Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Yep all the models have corrected south, with some pushing it even more south, even the ones further north still miss the whole of Yorkshire. 

Game over. 

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
7 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

Yep all the models have corrected south, with some pushing it even more south, even the ones further north still miss the whole of Yorkshire. 

Game over. 

It's not over until tomorrow! I will fight til the end

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

It's not over until tomorrow! I will fight til the end

Its gone...just let it go

• Like 2

Posted

Screenshot_20190129-221232_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7177917ca70b16cba36a4122582c95f3.jpg

On the day it can still move 50miles north or south so we're not out of the woods yet!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

As per my post this morning, still think we may see snow on Saturday from the returning front.  And given the shift south today of the Thurs/Fri front, it may be we get more on Sat than Thu/Fri...

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Craigers said:

Screenshot_20190129-221232_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7177917ca70b16cba36a4122582c95f3.jpg

On the day it can still move 50miles north or south so we're not out of the woods yet!

The GFS is the most north though and even that has shifted south. At a push we could wait till tomorrow morning EURO4 but I highly doubt we'll see a shift north. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
17 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

As per my post this morning, still think we may see snow on Saturday from the returning front.  And given the shift south today of the Thurs/Fri front, it may be we get more on Sat than Thu/Fri...

Agreed.  Thursday may have eluded us....again!  But the weekend could still throw up some unexpected surprises.  That front is having a job moving through the UK because of the strengthening cold block to our East.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of weekend snow event for our region especially further East from the same front as it returns.

Next week is looking more and more in the balance as well after looking like a definite 'warm up' was on the cards a couple of days ago.  Time to look East?

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 1

Posted

Just a quick one on tonight.  The wind is switching more Westerly now meaning that any showers might start to reach the Western fringes of our region overnight.

It does look like that some kind of trough may push in during the early hours reaching the Western edge of our region around 4am / 5am.  Might not amount to anything but is likely to pep up the shower activity somewhat.  South Pennines areas may see a dusting?

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes, hopefully catch the returning front on sat itherwise unless a suprise pops up,it's a bust.

Posted
38 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

No that would fall as rain, please refer to the atmospheric conditions, we are talking -6 uppers in a strong wind from the east. The level of modification would bring rain even far inland, perhaps if the wrap round reaches the pennines above say 300m you'd see snow. 

It's like how even inland with -8 uppers in a NWly we still barely scrape a wintry mixture, for this setup you'd need -9 uppers or below, and even then for costal areas it'd be too marginal. 

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

No that would fall as rain, please refer to the atmospheric conditions, we are talking -6 uppers in a strong wind from the east. The level of modification would bring rain even far in land perhaps if the wrap round reaches the pennines above say 300m you'd see snow. 

It's like how even inland with -8 uppers in a NWly we still barely scrape a wintry mixture, for this setup you'd need -9 uppers or below, and even then for costal areas it'd be too marginal. 

I'm not convinced about that.  You might end up being right but it's too early to make that call at four days out IMHO.

Had any snow 'darn sarf' by the way?

Posted
1 minute ago, Kentish Snowman said:

I'm not convinced about that.  You might end up being right but it's too early to make that call at four days out IMHO.

Had any snow 'darn sarf' by the way?

What is inconsistent is whether there will be a wrap round, what is consistent however is the uppers, and - 6 uppers unfortunately won't cut it. 

And no just rain here but that's what you get for living right in the center of London too much UHI. Though Thursday is showing 6 hours of heavy snow for here so we'll see. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

What is inconsistent is whether there will be a wrap round, what is consistent however is the uppers, and - 6 uppers unfortunately won't cut it. 

And no just rain here but that's what you get for living right in the center of London too much UHI. Though Thursday is showing 6 hours of heavy snow for here so we'll see. 

I would have thought drier more continental air from the East would remove the need for uppers as low as that needed for snow from an Atlantic sourced NW such as we have now but I will bow down to your superior knowledge  :oldgood:

Good luck for Thursday!  We will never hear the end of it if London and the SE get a good dump though!  

Posted
9 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

I would have thought drier more continental air from the East would remove the need for uppers as low as that needed for snow from an Atlantic sourced NW such as we have now but I will bow down to your superior knowledge  

Good luck for Thursday!  We will never hear the end of it if London and the SE get a good dump though!  

You know the winds aren't from the continent by that point rigghhhhtttt. They are direct easterly from the North Sea 

ukwind.png

And yeah the EURO4 is gearing up for snowmagedden for the south (below).

19013118_2_2918.gif

GFS P at this rate it'll be a south coast event 

Edited by Cheese Rice

well it all went so wrong from being so good monday AM. i knew it really. was bound to be the case again. i fewl so despondant about it that ive actually lost trust in the models n any snow events becausr thy just dont come off and wasting days n week of excited. its such a shame that i love snow more than anything because otherwise it wouldnt matter would it. 

at least here on the edge of the NYM on my holiday it finally turned to snow at 2pm and gave about 2-4cm. so nice. at wshud at least last till i come home on a journey i was expecting to come back on in heavy snow.

Posted
23 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

You know the winds aren't from the continent by that point rigghhhhtttt. They are direct easterly from the North Sea 

ukwind.png

And yeah the EURO4 is gearing up for snowmagedden for the south (below).

19013118_2_2918.gif

GFS P at this rate it'll be a south coast event 

Ah but the North Sea is but a pond when compared to the Atlantic?!  

Point taken though we will see if it all ends in tears....again!

• Like 1

Posted

That's mad, at this rate it'll miss the Midlands 

_20190129_234457.JPG

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

That's mad, at this rate it'll miss the Midlands 

_20190129_234457.JPG

That is mad.  Don't tell shaky!  :80:

• Like 1

looks like the ssw missed us this time n took hold of the usa! have you all seen the severity their!-as always. why oh why we struggle so much. the atlantoc was their when the thames use to freeze up. n its not global warming. the weather just doesnt like us

Posted

..first venture into the regionals after a few months riding the disappointing model output forum 'hunt for something remotely cold' rollercoaster !...another big build  up and an even bigger let down ..all gone waaaaay way south..so far south that those snow clouds are gonna need a passport!..a pants 'winter' so far here in Gods own county...but there's always February ..right???..anyway..enough moaning..what will be will be ..hats off to all those that post their forecasts on here ...makes for great reading ...here's hoping for at least one decent fall of the white stuff before our thoughts turn to warmer months!!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well we can write off Thursday and Friday. With less cold weather trend on all models which suggest nothing in the first part half of feb. So the prospects of a winter of no measurable snow is on the cards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

LOL light snow shower right now.