50 feet at times in those blizzards. 

Now have a good inch of snow over whole garden and temp has dropped to -2c

Edited by OldLandRover
  • Like 1

That gap south of Sheffield is filling up again! Fax charts shows the streamer to organise more towards midnight. 

Met office spot on well done

Can't believe the difference after 4pm 2-3 inches blizzard like conditions, eldest lad at Wakefield v Widnes must be called off soon 

Evening All

Every squall that blows in off the sea , Cleethorpes,seems to be ramping up slightly . Flash of Lightning about 20 mins ago towards the outskirts of Grimsby. Still that powdery pellet snow though.

Cheers Glenn 

Looks like a new streamer is building inline with the Humber out in the north sea

• Like 1

just got back in from sledging and bike riding with the kids (me pulling them on sledge tied to bike most of time 😂) 

Had my fun so it can do what it wants now lol 

45 minutes ago, shetland islands said:

Well constant showers, but nothing to warrant an Amber Warning yet. I thought the showers were meant to merge to produce longer spells of snow this evening in our region? Maybe still time....

Bar main roads the snow has beaten the grit here so it is at least an event with impact for travel. That would tend to warrant a warning. 

Around an inch on the grass now. The snow has blown off most hard surfaces so it doesnt appear as impressive on roads and pavements.

Nearly Blizzard conditions outside right now winds just too light but more heavy snow.

Only about 2 miles north of the big showers at the moment (guiseley), painfully close

What an amazing gap that some of us have!! 😒😬

Roads are horrific out,  Scunthorpe is like an ice rink including major roads, accidents everywhere from here to Humber Bridge because of it. Police are getting the gritters to come out to the A15 because no gritting has been attempted today. Car was sliding around at times and scares me to death - glad to be safely back home,stay indoors tonight if you can peeps.

Thank goodness i got back from Cadbury World in time because it looks the Amber warning this time was justified as it's turning into an evening where if you don't have to go out, DON'T!

Wow, blizzard and thunder & Lightening here !
I was looking out the curtains just at the right moment for the bright flash.

B.  

• Like 1

Snowing heavily again now winds too light for blizzard conditions but still pretty nasty out there. No one been up our road for bit but should be passable with a gentle foot.

• Like 1

Unbelievable whiteout here in the Leeds streamer. A proper blizzard with gale force gusts. The rabbits are in the conservatory tonight! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bazookabob said:

Unbelievable whiteout here in the Leeds streamer. A proper blizzard with gale force gusts. The rabbits are in the conservatory tonight! 

Yes, very good snowfall. Blowing about wildly. 

Are there any webcams for ny moors? The area has been covered with heavy snow showers all day. Must be quite a covering by now.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sunny_AS said:

I feel your pain. Still plenty of time but we could just be in that unlucky area. Just need the wind to shift ever so slightly more. 🤞

that system from the south east is pepin up the shower activity around Lincolnshire 

55 minutes ago, Sunny_AS said:

I can't believe it.  It's so excruciating. I'm talking missing out consistently by a mm on the radar. Please snow God's shut the gap.

• Like 1