Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Light snow in Barnsley.  Already got a dusting settled, which is more than we got yesterday! 

FDEA8AAC-A138-40F2-809D-FEF56CD90497.jpeg

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Woke up to a light dusting, I'm at Kirkheaton, Huddersfield. It's pretty but won't be a school snow day. Hoping higher up will have had slightly more.

Edited by de88ie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Yes I woke to the slightest of dustings.  In fact there was actually some snow coming down that was falling with such an intensity that had it continued I would have had a decent covering.....by March!  

Looks like that trough I mentioned last night passed / died out just to our Southwest meaning this is the scene in Buxton......

Screenshot_20190130-070314_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted

A pretty icing sugar dusting on our roads too here in Sheffield S11 (SW of the city centre, I think).  Our street tends to keep snow for longer partly because it's a steep dead-end road.  Makes for some hairy driving onto the next street but it wasnt too bad this morning.  Now let's see what Thursday into Friday can bring

Posted
4 hours ago, K9 said:

..first venture into the regionals after a few months riding the disappointing model output forum 'hunt for something remotely cold' rollercoaster !...another big build  up and an even bigger let down ..all gone waaaaay way south..so far south that those snow clouds are gonna need a passport!..a pants 'winter' so far here in Gods own county...but there's always February ..right???..anyway..enough moaning..what will be will be ..hats off to all those that post their forecasts on here ...makes for great reading ...here's hoping for at least one decent fall of the white stuff before our thoughts turn to warmer months!!

I'd just like to second the appreciation for what you model enthusiasts do - thank-you for sharing your ideas and for helping us novices to attempt to understand what is clearly a very complex science

Posted

No snow here in North Lincs last night however it rained until late yesterday and then overnight the temp dropped to -3c (still -1.8c now), the result is seriously icy roads, very slippy out there!

We had 2" of snow on the ground for two days last week and had a light covering a couple of times over last two months so can't really complain too much, better than many winters of late but I'm still very optimistic and expect a couple more snow days before this winter is out.

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Sunny_AS said:

Looks like we need a low pressure system to be forecasted near the Shetlands 5 days out for it to hit Yorkshire on the day ...

Yep agreed!  6z ICON has shifted the band of snow further south again with only a fragmented band reaching a line mid-Wales across to the Wash.  it shows the heaviest precip is now reserved for southern coastal counties only.  ICON also shows the next possible snow for our region to be as a front crosses West to East Sunday evening and overnight.  A few days ago it showed it as quite a vigorous feature with heavy rain but it seems the cold air is holding on longer and causing the front to weaken as it moves across the country. GFS 00z was still showing this as rain, so lets’s see if this changes on the 6z.

Edited by SouthYorks

Posted

Interesting that the updated Meto weather warning issued this morning still covers South and West Yorkshire for snow tomorrow!  Have to say I’m not convinced we will see anything....

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Light Without Heat said:

Ok I'll put these out there as possible/maybe candidates - just a matter of bring me the horizon. 'SSW Downwelling' seems to be the new phrase. Write Thursday off and keep the faith.

215373274_viewimage(25).webp

CF5B626E-2F4F-4B82-9F9C-BB03B0FF6BE2.webp

Can't see images 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Possibility of some snow showers coming into the east of our region on Friday morning after the low passes through and we drag in an easterly wind. Showing up now on both Hirlam and Euro4. Looks like being the best shot for eastern parts of N & E Yorks.

hirlamuk-1-44-0.png?30-11

Edited by Cold Winter
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Light Without Heat said:

Ok I'll put these out there as possible/maybe candidates - just a matter of bring me the horizon. 'SSW Downwelling' seems to be the new phrase. Write Thursday off and keep the faith.

215373274_viewimage(25).jpg

CF5B626E-2F4F-4B82-9F9C-BB03B0FF6BE2.jpg

Yep, mad thread picked up another Easterly at day 10.  Let the chase begin! ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Cold Winter said:

Possibility of some snow showers coming into the east of our region on Friday morning after the low passes through and we drag in an easterly wind. Showing up now on both Hirlam and Euro4. Looks like being the best shot for eastern parts of N & E Yorks.

hirlamuk-1-44-0.png?30-11

MetO have issued weather warning for these. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
5 minutes ago, wayne.1982 said:

MetO have issued weather warning for these. 

Yes, they mention "rain sleet and snow" showers but let's be optimistic for once 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Cold Winter said:

Yes, they mention "rain sleet and snow" showers but let's be optimistic for once 

We have to be these days These rain, sorry snow showers will produce more then that front ?️❄️

Posted

If we cant get snow this is the next best thing beautiful sunny days with frost and ice. Would take an week of this instead of will it wont it marginal rain/sleet maybe an few flakes of snow events anyday.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Incredibly depressing to see that the front will not reach here now and indeed there is (bar a small chance on friday) no chance of anything falling for a week or so. 

On the snow front we leave January only behind 2014.

I agree that it should feel nice. Sunny and frosty is not too bad.

Posted

Sunny and frosty will do me unless we can get anything potent from the North or North East. Let see what Feb brings instead. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Where there's hope 

Screenshot_20190130-135602_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190130-135553_Chrome.jpg