Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
6 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Thursday delayed a little and precipitation weaker but still on. Looks like it will turn rain on the back edge. 

Looks rubbish on the latest Met video, doesn't reach Yorkshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

H&S got hold of winters and made them fit the snowflake era :oldrofl:

Seriously though, i've always been one to not expect much in winter unless there's an easterly or north easterly airflow with alot of moisture.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
9 minutes ago, Northern Sky said:

Looks rubbish on the latest Met video, doesn't reach Yorkshire.

It does however state that they don’t know the exact track yet and how far north it gets. And then there’s the wrap around later with the change of wind direction which could offer a kind of stall over our region for prolonged periods of snow.. If It is to reach our Regions hopefully the south west and Midlands don’t take to much intensity out of it..

Posted
23 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Amazing to think that despite this winter feeling generally chilly (even December never felt that warm) we are thursdays snow event away from joining the endless of Autumn 2014 as failing to provide snowcover by the end of January. The dustings don't count, i am yet to wake up to a 1cm cover.

If 1cm cover is the benchmark then we haven't had anything here since January 2013!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Again today I’ve been looking out of the window and staring at snow covered white fields,

All of them about fifty metres higher than where I am.

Textbook.

Posted

Temperature has plummeted here from 2.1 c to 0.6 c in the last 20 mins ( Dew point now -2 ) ....perhaps a chance of back edge snow for those of us in the East of the region at some altitude as the colder air arrives behind the front at 8pm ish

( if there is any precipitation left by then )

Edited by Jeremy Shockey

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
37 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Amazing to think that despite this winter feeling generally chilly (even December never felt that warm) we are thursdays snow event away from joining the endless of Autumn 2014 as failing to provide snowcover by the end of January. The dustings don't count, i am yet to wake up to a 1cm cover.

December felt warm enough here as did the first part of January. Turn your heating down a bit

Thursday is now beginning to be in doubt with a shift slightly southward. There's a chance that it may not even reach us.

Posted
1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Is Thursday off for here then 

Not yet but will need to keep an eye on shift southward plus the  weakening of the system.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, reef said:

If 1cm cover is the benchmark then we haven't had anything here since January 2013!

The Hull area has been really hard done by in recent years. It’s extraordinary that you got nothing from last year’s easterly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

It isn’t southward to any real extent, it is now weakening earlier, however, so that might affect areas to the East of our region. There is the possibilty of wraparound snow for those areas later but it’s a risky proposition. Sweet spot is west of Birmingham, maybe not reaching North Yorkshire (sorry folks) and maybe not much south of the dreaded M4.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Just sleet throughout here, around 1 degree too high once again with a covering above 200m in the nearby Wolds.

Need to start looking at buying a house above 400m if winters like this continue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
1 minute ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Is Thursday off for here then 

I can't see that being resolved until tomorrow at the earliest to be honest?

Will take a punt though and say it will remain cold into next week with more opportunities for snow from sliders into the weekend and early next week.

Whether they will bring us any snow though is another question altogether!  If we can get a Scandi wedge in place though that should at least help some colder air push in from the East as the Candian PV drains underneath the wedge from the West.

All a bit of guesswork (even call it hopecasting if you like) but as I have said before the signs are definitely there for an Easterly to pop up at relatively short notice.  We at least have a ticket for the lottery but is it the winner?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The ICON isn’t the most accurate model for us, it has to shift northwards massively for today, for example, and has a clear southwards bias. It’s a short range German model so, really, that’s its main purpose.

EURO4 is pretty decent for gauging falling snow (but rubbish for snow depths). 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, cheese said:

The Hull area has been really hard done by in recent years. It’s extraordinary that you got nothing from last year’s easterly.

In fairness nothing since 2010 -  youngest children around here have never experienced snow! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

decent snow cover is becoming a thing of the past in hull,for whatever reason we just dont get the snow like we used to.

Always remember the n and ne in the 80s.

Bone dry but freezing here in west yorks and Hull ect waking up to 8+" on the news.

Well jelous back then.

Posted

Well i live in Hull well Hessle for last 11 years and we have havent done great since January 2013 were we had lying snow here for nearly two weeks. No one seems to mention Feb 2012 which was quite wintry for here maybe because it was sandwiched inbetween 2009/2010  snowfalls then the 2013 snowfalls. And wasnt the Cet for the first half of Feb 2012  sub zero. Im making it sound quite recent but was infact 7 years ago yikes.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hessle Owl said:

Well i live in Hull well Hessle for last 11 years and we have havent done great since January 2013 were we had lying snow here for nearly two weeks. No one seems to mention Feb 2012 which was quite wintry for here maybe because it was sandwiched inbetween 2009/2010  snowfalls then the 2013 snowfalls. And wasnt the Cet for the first half of Feb 2012  sub zero. Im making it sound quite recent but was infact 7 years ago yikes.

Yes it's amazing how the west side can have snow and over in the east none! 

Posted

Thursday into Friday looking very wobbly indeed. I would say 40% chance of it reaching here.

Over to February then and the long wait continues. The only good thing after boring December is that the lawns haven't grown since I cut them early Jan. If it kept as milf it would need another cut by now and the hedge would have needed cutting. 

Posted

Been a child of the 70's and always lived in either Beverley or Hull it's has become very co-apparent things are very very different nowadays. I hate to say it kids nowadays are gonna have to start travelling to see decent snow even in pole position spots in easterlies or northerlies it just doesn't seem to deliver anymore. 

Edited by Light Without Heat